WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry

4 posters

Go down

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry Empty Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry

Post by Bushfire 23/12/21, 05:46 pm

To make amends for doing on a rant in another thread I thought I'd do something productive. 

This was made with buffalo I hunted this year but I generally use venison and it's the same yummy result.

300-400 grams of finely sliced meat (maybe bit less than a pound of meat in American money?)
1 Brown onion finely sliced
2 bunches brocolini cut in half
3 or 4 garlic cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger paste or half an inch of ginger root chopped
Oyster sauce
Fish sauce
Peanut oil

Optional - meat marinade
Chinese cooking wine 
Sesame oil
Corn flour 
White pepper ground 

Firstly, I cook on a wok but any rimmed pan will work. I don't work off measurements just what feels right but I've added in estimates where I can.

Put in half a cup or so of water on medium heat, once about boiling blanch brocolini until it turns vibrant green then remove. Discard water and dry pan. 

Return wok to heat and reduce to low-med, add in some Peanut oil and onion. I keep moving it around, you want it softened but not caramelised. 

Once soft add a little more oil if drying out and put in garlic and ginger, it is important that this foes not burn or the garlic will turn bitter. 

Once fragrant remove all and return wok to heat. Add meat in batches, you want it browned on both sides nut not really cooked all the way through, just until there's not red showing. Remove and replace with next batch.

Once done add everything back in with a good dollop or 3 of oyster sauce and a splash of fish sauce. Give a good mix and let it thicken up for 5 mins give or take. Have a taste and if too salty sprinkle some sugar over it to balance. 

At this point you're done, remove and add to a bowl with some long grain rice, make sure you get the juices into the bowl. It's a big hit with my family. I can't add heat to cooking anymore so I usually add a good sprinkle of white pepper over the top. 

For marinade just mix all ingredients together and let sit for 10 mins or so before starting. It does add a little bit to the dish but isn't make or break to me and I don't do it if time is tight. 

Enjoy 

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry 20211011
Bushfire
Bushfire

EdMehlig, Magnum, .50calcoyote and UFFDA like this post

Back to top Go down

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry Empty Re: Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry

Post by Admin 23/12/21, 06:17 pm

That makes me hungry Bushfire!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry Empty Re: Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry

Post by Buck 06/02/22, 11:19 am

Bushfire,

Thank you, good supper my friend ...

Buck
Buck

http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by UFFDA 11/02/22, 02:29 pm

That dish looks downright delish.

UFFDA

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/02/22, 04:38 pm

Hey Bushfire, were you able to keep all of the Meat? I know guy’s that have been on African Safari hunts and they couldn’t keep the Meat, They could only eat it there. Just curious if your Hunt was something like this?
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Buck 12/02/22, 09:43 am

Idaholewis wrote:Hey Bushfire, were you able to keep all of the Meat? I know guy’s that have been on African Safari hunts and they couldn’t keep the Meat, They could only eat it there. Just curious if your Hunt was something like this?

Most of the guys that hunt large animals like the Ameican Bison offset the cost of the animal by selling some of the meat, raw hide, heads and even the bones. I use to have a contacts for anything I wasn't going to use or need, bones you sell by the pound for pretty good $$$ money that some are unaware of the market. In the airport you'll see the gift shops with Native American crafts (bones), use to be Prairie Edge Trading Co & Galleries was a good place to sell your unwanted left overs.

Buffalo (or venison) and broccoli stir fry Busine10
Buck
Buck

http://grrw.ca.tripod.com/

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bushfire 12/02/22, 01:05 pm

Idaholewis wrote:Hey Bushfire, were you able to keep all of the Meat? I know guy’s that have been on African Safari hunts and they couldn’t keep the Meat, They could only eat it there. Just curious if your Hunt was something like this?

We could keep some but not most. You have limits on the amoihnt you can fly with weight wise. The guide kept the rest for himself and done locals.
Bushfire
Bushfire

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13/02/22, 09:25 pm

Bushfire wrote:

We could keep some but not most. You have limits on the amoihnt you can fly with weight wise. The guide kept the rest for himself and done locals.

That is understandable, There is a LOT of meat on Critters that size
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down