WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swabing between shots

+2
Ivan Wagurak
RETIEF VENTER
6 posters

Go down

Swabing between shots Empty Swabing between shots

Post by RETIEF VENTER 30/11/21, 06:37 am

Congratulations Idaho with your forum. I am following you for years now.
I cannot recall your information on swabbing between shots.
Will you please divulge your secret.?????
Details are absulutly required. (Joke, but if you are willing)
Greetings from South Africa.

RETIEF VENTER

541Grimm, Tank and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Swabing between shots Empty Re: Swabing between shots

Post by Ivan Wagurak 12/12/21, 06:04 am

Hello Retief Venter. Greetings from Maine in the usa, I am not Idaho Lewis but I do follow his great teachings. He has a video on it. But it if you can’t find it this is what I do On the range, yes swab between every shot, use 1 cleaning patch and alcohol either 91% isopropyl or we use Heet fuel line treatment in the red bottle some times a second is needed by 2 dry patches. Usually when I’m hunting it shoots constantly and I can shoot 2-3 without cleaning. I put the alcohol in a clear spray bottle and mark it with what’s on it. Hope this helps you in South Africa
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 12/12/21, 06:56 am

I am currently using Hoppes #9 and isopropyl Alcohol mixed 50/50 (Thanks Bestill Swabing between shots 3355125947 )

As my Spray bottle gets low i fill it back up with Straight Hoppes #9, so at this point i am Closer to Straight Hoppes #9, This is by far the best Swabbing solution i have ever used. I use to use High Content Isopropyl Alcohol, or HEET Fuel treatment in the RED Bottle, It worked good for me for the most part, But i started having issues with Patches Getting Stuck and having to Spray a bunch down the Barrel to free up the Stuck Patched Jag, The high content Alcohol is GREAT For fast Drying, But is also a Bad thing. I don’t have ANY troubles with My new Hoppes #9 Swabbing Solution, It is a MUCH MUCH Better way to go Swabing between shots 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Rvrrat14 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 12/12/21, 12:22 pm

Idaholewis wrote:I am currently using Hoppes #9 and isopropyl Alcohol mixed 50/50 (Thanks Bestill Swabing between shots 3355125947 )

As my Spray bottle gets low i fill it back up with Straight Hoppes #9, so at this point i am Closer to Straight Hoppes #9, This is by far the best Swabbing solution i have ever used. I use to use High Content Isopropyl Alcohol, or HEET Fuel treatment in the RED Bottle, It worked good for me for the most part, But i started having issues with Patches Getting Stuck and having to Spray a bunch down the Barrel to free up the Stuck Patched Jag, The high content Alcohol is GREAT For fast Drying, But is also a Bad thing. I don’t have ANY troubles with My new Hoppes #9 Swabbing Solution, It is a MUCH MUCH Better way to go Swabing between shots 3355125947

Thanks for the update good to know😜 I don’t remember off the top of my head what I was using for a solution if any at all in 54 ne that my patches and jag always got stuck so many years ago right at the very bottom of the pipe at that but it seams this year I’ve had the notion to pick it back up after watching your videos
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Touchrock 16/02/22, 08:48 pm

Lewis, are you using regular #9 or the #9 plus black powder solvent/ patch lube ?

J.Touchrock

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 17/02/22, 04:50 pm

I'd like to know what Hoppes #9 you're using also.  My swabbing solution consists of 50/50 Windex and 91% alcohol when shooting substitutes and black powder. But sometimes I simply swab with a spit patch. What I do is I put a patch in my mouth just prior to loading my rifle. After I shoot I'll take it out and replace it and swab the bore with the damp one both sides followed by a dry patch. This works great for BP in a pinch.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Swabing between shots Empty Alcohol & Hoppe 9

Post by Rvrrat14 20/02/22, 07:49 am

Deleted and edited below in next post.

Last edited by Rvrrat14 on 20/02/22, 06:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rvrrat14

Back to top Go down

Swabing between shots Empty High Content Alcohol is great……..

Post by Rvrrat14 20/02/22, 06:36 pm

Idaholewis wrote:I am currently using Hoppes #9 and isopropyl Alcohol mixed 50/50 (Thanks Bestill Swabing between shots 3355125947 )

What did you mean about high content alcohol is great for fast drying, but is also a bad thing? What makes it bad?
Thanks!

Rvrrat14

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 20/02/22, 07:00 pm

I always use 91% alcohol to swab the bore after cleaning with water. With a hot barrel the alcohol evaporates quickly then I swab with a patch of Cowboy Blend, dry patch and a couple patches of Bore Conditioner.
I agree swabbing between shots with a high concentration of alcohol is not a good idea as it removes any protective coating on the bore (oil, lube or whatever) and giving a chance for fouling to adhere to the bore.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20/02/22, 07:04 pm

J.Touchrock wrote:Lewis, are you using regular #9 or the #9 plus black powder solvent/ patch lube ?

I am using the Regular Hoppes #9, I was mixing it 50/50 with Alcohol, But i went away from the Alcohol and am using straight Hoppes #9 Now, This stuff works like a Dream for me Swabing between shots 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20/02/22, 07:13 pm

Rvrrat14 wrote:

What did you mean about high content alcohol is great for fast drying, but is also a bad thing?   What makes it bad?
Thanks!

High content meaning 91% Stuff instead of the weaker 70%, Iso HEAT in the Red Bottle is like 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, I use to use Iso HEAT in the Red Bottle but i quit and Went to Straight Hoppes #9

Alcohol does an AWESOME job of Drying Quickly, Which is Good, The Bad part about that is when it Dries you can get a Patched Jag STUCK (ask me how i know this Very Happy ) This happened to me several times, especially in my Fastest Twist Barrels. I had to Spray it straight down the Barrel along side my Stuck Rod to get the Patch good & wet so i could get it out. Hoppes #9 ended this problem, It is nice & slick going in and coming out. I will never use Straight Isopropyl Alcohol again for Swabbing between Shots, Hoppes #9 is FAR superior Swabing between shots 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Rvrrat14 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rvrrat14 20/02/22, 07:18 pm

Idaholewis wrote:
Rvrrat14 wrote:

What did you mean about high content alcohol is great for fast drying, but is also a bad thing?   What makes it bad?
Thanks!

High content meaning 91% Stuff instead of the weaker 70%, Iso HEAT in the Red Bottle is like 99% Isopropyl Alcohol, I use to use Iso HEAT in the Red Bottle but i quit and Went to Straight Hoppes #9

Alcohol does an AWESOME job of Drying Quickly, Which is Good, The Bad part about that is when it Dries you can get a Patched Jag STUCK (ask me how i know this Very Happy  ) This happened to me several times, especially in my Fastest Twist Barrels. I had to Spray it straight down the Barrel along side my Stuck Rod to get the Patch good & wet so i could get it out. Hoppes #9 ended this problem, It is nice & slick going in and coming out. I will never use Straight Isopropyl Alcohol again for Swabbing between Shots, Hoppes #9 is FAR superior Swabing between shots 3355125947

So you no longer use straight hi-grade Alcohol between shots, right? Do you still mix it 50/50 with #9 or just go straight #9?

Rvrrat14

TD BRIGHT likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 19/05/22, 07:10 pm

I'm rereading this thread and I know a lot of shooters that use straight Windex, the blue stuff.
I like using the 91% alcohol but I'm just wondering if a couple drops of dish detergent like Dawn would provide some lubrication for the patch?
Test to follow.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Big John likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum