WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter

3 posters

Go down

Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter Empty Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter

Post by Big Sky Bryan 15/02/22, 08:18 pm

Hey guy's who besides L&R makes a replacement lock for a Lyman GPR flinter made by Investarms? All my cap guns work great, but this darn thing is slow so I'm thinking a new lock or do any of you have secrets on how to make my lock faster?
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter Empty Re: Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter

Post by deerstalkert 15/02/22, 10:19 pm

Big Sky, can you post inside pictures of your lock. shots of the tumbler and sear. if you are able also shots of the bridle, tumbler and sear disassembled, showing the bare plate. don't try this without a spring vise.
if it shows wear on the plate polish the heck out of everything,

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter Empty Re: Need a replacement lock for my Lyman GPR Flinter

Post by deerstalkert 15/02/22, 10:42 pm

also measure using the smooth end of wire drill bit, the flash hole. should be 1/16 or .0623 inch.
if smaller drill it to 1/16.  any bigger and accuracy/velocity will be erratic. any bigger and you will have a self priming port . fffg will sometimes dribble a little if it is very fine.
another hazard if you go bigger than 1/16 is anyone standing to your right on ignition won't need to shave for a while.assuming it is a right handed flinter.

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 16/02/22, 05:14 am

Deerstalkert,

Yeah I did drill it out to 5/64" about a week ago and it now goes off every time. LOL though about on lookers not needing to shave!
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 16/02/22, 05:18 am

Deerstalkert,

Yeah I will send a photo over. Since I'm not familar with disassembly I'm not going to take it apart without someone standing by to guide me. Been there done that and I learn from my mistakes. This flinter has few hours on it, but I think a good cleaning and lube would help, but if it's like any average gun they all can use trigger work.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 16/02/22, 10:33 am

best advice is what you gave your self. clean and lube.
i have seen flashholes so large the discharge from them looked equal to the muzzle flash!
unfortunately it is a law of diminishing returns type thing. as the flashhole grows the barrel pressure drops and accuracy drops off.
hope you find the sweet spot that every flinter has.

deerstalkert

Big Sky Bryan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 19/02/22, 10:11 am

L&R locks produces replacement locks for factory guns.

https://lr-rpl.com/
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Big Sky Bryan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down