WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

+3
EasternOregon .50cal GPR
EdMehlig
Admin
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 08/12/21, 06:15 am

My .45 Cal Rice Barrel, and a new personal best Shoot. I fell in love with my 1-24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Barrel, And of course my 1:20 Twist Rice as well. In short, My Rice Barrels are my TOP DOGS  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947 I ended up ordering a .45 Cal in 1:17 Twist to go with them, A dedicated “Long Ranger“ The Barrel Showed up Friday Morning, I installed a Lee Shaver adjustable front sight, And fitted the Barrel in the same TC Hawken Stock that the 1:24 Twist .50 Cal Rice Rests in. I group shot it Saturday Morning with 2 of Favorite Long Range .45 Cal Bullets, Both BACO Ellipticals (Paper Patch, and Grease Groove) Both bullets Shot AWESOME, about 3/4 to 1” at 100 Yards. I loaded up Monday morning and headed for 1,200 Yards

The Video


After getting everything setup the Fog Rolled in and had me at a “Stand Stil“ I waited for nearly 2 Hours, it finally lifted and turned out to be a really nice Day
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Rbt3beJ

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) T0n3h1U

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) MbgOGrW

The Bullet i chose for this outing was my BACO .453 Elliptical, Lubed with “Modified“ Bullshop’s NASA Lube
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Py5Ffnm

Barrel stil in the White, Has a total of 8 Shots fired through it at this Point (From Sighting in at 100 Yards Saturday Morning) It’s 9th Shot was at 1,200 Yards 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Geq7Nni

And lastly, Here are the 2 Bullets from Both Shots in the Video above, The bullet on the left is the Shot that hit Left, it was Damaged badly on the underside from a Rock, and the Bullet on the Right is the one that Hit the Steel Plate, If anyone thinks that these BIG Lead Bullets have NOTHING left on them at 1,200 Yards, You better Re-think that Very Happy  BIG Lead continues to be BAD @SS Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay Out there, Smashed Flat as a Razor, That is the Bullet Base you see, even the Sprue Cut Very Happy
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Eaqjlrl
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Big John likes this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 08/12/21, 06:27 am

After the Shoot above i came home and Cleaned the Barrel Good, Removed the Front Sight, Under Rib & Thimbles For Engraving & Hot Blueing, Pictures aren’t the Best here and do it NO Justice, Engraving turned out AMAZING  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947 The Barrel goes for Hot Blueing in the Morning
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Ud6hhBYm

With it‘s 1:17 Twist This is a TRUE “HOTROD Hawken“  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947  I decided to Name it “Eleanor” for the Shelby GT500 from the Movie “Gone in 60 Seconds”
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) FxpLrJs

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) WkBFa10m
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Steelheader32 and jcnull2305 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 08/12/21, 06:30 am

After Hot Blue

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) JjvhRod
1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2MoYjQq

Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

EdMehlig, HC and jcnull2305 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by EdMehlig 08/12/21, 06:08 pm

You simply amaze me with your shooting ability. I don't think a lot of us could do that with a scope rifle and here you are doing it with a peep sight. 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Posts : 134
Join date : 2021-11-26
Age : 73

HC, jcnull2305 and Big John like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 08/12/21, 07:12 pm

EdMehlig wrote:You simply amaze me with your shooting ability.   I don't think a lot of us could do that with a scope rifle and here you are doing it with a peep sight.  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947

 Thank you Ed, Not bad for 20/100 Vision Shocked  Peep sights definitely work for me 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

jcnull2305 likes this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 08/12/21, 10:51 pm

that is amazing to watch 😁😲👍

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Posts : 93
Join date : 2021-12-05
Age : 32

EdMehlig and jcnull2305 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by jcnull2305 09/12/21, 07:04 pm

What Lew doesn't *EvEr* do is show us pics/video of him shooting.  I know why...  He doesn't want any of us to know how he does it - not completely.  Well, it just so happens, Lewis (IF that's your real name...) that we had a sketch artist in the tree line, and this is the pic they drew of your shooting position:

