WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option.

2 posters

Go down

North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option. Empty North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option.

Post by 188mule 07/01/22, 01:05 pm

As of spring 2021 North Dakota Game & Fish has changed the regulations for the spring turkey season.

They removed the muzzle loading rifle option for hunting turkeys during the SPRING season. The use of a muzzle loading shot gun is legal.

I've called 4 times to voice my opinion on the issue.
It sounds like there are people calling in, upset over the changes.

The use of powerful inline muzzle loader rifles with scopes was cited as the reason for the change.

I assumed that was the reason.

I told the officials I spoke with, I personally would like to see the traditional muzzle loading rifle option be available to hunters.

I referred the individuals I spoke with to the Idaho black powder regulations as a good example.

If you live in NoDak or might want to hunt spring turkeys with a traditional muzzle loading rifle.

Maybe call 701 328 6300

Ask them to consider adding the traditional muzzle loader option for the spring turkey season.

188mule

George_Kelley likes this post

Back to top Go down

North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option. Empty Re: North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option.

Post by Guest 08/01/22, 08:55 am

I don't see a problem with using a muzzleloading shotgun. That's always the way we've hunted turkey, even with modern shotguns. Are you saying that they allow CF rifles for turkey season? Or are they just allowing shotguns, whether they are modern CF or black powder muzzleloader shotguns. I'm not seeing the problem here.

Back to top Go down

North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option. Empty Re: North Dakota nixes muzzle loading rifle option.

Post by 188mule 08/01/22, 11:02 am

Centerfire rifles, rimfire rifles are not legal.

However, handguns of .35 caliber or larger having a 4" barrel or longer are legal.

Muzzle loading rifles were legal to use up until 2021.
Their reason for making muzzle loading rifles illegal is that they are to powerfull.

My issue with this decision is that I could shoot turkeys with a .500 s&w magnum with a scope or a .350 legend or hell why not a .35 whelen from a 14" encore with a scope.
So, the "to powerful" argument doesn't hold water.
In my opinion.
I've asked them to consider allowing traditional muzzle loading rifles. Which have been legal since the turkey season was established. Until 2021

Last edited by 188mule on 08/01/22, 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 08/01/22, 11:11 am

I was told by the wildlife officials I spoke with that inlines with magnified scopes specifically the new CVA paramount style of rifles were the reason for the change.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 08/01/22, 01:42 pm

I understand your frustration with the too powerful weapons not holding water.
My point is if they are going to remove muzzleloader rifles for turkey, then it should be only shotgun, which to me is a more humane way to get a positive kill and not wasting meat by getting hit with a .50 cal muzzleloader, or modern high power pistol. I've never been, or seen hunters, use a rifle for duck hunting, goose hunting, grouse, quail, etc. Shotguns are basically the way to go for foul. I believe you are correct though, that they should eliminate high power CF pistols for hunting turkey...that is crazy.

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 08/01/22, 02:07 pm

I am saying that hunting with a traditional muzzle loading rifle should be an option for the spring season.
I am not saying the pistol option should be eliminated.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 08/01/22, 10:54 pm

188mule wrote:I was told by the wildlife officials I spoke with that inlines with magnified scopes specifically the new CVA paramount style of rifles were the reason for the change.

You got to lobby for traditional muzzle loading firearms.

Join a buckskinner group in your state to find like minded people and ask them to mail real letters, the kind that come in stamped envelopes as those get noticed. Some people may not have good penmanship, it would be better for them to call or send emails.

Also lobby the legislature. They can make a law that the deep state bureaucrats must obey.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 08/01/22, 10:56 pm

mustang65 wrote:I understand your frustration with the too powerful weapons not holding water.
My point is if they are going to remove muzzleloader rifles for turkey, then it should be only shotgun, which to me is a more humane way to get a positive kill and not wasting meat by getting hit with a .50 cal muzzleloader, or modern  high power pistol. I've never been, or seen hunters, use a rifle for duck hunting, goose hunting, grouse, quail, etc. Shotguns are basically the way to go for foul. I believe you are correct though, that they should eliminate high power CF pistols for hunting turkey...that is crazy.

I am used to seeing people hunt with small caliber muzzle loading rifles for turkey. Usually a .36 caliber patched ball, nothing so large as a .50 caliber rifle.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 08/01/22, 11:01 pm

I checked online and found two buckskinner rendezvous for North Dakota. Check it out, you will find like minded people, allies, at these events.

https://www.crazycrow.com/site/tag/north-dakota-mountain-man-rendezvous/
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 08/01/22, 11:39 pm

George_Kelley wrote:I checked online and found two buckskinner rendezvous for North Dakota. Check it out, you will find like minded people, allies, at these events.

https://www.crazycrow.com/site/tag/north-dakota-mountain-man-rendezvous/

Thanks! Will check them out.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 10/01/22, 08:53 am

I admire your faith in politicians.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum