WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fouling shot or cold bore shot??

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Fouling shot or cold bore shot??

Post by Kurt 02/01/22, 11:24 am

Here is the target from today 1/2/22. I use a 6 o'clock hold on the black bull. I marked the order of the shots. The bull is 5.5 inches in diameter and at fifty yards the front sight is just as wide as the bull. The group measures 3 inches center to center. I am not sure I can do better than this as it may be my eyes. I have an old target from years ago that I shot at 50 yards with 100 grains 2F and a RB that measures 1 inch center to center. So either the gun has faded or I have. With the three-inch group, I feel good about a fifty-yard shot from a rest so that is how I'll hunt.Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 Imag0917

Kurt

Ivan Wagurak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Fouling shot or cold bore shot??

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/01/22, 02:38 pm

That’s good Kurt!!!! Nothing wrong with a 3” group at all. I got rained out so I ended up making some bullet lube for my ne, first batch so I’ll see how it goes before I make too much of it 😂
Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 2f1ee910
Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 Daa84510
Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 Eaf06210
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/01/22, 02:40 pm

After everything is cold I’ll see how it coats patch material. I actually bought a new rear sight for my ne for the same reason with my eyes the front sight is super clear along with the target nowFouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 49258e10
Fouling shot or cold bore shot?? - Page 2 9aadeb10

Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/01/22, 02:47 pm

But I want to get the prb’s dialed in first
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 02/01/22, 03:53 pm

Ivan, I like that sight and am thinking about buying one. I like the looks of the lube! Seems to fill the grease groves up nicely. Good looking bullet as well!

I'm enjoying being back into ML. I cast up some fresh round balls and I'm going out a bit tomorrow. I've seen deer both times I've been out since the season started but they were too far for the crossbow. Tomorrow should be good weather, low forties during the day and below freezing at night so If I'm lucky I can wait till Tuesday to cut it up. Of course, I have to part it out cause I can't lift a whole one. Too decrepit. Smile

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/01/22, 05:16 pm

Kurt that lube was easy to make. It’s tacky with out being messy I’ll have to try some patches with it to see how those will line up because I primarily hunt in the cold I used 30% bees wax 70% plain unsalted crisco. I had to look to make sure my wife weren’t looking at what I’m posting 😁
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 03/01/22, 04:39 pm

I went out today and had eight deer show up just short of a previously ranged 80 yards. It was about 4;30 and the bright sunlight had ended and its reflection off my front sight went with it. I switched over to my other glasses to see the sight better and watched the deer string from my right to left at about 75 yards. Though there were some nice fat does in that line I could not, in good conscience, attempt a shot at the range. Deer too far, front sight too big, and eyes too old. There was a smaller doe with a bad front leg limp that I thought I'd try if it came close enough but it slowly worked its way too far to my left. Since it was alone at this point I thought I would try to reposition in case it came in a bit more but it saw my movement and made three very pretty high arching bounds into the brush. I hope those made a skeletal adjustment that helped that limp. It was 42 degrees (F) most of the day and 28 when I left for home.

Kurt

Admin and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 03/01/22, 05:37 pm

Glad to see you’re getting out and seeing them. I’ve had a few that I couldn’t get a clean shot on this season and let them walk too. Good call
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tank 03/01/22, 07:05 pm

Ha! Good for you for getting out on them!
New Year’s Eve here was 116F.....what a difference 12,000 miles makes!
Tank
Tank

Admin, Ivan Wagurak and Kurt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 03/01/22, 07:41 pm

Kurt wrote:Though there were some nice fat does in that line I could not, in good conscience, attempt a shot at the range. Deer too far, front sight too big, and eyes too old.

I can’t like this enough Kurt, You did the right thing by not trying to take a Shot that you weren’t comfortable with, It’s to bad that EVERY Hunter out there can’t think this exact same way.

As many of you have seen through my YouTube Videos, I shoot some EXTREME Distance on Targets, But I would NEVER attempt those Shots at an Animal, As a Hunter I owe it to them to do everything in my power to Kill them as Quickly and Humanely as Possible
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Ivan Wagurak and Kurt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tank 03/01/22, 07:54 pm

Ethics are rare today.  Passing up a shot is something that comes with maturity, empathy and genuine consideration for your prey.
Takes a real ‘Hunter’ to recognise when to squeeze that trigger.  Comes with age too.
Congrats.  May the gods smile on your next outing.
Tank
Tank

Admin, Ivan Wagurak and Kurt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 17/01/22, 01:00 pm

Just to put an end to this, today is the last day and we had snow last night and it's 26F and still snowing. I'm done and no deer. Beans and rice till spring;). I have to admit I saw very few deer this year and can only hope the next will be better. I went out yesterday but I can only say that at 26 degrees with no wind and the sun on me was a nice sit in the woods. Even once the sun was down I was comfortable without wind. I'll do some pheasant hunting now till the end of February. I'm going to miss the venison. I loaded my rifle with a drop tube so I'm going to leave it and if there is a warm spell I'll try to experiment more. Thanks.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2