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Fulton12
jcnull2305
jcnull2305

Posts : 13
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 53
Location : Ohio

Muzzlestuffer likes this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 09/12/21, 08:18 pm

jcnull2305 wrote:What Lew doesn't *EvEr* do is show us pics/video of him shooting.  I know why...  He doesn't want any of us to know how he does it - not completely.  Well, it just so happens, Lewis (IF that's your real name...) that we had a sketch artist in the tree line, and this is the pic they drew of your shooting position:

You caught me 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1139610133
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

jcnull2305 and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 09/12/21, 08:20 pm

There is an Old Guy that does shoot like that, i have seen pictures of him in this shooting position. It looks uncomfortable to me?
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

jcnull2305 and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by jcnull2305 09/12/21, 08:31 pm

I tried it with a .338 Lapua Mag.  Only I thought you were supposed steady the rifle stock on your chin... 

boy was I wrong.
jcnull2305
jcnull2305

Posts : 13
Join date : 2021-12-06
Age : 53
Location : Ohio

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 09/12/21, 10:35 pm

jcnull2305 wrote:I tried it with a .338 Lapua Mag.  Only I thought you were supposed steady the rifle stock on your chin... 

boy was I wrong.

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1139610133
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by bullshop 27/01/22, 04:22 pm

One or more of the shooters in the US shooting team at the first international Creedmoor  match shot in that position and was one of the top shooters.   Having the rear sight mounted  as far to the rear as possible on the butt stock certainly add substantial sight radios.  Myself I think if I ever did manage to contort myself into that position I may be stuck that way for some time before I could straighten out.
Anyhoo that is some great shooting. I want to get one of those Rice barrels but have not yet made the plunge. I was real close but faltered in my attempt to justify it with the war departments minister of finance. It was pointed out that in order to do so I may have to sell something similar currently in possession. I felt that was an extreme position for her to take so chose to drop the issue for now and wait for more advantageous timing when refusal will be unlikely and may even be looked at as a reward for some service.

bullshop

Posts : 51
Join date : 2021-12-30

EasternOregon .50cal GPR, jcnull2305 and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Bronko22000 31/03/22, 07:59 am

bullshop wrote:One or more of the shooters in the US shooting team at the first international Creedmoor  match shot in that position and was one of the top shooters.   Having the rear sight mounted  as far to the rear as possible on the butt stock certainly add substantial sight radios.  Myself I think if I ever did manage to contort myself into that position I may be stuck that way for some time before I could straighten out.
Anyhoo that is some great shooting.   I want to get one of those Rice barrels but have not yet made the plunge.  I was real close but faltered in my attempt to justify it with the war departments minister of finance.   It was pointed out that in order to do so I may have to sell something similar currently in possession.     I felt that was an extreme position for her to take so chose to drop the issue for now and wait for  more advantageous timing when refusal will be unlikely and may even be looked at as a reward for some service.
Both yours and my minister of finance must have went to the same war college! I already have a shotgun on the chopping block as well as a .45 GM LRH barrel.  I'm also considering selling off a bunch of my CF rifles and hunt solely with muzzleloaders. I can't remember the last time I had to shoot more than once anyway be it muzzy or CF.  I'll still hang onto my Win 94s and Marlin 1895s, 1874 Sharps replica and my host of.22s.
Oh yea, the last time I shot more than once was my cow elk a couple years ago. The first shot killed her but she didn't know it.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Guest 31/03/22, 09:50 am

