WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles?

5 posters

Go down

Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? Empty Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles?

Post by George_Kelley 16/01/22, 02:09 pm

The flintlock ignition system was an option for the T/C Arms Company's Hawken rifles and Renegade rifles. Will there be any future videos with those?

Question bounce Question

It sure would make for some dramatic videos, especially with a slow-motion replay of the ignition and discharge of the rifle with a wide angle lense.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? Empty Re: Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles?

Post by Kurt 18/01/22, 10:39 pm

I'm thinking, that in states where flintlocks were required for hunting, flintlocks will be found. Such as my State Pa. I bought a TC percussion Hawken when they came out but when PA created the late season it was flintlock only so I had to buy another.
As an admirer of Idaho's long-range shooting, I would like to see how the delay of the flintlock affected things. The pan flash is not really noticeable, but the sound of the flint striking the frizzen is a bit distracting.

I'll bet I.L. doesn't have a flintlock?

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? Empty Re: Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles?

Post by Admin 20/01/22, 07:58 am

GK,  I have never owned a Flintlock, I just can’t get interested in them
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 20/01/22, 08:01 pm

Kurt wrote:I'm thinking, that in states where flintlocks were required for hunting, flintlocks will be found. Such as my State Pa. I bought a TC percussion Hawken when they came out but when PA created the late season it was flintlock only so I had to buy another.
As an admirer of Idaho's long-range shooting, I would like to see how the delay of the flintlock affected things. The pan flash is not really noticeable, but the sound of the flint striking the frizzen is a bit distracting.

I'll bet I.L. doesn't have a flintlock?

A well tuned flintlock will have very fast ignition. A caveat is that you can't afford cheap.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 20/01/22, 08:07 pm

Idaholewis wrote:GK,  I have never owned a Flintlock, I just can’t get interested in them

It would make a good video. That most flintlock rifle owners are only using patched ball, they are not shooting past 200yds. People will lose their minds if you do long range shots with one, that in itself would be fun. cheers

From a prepper POV, agates that you can find in a creek bed will throw a spark. A back up plan if primers are not available commercially due to gun control and panic buying.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 21/01/22, 12:06 am

George, I have an old book around here somewhere that has an article from back in the day, written by a gun scribe who decries the new-fangled caplock guns. He claims the flintlock to be more reliable and that it shoots harder. I don't know if caps were unreliable when first marketed or what but I'm pretty sure his claims that flintlocks "shoot harder" was opinion. I'll try and dig it out and refresh my memories of it. I do know that flintlocks held on almost up to cartridge guns because flint, agate, and chert could be found where caps had to be purchased.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 21/01/22, 09:34 am

Kurt wrote:George, I have an old book around here somewhere that has an article from back in the day, written by a gun scribe who decries the new-fangled caplock guns. He claims the flintlock to be more reliable and that it shoots harder. I don't know if caps were unreliable when first marketed or what but I'm pretty sure his claims that flintlocks "shoot harder" was opinion. I'll try and dig it out and refresh my memories of it. I do know that flintlocks held on almost up to cartridge guns because flint, agate, and chert could be found where caps had to be purchased.

I know that L&R makes high quality locks made to fit T/C Hawken and Renegade rifles. Word from the flintlock shooters I know is that a proper flintlock must be hand fitted to get fast, reliable ignition which can not be done in a factory.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/724/1/LOCK-LR-03-F
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21/01/22, 10:12 pm

George_Kelley wrote:
Idaholewis wrote:GK,  I have never owned a Flintlock, I just can’t get interested in them

It would make a good video. That most flintlock rifle owners are only using patched ball, they are not shooting past 200yds. People will lose their minds if you do long range shots with one, that in itself would be fun.  cheers

From a prepper POV, agates that you can find in a creek bed will throw a spark. A back up plan if primers are not available commercially due to gun control and panic buying.

There is no doubt i would enjoy it, Maybe someday i’ll get Bit by the Flintlock Bug? Very Happy
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 21/01/22, 10:29 pm

Idaholewis wrote:
George_Kelley wrote:

It would make a good video. That most flintlock rifle owners are only using patched ball, they are not shooting past 200yds. People will lose their minds if you do long range shots with one, that in itself would be fun.  cheers

There is no doubt i would enjoy it, Maybe someday i’ll get Bit by the Flintlock Bug? Very Happy

Sooner or later a T/C Hawken or Renegade with flintlock ignition will turn up for sale with a bargain price. It will take some time to master the flintlock ignition system, but it will be worth it when people blow their minds over seeing long range shots.

You might consider entering some matches, getting a sponsorship from a manufacturer.T/C Arms Company should put you on their payroll as a professional marksman as they could sell alot of their Hawken and Renegade rifles if they did.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

EdMehlig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 22/01/22, 10:34 pm

heck Lewis, i have a couple Flinters i'd loan ya! I have a TC Hawken .54 that if i could find a long range i'd stretch it's legs. i really would like to see its loooooooooong range capabilities.
for close (100 yards) work it is equal to my percussion Hawkens.

TC of course no longer produces the Hawken or any sidelock I am aware of. they have not made any sidelock arms for quite awhile.
there are still some good deals on the secondary market though.

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 23/01/22, 05:10 am

If the T/C Arms Company executives were to see some of the long range videos, they may just put the Hawken and Renegade rifles back into production.

George_Kelley
George_Kelley

EdMehlig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 23/01/22, 09:24 am

it will be interesting to see who buys TC from S&W. to date i haven't heard whom that might be.
i think in the current market they could sell enough Hawkens and Renegades to justify the endeavor, especially if they upped the lock quality. and especially the flint lock. the geometry of their flint lock was/is dismal. it took some serious tweeking to get my Hawken to even consistently spark
if they put a chambers lock on they would be gold.
the Hawken and Renegade triggers really shine for me.

deerstalkert

EdMehlig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 24/01/22, 10:37 pm

deerstalkert wrote:it will be interesting to see who buys TC from S&W. to date i haven't heard whom that might be.
i think in the current market they could sell enough Hawkens and Renegades to justify the endeavor, especially if they upped the lock quality. and especially the flint lock. the geometry of their flint lock was/is dismal. it took some serious tweeking to get my Hawken to even consistently spark
if they put a chambers lock on they would be gold.  
the Hawken and Renegade triggers really shine for me.

L&R already makes a flintlock for the T/C Hawkens and Renegades.

I hope that whoever buys T/C Arms Company will bring these rifles back with high quality control. I would also like to see them bring back the Contender pistol with interchangeable barrels too.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

EdMehlig and John Willoughby like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bushfire 25/01/22, 01:27 pm

Can't go wrong with a Pedersoli Lew, on the MLF and ALR forums all the custom gun toffs like to run them down but I let the showers of sparks speak for themselves. Don't think those guys like to admit they could have a gun that performs as well for 1/2 or less the cost! 

Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? Screen12
Bushfire
Bushfire

deerstalkert and George_Kelley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 25/01/22, 05:05 pm

i have a Pedersoli Mortimer in .54 cal. and it is Gold! i have never had even a hang fire with it let alone a klatch. never a flash in the pan. Only thing is it sparks so much more than my TC Hawken it makes me flinch! (that's my story and i am sticking to it) ! Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? 1f601
i do have a L&R lock on a southern mountain .32 that i had to tune some .
I really like Flinters and get great satisfaction building them and knapping my own flints, then burning my own brew of powder.
Lewis you need at least one in your stable. or not . to each unto their likIdaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? 20220111
es!
my .32 i just finished

deerstalkert

Bushfire and Kurt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 30/01/22, 10:25 pm

deerstalkert, is that an aperture sight on the tang of your rifle? If it is could I have a closer look? Great looking picture!

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 30/01/22, 11:18 pm

Kurt, that is just a temporary sight i made from a piece of broken brass trigger guard!
i flattened the scrap shaped it, drilled for tang screw, a set screw in the waist for elevation adjustment and a hole for a peep.
peep hole was too big so i tapped it and screwed in a set screw for a bushing. drilled a tiny hole for an aperture in the center, kinda in the center,
i crude but i can shoot 2 inch groups off hand with it at 30 yards so i am in no hurry to cut a dove tail and replace it!
Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? 20220112
Idaho Lewis, Will there be future videos with T/C Hawken flintlock rifles? 20220113

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 31/01/22, 02:12 am

I like the idea! I may try and do something like it. Thanks for the description and pictures. Very much!

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum