WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any mushroom hunters out there?

3 posters

Go down

Any mushroom hunters out there? Empty Any mushroom hunters out there?

Post by Kurt 13/07/23, 08:45 am

Is this what is referred to as Chicken of the Woods? It is about 18 inches in diameter and is at the base of a large oak tree. Can I eat it without dying? Thanks.Any mushroom hunters out there? Imag1310

Kurt

squattingdog and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Any mushroom hunters out there? Empty Re: Any mushroom hunters out there?

Post by squattingdog 13/07/23, 04:39 pm

Kurt wrote:Is this what is referred to as Chicken of the Woods? It is about 18 inches in diameter and is at the base of a large oak tree. Can I eat it without dying? Thanks.Any mushroom hunters out there? Imag1310

Search google or some other search engine for a book on edible mushrooms. Best be safe...we don't like losing good members Smile
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 13/07/23, 04:53 pm

I contacted Penn State and they referred me to a contact nearby. I have to wait till tomorrow to do it. I did Google but I am still uncertain enough not to try it. I am about 99% certain it is Chicken of The Woods, but that 1% could be a killer. I read one listing that said to eat a small amount and then wait 24 hours to see how you feel before eating more. I think I read that advice in a Pat McManus story. I think it was The Grasshopper Trap. Could have been, Never Sniff a Gift Fish?

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 13/07/23, 04:59 pm

Kurt wrote:I contacted Penn State and they referred me to a contact nearby. I have to wait till tomorrow to do it. I did Google but I am still uncertain enough not to try it. I am about 99% certain it is Chicken of The Woods, but that 1% could be a killer. I read one listing that said to eat a small amount and then wait 24 hours to see how you feel before eating more. I think I read that advice in a Pat McManus story. I think it was The Grass Hopper trap.

I know the mushrooms we hunt up here in Colorado, well, at least one particular kind that we hunt that is for sure good. however, when not 100% sure, best to wait for the expert to get back to you. The key here is 100% sure. Eating a little and wait 24 hours, is like sitting near a ticking time bomb, sometimes it's a dud, sometimes not. Just wait my friend.
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Kurt and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 14/07/23, 11:17 am

Morels are the only mushrooms I know for certain.

Kurt

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rustycorvair 16/07/23, 09:55 am

Just remember, many in academia are often wrong.  Hopefully the worst that'll happen is you get the shits for a few days. Any mushroom hunters out there? 1f601

Rustycorvair

Kurt and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 16/07/23, 10:22 am

I ate a piece the size of a bluegill fillet, it was good no adverse effects. I watch a video Know Your Land, of a young guy here in PA who is an expert forager and naturalist and he pointed out that the only mushrooms similar were one that is the same color but not at all the same configuration and another that is somewhat similar but even better eating, so I was unlikely to go wrong. All the medicinal benefits were applicable to my needs. Sometimes when things like this happen I think I'm given little gifts.

Thanks for the replies! Kurt

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 28/07/23, 10:51 am

I thought I would add to this post this information should anyone be inclined to try this mushroom. It is found growing mainly on oak trees. There are a couple of other mushrooms similar, but both grow as somewhat individual plants similar to most mushrooms but the Chicken Of The Woods is an interconnected plant with a common base. I have been chopping the mushroom into half-inch pieces and mixing it with my venison burger, some onions, broccoli, and butter. I think it is good and adds a nice flavor that changes things up for me as, other than chicken, venison is my mainstay. I am just adding this to say if you think you might want to try it do. I know looking for it will be part of my late summer and fall from now on. Thanks.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down