Bronko22000 wrote:
bullshop wrote:One or more of the shooters in the US shooting team at the first international Creedmoor  match shot in that position and was one of the top shooters.   Having the rear sight mounted  as far to the rear as possible on the butt stock certainly add substantial sight radios.  Myself I think if I ever did manage to contort myself into that position I may be stuck that way for some time before I could straighten out.
Anyhoo that is some great shooting.   I want to get one of those Rice barrels but have not yet made the plunge.  I was real close but faltered in my attempt to justify it with the war departments minister of finance.   It was pointed out that in order to do so I may have to sell something similar currently in possession.     I felt that was an extreme position for her to take so chose to drop the issue for now and wait for  more advantageous timing when refusal will be unlikely and may even be looked at as a reward for some service.
Both yours and my minister of finance must have went to the same war college! I already have a shotgun on the chopping block as well as a .45 GM LRH barrel.  I'm also considering selling off a bunch of my CF rifles and hunt solely with muzzleloaders. I can't remember the last time I had to shoot more than once anyway be it muzzy or CF.  I'll still hang onto my Win 94s and Marlin 1895s, 1874 Sharps replica and my host of.22s.
Oh yea, the last time I shot more than once was my cow elk a couple years ago.  The first shot killed her but she didn't know it.

Selling off your CF's: not a smart idea....If you have to ask why??? 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2641152013

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Bronko22000 31/03/22, 11:56 am


Selling off your CF's: not a smart idea....If you have to ask why??? 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2641152013 [/quote]

And why not? I can probably get more for them now than what I paid for them. Oh besides my lever guns I will hang onto my AR because I have thousands of rounds for it just in case and I'll also hang onto my long range rifle again just in case! 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2641152013 affraid
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Guest 31/03/22, 05:12 pm

Bronko22000 wrote:
Selling off your CF's: not a smart idea....If you have to ask why??? 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2641152013

And why not? I can probably get more for them now than what I paid for them.  Oh besides my lever guns I will hang onto my AR because I have thousands of rounds for it just in case and I'll also hang onto my long range rifle again just in case!  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 2641152013   affraid [/quote]

Sure 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1139610133

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by EdMehlig 31/03/22, 05:24 pm

All I know is if I ever went to compete in one of those long-range competitions and saw Lew show up. I'd pack my bags and go home. 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1986740415
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Posts : 134
Join date : 2021-11-26
Age : 73

Admin, HC and J.Touchrock like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by bullshop 31/03/22, 07:00 pm

I am interested in that GM LRH 45 barrel if your selling.

bullshop

Posts : 51
Join date : 2021-12-30

Admin and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Bronko22000 31/03/22, 08:50 pm

If I do sell I already have it promised to another member.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Admin 31/03/22, 09:18 pm

EdMehlig wrote:All I know is if I ever went to compete in one of those long-range competitions and saw Lew show up.  I'd pack my bags and go home.  1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1986740415

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) 1696809945 Cmon Ed! I would enjoy visiting with ya, I hope to get to meet you one day
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

EdMehlig likes this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by bullshop 01/04/22, 07:38 am

I will play.

bullshop

Posts : 51
Join date : 2021-12-30

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Bronko22000 01/04/22, 10:39 am

Are you in PA Bullshop? Ed and I are.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by bullshop 01/04/22, 10:43 am

No Sir I am in south west Montana in Dell just over the divide from Mr. Lewis.

bullshop

Posts : 51
Join date : 2021-12-30

Admin, HC and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Bronko22000 02/04/22, 12:43 pm

Lew I just watched that video again and shame on you for not bringing your tools with you to get that patch out! I have a decent size tackle box, its actually an MTM shooters box, that I take with me every time I shoot my muzzies. Your video shows that you'll never know what you're going to run into when shooting. It pays to have them along each and every time.
But hey, at least you know where to start next time out.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by 1874sharpsshooter 10/04/22, 11:22 am

Bullshop if you are who I am thinking of I use to buy bullets from you when you were in alaska. If this is you do you have a website or a way to order more ?

1874sharpsshooter

Posts : 13
Join date : 2021-11-29

Back to top Go down

1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist) Empty Re: 1,200 Yard .45 Cal Sidelock (Rice Barrels 1:17 Twist)

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum