WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit

5 posters

Go down

Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit Empty Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit

Post by Admin 29/12/21, 06:12 am

I just purchased a new Caldwell Chronograph and Lighting Kit, I will be using it a LOT this coming Spring & Summer. I will be keeping good Detailed record of Velocities with all of my different Bullets, Rifles, Barrel Lengths Etc. The 2 Powders that i plan to focus mostly on will be my Trusty Swiss 2F, and Hodgdon’s Triple Seven 3F (i am VERY impressed so far with Triple Seven 3F Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947 )
I really like the features of this Caldwell Chronograph, With the Battery powered option for the lighting kit i will be able to use this Chronograph no matter what Lighting situation i am in, This is one of the Downfalls with these Style Chronographs, they are VERY light sensitive.

Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit W6PdMaf

The app for this Chronograph is pretty awesome as well, I have an Apple Ipad Air that I installed the app on to use exclusively with this Chrono, Everything in a convenient Canvas Duffel Bag. I can even put my own Bullets in here, It gives Velocity and Ft Pounds of Energy Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947
Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit HoacNiR
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

sdporter, Tank, EasternOregon .50cal GPR, Shorty and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit Empty Re: Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit

Post by McLoader 29/12/21, 03:54 pm

Lewis,
How are you using the data? I’ve been looking into a Labradar system to establish a ballistic model for the .58 so I can dial in max PBR for hunting distances without making a sight adjustment. I also have a theory about muzzle velocity vs wind adjustment for subsonic vs supersonic that I would like to test was just curious if you are doing the same?

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit Empty Re: Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit

Post by Admin 29/12/21, 09:10 pm

McLoader wrote:Lewis,
How are you using the data? I’ve been looking into a Labradar system to establish a ballistic model for the .58 so I can dial in max PBR for hunting distances without making a sight adjustment. I also have a theory about muzzle velocity vs wind adjustment for subsonic vs supersonic that I would like to test was just curious if you are doing the same?

I am not using the Data in form of Ballistic Drop Charts Etc. I am simply doing this because i like to know what the Bullet or Ball is actually doing Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Maxjon and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxjon 05/01/22, 03:02 am

I bought the same chrono, not used it yet, but I think it will be a good thing.

Maxjon

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/01/22, 05:18 am

Maxjon wrote:I bought the same chrono, not used it yet, but I think it will be a good thing.

I am hoping to shoot over mine in the next day or 2, I will post results when i do Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947 I have been experimenting with Triple Seven 3F and really like what i am Seeing, I just bought a Can of Pyrodex P for Testing, That will be my First Chronograph test, The Velocity difference between Pyrodex P and Triple Seven 3F
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Maxjon and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13/01/22, 04:56 pm

I got out today and shot over my new Chronograph, It was to cold to deal with my Ipad hooked up to it so I just shot over it and Logged the readings on a Notepad. It was Cloudy, and Really Dense Fog, But This chronograph wasn’t Phased by it, I had ZERO glitches Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947

I decided to check the Difference in Pyrodex P vs Triple Seven 3F, I used the Same Bullet, Same over powder wads, Etc. Everything Identical. Triple Seven 3F and Pyrodex P both Came in identical at Volume to Weight, 80 Volume equalled 70 Weight with Both Powders. I have always weighed my powder Charges on a Grain Scale for Accuracy, i have never been a Fan of Field Powder measures, I want my Powder Charges identical  Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947

For this test i used one of my Stock 1:48 Twist .45 Caliber Thompson Center Hawken Rifles, The Bullets i chose were from one of my Custom Accurate Molds (#45-412L) they weigh 412 Grains Cast of PURE Lead
Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit U9ye6WPm

70 Grains by WEIGHT of Pyrodex P
Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit EsXL4WD

70 Grains by WEIGHT of Triple Seven 3F
Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit XtWsObT
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

TD BRIGHT, Shorty and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 13/01/22, 05:06 pm

Triple Seven 3F is SERIOUS Powder, I am THOROUGHLY impressed with it so far Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947 It takes much less of it to get the Velocities i am looking for with my Soft Lead Bullets. I like to stay under 1,450 Fps, Between 1,350 and 1,450 Fps is ideal
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Maxjon, Shorty and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 01/02/22, 05:44 pm

I borrowed dad's when he was out last week and I couldn't get it to work. Same one as you are using. Arrows register well through it, but it kept reading my Scout pistol in 3600fps range so I gave up that and the percussion would blow the white plastic covers off. Not sure what I was doing wrong.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLoader 01/02/22, 06:24 pm

The way that chrono works is by measuring the timed interruptions of light from 2 sensors across a known distance. Typical issues with this type include poor lighting, or an ambiguous projectile. If you have the muzzle close to the chronograph, it may produce a false reading on muzzle gas and unburnt powder(this is my guess). Try a brighter day, and move the chronograph further away? Temperature can also effect electronics so if it was cold when you ran your shots, or if the chronograph was stored in a cold place, that could give you some bad results particularly if you are running on battery power. Give the chronograph a warm up before use, plug into 120v source vs running on battery if you think temperature could have been an issue I’d say if you are above 40F you should not be effected by temp.

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/02/22, 06:27 pm

Big Sky Bryan wrote:I borrowed dad's when he was out last week and I couldn't get it to work.  Same one as you are using.  Arrows register well through it, but it kept reading my Scout pistol in 3600fps range so I gave up that and the percussion would blow the white plastic covers off.  Not sure what I was doing wrong.

How was the lighting when you used it?

I have only used mine 2 times, both times it worked Flawless for me. It is to cold here right now for this Stuff, I am chomping at the Bit for Spring/Summer Weather Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 01/02/22, 06:58 pm

I don't remember the light.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/02/22, 07:24 pm

Big Sky Bryan wrote:I don't remember the light.

Lighting is EXTREMELY important with these Type of Chronographs, They are very light sensitive, This is why i bought the Lighting Kit. I shoot a lot at Daylight, these Chronographs don’t play well in First & last light UNLESS you have the Lighting kit.

A tip for good lighting, on a Sunny day. Try and get your Back to the Sun, take a Stick or something similar and hold it over the Eyes of the Chronograph, Keep turning until you see the Stick’s Shadow Directly over the Top of the Chronograph eyes, This is an OPTIMAL Setting Caldwell Chronograph and LED Light Kit 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Shorty and Big Sky Bryan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 10:24 am

I have had this same chrono for a couple years now at first it worked great but soon the app failed so I had to manually record every shot. I haven't checked lately but there didn't seem to be any support for app related issues. So its a turd in my book and strictly a backup chrono.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 04/05/22, 12:12 pm

I really like the idea of a battery power source because im always in the mountains when I shoot as I'm sure you are too Lewis. I had a ir light kit setup in my PACT xp1 but I will need to use an inverter from my truck to use it and to this day (6 years) I still haven't used it yet but it is a nice option.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum