WELCOME to Idaho Lewis’s Muzzleloading Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout

5 posters

Go down

Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout Empty Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout

Post by Northerngos 04/05/22, 05:27 pm

Hi all,
I’ll be working up some loads for a Clements .50 cal old army conversion and a tc scout pistol in .50 and .54. Does anybody have experience with any of these?

Northerngos

Back to top Go down

Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout Empty Re: Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout

Post by Jitterbug 05/05/22, 07:36 am

Hope posting a link to another Forum isn’t “bad form.” scratch

Here’s a link that might be helpful re:T/C Scout pistol:
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/the-mighty-tc-scout.35093/

The author seems oddly familiar… Cool

There is another post floating around “the forums” online that shows factory loading tables, from the manual. I’m busy right now, but if I see it in the near future, I’ll post up a link to that, as well.

I’ve got a Scout pistol myself… patiently waiting for me! Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout 3355125947

Jitterbug

Northerngos likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerngos 05/05/22, 11:31 pm

Thanks much for the reply! That was a great read. I do have the factory tables, I picked up a manual on eBay. I think they have more for 10 or so dollars. I look forward to getting it tuned up, but also am hoping that someone has some pet loads that have worked for them in .54 or .50. When you do get it fired up I’d be curious what you find. I’d be happy to share the same Smile

Northerngos

Jitterbug likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerngos 22/05/22, 10:29 pm

Jitterbug,
Do you mind if I test my pm function by sending you a message? Looks like things are sitting in the “outbox”

Northerngos

Jitterbug likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jitterbug 25/05/22, 12:48 pm

Northerngos wrote:Jitterbug,
Do you mind if I test my pm function by sending you a message?  Looks like things are sitting in the “outbox”

Go right ahead! Clements .50 ROA and Tc scout 3355125947

I’ll warn you that I don’t get to the Forum every day, though.

On some Forums, PMs sit in your “Outbox” until they’re opened by the recipient.

I haven’t looked to see how they work, on this Forum.

Jitterbug

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 25/05/22, 03:17 pm

You can send one to me I’m in it daily
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Northerngos and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerngos 27/05/22, 01:17 pm

Thanks guys!

Northerngos

Back to top Go down

Post by .45flintlongrifle 29/10/22, 12:57 am

I bought a Thompson/Center Scout pistol in .54 caliber the first year that it was introduced. I purchased a variety of swaged round balls, and both the T/C Maxi-Ball & Maxi-Hunter projectiles.

Unfortunately, I had little time to form a long-term opinion about the pistol, as at the conclusion of my very first range session with the pistol, a fellow club member saw it, and asked to purchase it. I had waited about 6 months to get mine, so these guns were in short supply at the time. I had also ordered a set of those very funky looking T/C quick-detachable scope rings & bases. Both the rings & the base were 1-pc. The rings were split horizontally, and were integral with an extended bottom portion that had a kinda tapered foot on each end. These tapered feet fit under a pair of spring loaded round rods that were sprung vertically. The base was also 1-pc. This base/ring contraption was the only thing available for the Scout pistol at that time. You just pushed the scope forwards, or backwards, against the spring loaded rods to allow either foot enough clearance to be lifted upwards, and be removed. The springs were quite stout, as I recall (been a LONG time). As I said, clunky & funky, but it worked. I can't speak to the repeatability of return to zero.

This fellow club member that day REALLY REALLY, REALLY, REALLY wanted my .54 caliber Scout pistol. I kept telling him that I was not interested in selling it because I had only had it a couple of days since everything showed up in the mail (pre-internet days).

This guy finally offered me enough "STUPID MONEY " in cash, that I finally agreed to sell the T/C .54 caliber Scout pistol; an extra T/C Scout breech plug; the T/C Scout breech plug tool; the T/C funky scope rings/bases; a Weaver 2.5x black handgun scope; a Pelican hard case; 2 boxes each of 0.530" & 0.535" diameter balls; pre-cut cotton patches in several different thicknesses; 4 boxes each of T/C Maxi-Ball & Maxi-Hunter lead conicals; a T/C Maxi-Ball mould w/handles; a T/C Maxi-Hunter mould w/handles; a custom brass cleaning/loading rod; an assortment of .54 caliber cleaning jags, bore brushes, and bore mops, an adjustable brass powder measure w/funnel; a 1-pound can of fffg black powder that had been unopened when I started that range session; and the owners manual. All of this was worth about $350.00 in those days. I finally accepted an offer of $750.00 for everything, and part of the deal was he had to take right that minute. He didn't even want to wait for me to finish shooting, nor to clean the pistol. Which at that point, had about 40 rounds downrange.

I've always regretted selling that pistol, as the .54 caliber ones were made in the smallest numbers. Recoil was tolerable. The Scout pistol had some weight to it. Add in the heavy funky Q-D T/C scope rings/bases, and the Weaver pistol scope, and the package must have been pushing the 4.5 pound mark. The Maxi-Hunter conicals had the most recoil, but the Colt Peacemaker shaped grips mitigated the recoil well.

I was shooting off of a pistol rest for the forearm, and a leather shooting bag for the butt of the pistol grip.

.45flintlongrifle

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 02/01/23, 07:26 pm

Would like to see more information posted about your ROA conversion. I have a factory ROA that I've been working on over the last year.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Northerngos 11/01/23, 07:24 pm

.45flintlongrifle-I recently had some scout pistol barrels redone, I’ll let you know how they perform!

188mule- I purchased the revolver after it had been worked on. Dave clements is a specialty revolver gunsmith who recently retired. He used to take old armys, replace the barrel and cylinder and tune them up. He changed them to 50 cal. So the cylinder was five shot, could shoot .490 round balls or .488 conicals. Mine has two cylinders. By compressing 3f 777 I am getting about 1160 fps with a 275gr conical and extreme spreads in the single digits. They come up for sale once or twice a year. There is one for sale now on gunbroker that is kind of a different two tone. Blued frame with stainless barrel and cylinder. What kind of work have you done on yours?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/965439144

Northerngos

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 13/01/23, 10:44 am

Northerngos wrote:.45flintlongrifle-I recently had some scout pistol barrels redone, I’ll let you know how they perform!

188mule- I purchased the revolver after it had been worked on.  Dave clements is a specialty revolver gunsmith who recently retired.  He used to take old armys, replace the barrel and cylinder and tune them up.  He changed them to 50 cal.  So the cylinder was five shot, could shoot .490 round balls or .488 conicals.  Mine has two cylinders.  By compressing 3f 777 I am getting about 1160 fps with a 275gr conical and extreme spreads in the single digits.  They come up for sale once or twice a year.  There is one for sale now on gunbroker that is kind of a different two tone.  Blued frame with stainless barrel and cylinder.  What kind of work have you done on yours?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/965439144
Took a look at the one on GB. Nice looking handgun! Actually not a bad price for what it is. Sounds like yours is a shooter!

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 13/01/23, 10:52 am

I bought a ROA couple years ago on GB, paid $425 for a used one in good shape. Have a pile of BP revolvers and always wanted a ROA for hunting. WELL, there were definitely some issues with my ROA. I have taken care of a few of the problems, just gotta get out and shoot it. I'm sure the front sight will be the next project.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down