WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hawken Buff

+2
Tank
Bushfire
6 posters

Go down

Hawken Buff Empty Hawken Buff

Post by Bushfire 01/12/21, 01:08 am

Some will have seen on the other forum but here is my biggest achievement with the black powder thus far, first shot was a double lung at 35m, rocked him hard, loaded up quickly for a second which went through the heart and ended up lodged in the gut. I don't score heads of anything but for reference he went 46" wide with broken tips. I was after a big wide bull and was not disappointed.

110gr Pyrodex P and 250 gr Hornady Monoflex sabots.

Hawken Buff 20210811
Hawken Buff 20210810
Hawken Buff 20210812
Bushfire
Bushfire

Admin, EdMehlig, Maxjon, John Willoughby, Tank, 188mule, EasternOregon .50cal GPR and like this post

Back to top Go down

Hawken Buff Empty Re: Hawken Buff

Post by Tank 01/12/21, 03:50 am

Holy cow!  (No pun intended)
Deadset awesome!
Is that a Missouri River Hawken?  What a stunner!
That must’ve been some experience bloke.  Must’ve had the blood properly pumping!
Nicely done!
When, where, how?  
Tank
Tank

Back to top Go down

Post by Bushfire 01/12/21, 04:19 am

Yes that was my Missouri River .50 cal. 

Got the heart going a but that's for sure, my mate used it too to shoot his bull. 

I tried for a long time to get access up north but it wasn't happening. Ended up using a guide, we were lucky it was my old man, myself and a mate from SA. We're in Vic and we flew out two days after we left a lockdown and by the time we got back we were heading into another one!
Bushfire
Bushfire

stikshooter and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/12/21, 11:06 am

Bushfire, I was hoping you would post this Hawken Buff 3355125947  This is just Plain AWESOME!! What a cool animal, and HUGE! I would love to hunt them someday
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Bushfire, Maxjon, Tank, Ivan Wagurak and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 04/01/22, 07:13 pm

looks like a great hunt. That bullet left a good hole 😃

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Bushfire and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 15/01/22, 06:09 pm

That bullet, hornady monoflex, it looks absolutely perfect. How does one know or dare to try out such a light bullet, caliber combination on such a huge animal?🤔🤔

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15/01/22, 06:44 pm

That 250 Monoflex would have been cruising right along with 110 Grains of Pyrodex P, I just got done running one of my 413 Grain Cast Bullets over my new Chronograph with only 70 Grains (By WEIGHT) Of Pyrodex P, I got 1,464 Fps. I would say that 250 Grain Hornady Monoflex with 110 Grains of Pyro P would have been around 2,000 Fps, That is fairly SERIOUS Medicine for Most ANY Critter out there
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Bushfire 16/01/22, 03:04 pm

Shorty wrote:That bullet, hornady monoflex, it looks absolutely perfect. How does one know or dare to try out such a light bullet, caliber combination on such a huge animal?🤔🤔

I'm a lifelong hunter, which has given me a pretty good gauge on bullet performance over the years. It was either a 250gr monoflex copper from a muzzleloader or a 250gr copper from my 9.3x62. Reading anecdotals of others experiences using different bullets on large game also give you confidence or deters you from certain options. I spoke with Hornady prior to the hunt and they assured me it would be fine on buffalo also. And lastly, being willing to roll the dice and know worst case scenario to have a tree handy if I needed to elevate myself from the reach of a pissed off bull! 

The one place I realised was no good for help was places like ALR and Muzzleloading forum, the guys who literally do not hunt anything other than paper giving advice. Don't get me wrong anything flintlock or roundball related they are great resources.
Bushfire
Bushfire

Admin, EdMehlig and EasternOregon .50cal GPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 06/02/22, 08:49 am

Sweet. Nice job. I had a chance to try to get one of these in Texas when I was on my bison hunt but it was with archery only. The outfitter had one on another ranch he was wanting to get rid of because he said "he's an onery cuss". I would have done it if I hadn't already got my bison and didn't have enough cash on hand. I think he did end up shooting it before it killed or injured someone.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down