WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209

2 posters

Go down

Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 Empty Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 02/12/21, 10:52 pm

I've done a handful of CVA, Traditions and lately, the old work horse in my day... The Winchester X-150. This rifle is the one that started it all for CVA. Huge quality jump, Stainless steel barrel, a 3lb trigger, heavy duty stock to suck up recoil.

The bad?

Man were they dirty pigs in the breech area! A slotted 209, #11 or Musket ignition would torch scopes, spray cap residue into your face and clean up, was a chore.

First thing first, Replacing that slotted breech plug with the Hex head plug.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-2888
Teflon tape works extremely well at keeping the plug from freezing up and clean up is a breeze.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-2892

A ratchet, extension and proper fitting metric socket makes for a much better breech plug remover as well!
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-3051

A slightly modified ( Both in Length and Diameter) stainless steel freeze plug ( 12mm ) is added to the face of the bolt. I simply mark the center by cocking the bolt and firing the trigger. Once the imprint is made, I drill out the new bolt face to the new firing pin diameter. I don't remember the size, but if you are doing the work, you'll be able to take a look at it and decide whats best.

Factory VS modded.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-0437

If the gap between the face of the bolt and primer, is to tight, the rifles bolt will not properly lock up with the trigger.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-0438

The X-150 was a beast with with Blackhorn209 and primer blow by was greatly reduced by 95% + I could never fully get it perfectly sealed, but I think with a stronger bolt face mod and a modded breech plug that flowed better, I am willing to bet one could get it shooting 100% blow by free.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 IMG-0564
100gr BH209, 300gr Speer Gold Dot at 100 yards.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 100-3185

In the end, Blackhorn209 got way to expensive for me to shoot and having a ton of 2fg and 3fg, I switched it back over to #11 caps and hand cast conicals. I rarely ever shoot the rifle these days, but it has a lot of sentimental meaning behind it, so I will always enjoy that rifle.
Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 IMG-0560

This mod can be done on pretty much any CVA Bolt action rifles. Traditions, can be tricky due to their 2 piece breech plugs, but the Evolution I had, fired BH209 without a hitch, even with its 2 piece plug. Go figure!

Admin
Admin

https://www.BS-BP.com

Admin, Steelheader32, Ivan Wagurak, 188mule, TD BRIGHT and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209 Empty Re: Converting an old bolt action ML to shoot BH209

Post by 188mule 10/04/22, 06:39 am

Could you give us some more details on how you did your bolt modifications? Thanks

188mule

Robwheeler likes this post

Back to top Go down