WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some say it's Rust

5 posters

Go down

Some say it's Rust Empty Some say it's Rust

Post by Big Sky Bryan 06/02/22, 01:09 pm

I keep excellent care of my guns. I see this often in some of my different ml rifles. Today after shooting about a dozen times and cleaning at about every 3rd or so time. I'm shooting patched ball out of my 62 smoothbore and it's gun with low hours and the barrel after being bored out maybe has 60 shots through it since a year ago. I come home go through the usual routine with hot soapy water and run a clean patch up and down until it's clean and it never takes long to get clean with white patch. I then air it dry with 100psi through the bore, nipple exterior etc. Now I go to run a very oiled patch down it to put away tell next time I shoot. It doesn't matter if it's Bore Butter, Rem Oil or anything the patch almost always comes out like this. Regardless if it's smooth or rifled. People say it's rust of you didn't get it clean. It's for sure clean! If it's is rust I've never seen anything rust as fast as a bore....I'm talking from time I end cleaning with a clean white patch, to then drying immediately and the running an oiled patch we are talking 3 minutes maybe. I was going to upload a photo, but can't figure out on this site. It's a light rust color on the patch.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Some say it's Rust Empty Re: Some say it's Rust

Post by deerstalkert 06/02/22, 10:29 pm

you too? i thought i was doing something different after all these years.
don't have an answer and will be watching. i would blame it on an additive in the powder but i brew my own! Some say it's Rust 1986740415

deerstalkert

Big Sky Bryan likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 07/02/22, 08:40 am

I deal with this exact same thing, it happens with all of my Blued Barrels. I am confident that it is “Flash Rust” I use to let this bother me but i finally QUIT, There is absolutely Nothing i can do about it.

My Cleaning procedure is the same as you describe. When i KNOW that i have my Barrel thoroughly clean, I Lift it from the Bucket of Water and Wipe the exterior Dry, I then run a couple of Drying patches down the Bore, these couple of Patches will almost Guaranteed come out with a Light Tinge of Brown color (Again, i believe this to be “Flash Rust” which happens IMMEDIATELY) After the few Drying Patches, i use my Air Compressor nozzle and BLAST air through and Over everything to Dry (Sights, Under Rib, Thimbles, and through the Nipple Hole) I now run a Few Patches down the Bore. And Lastly, I oil the Bore liberally with a Good Quality Gun Oil, These Oily patches come out Nice & Clean, this is why i say “Flash Rust”, if it was a Deeper Rust Problem these Oily Patches would come out Brown, but they DON’T Some say it's Rust 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

deerstalkert, MR-FLOPPY-SOCKS and Big Sky Bryan like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 07/02/22, 08:44 am

The exception to the above is my Stainless Barrels, They are an ABSOLUTE Pleasure to Clean, and will Spoil ya. They NEVER Show that Tinge of Brown (Flash Rust) Instead, the Patches come out Cotton White. These Stainless Barrels are EXTREMELY Durable and what i prefer to Hunt with.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 07/02/22, 09:08 am

I have never seen a stainless ml barrel on a trad style gun, but it crossed my mind on a future build.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 07/02/22, 05:37 pm

Big Sky Bryan wrote:I have never seen a stainless ml barrel on a trad style gun, but it crossed my mind on a future build.

They are REALLY Nice, and will Spoil ya when it comes to Cleaning. Green Mountain made them for several years, the Stainless Barrels are getting harder & harder to come by these Days, They pop up now & then but not very often, and they can bring a premium

I got lucky and bought a .45 Cal (1:30 Twist) & a .50 Cal (1:28 Twist) They say LRH after the Caliber, LRH stands for Long Range Hunter, They are Fast Twist Bullet Barrels.

Here are mine, i love em! Some say it's Rust 3355125947

Some say it's Rust WQvgTp0

Some say it's Rust 71RQQJL

Some say it's Rust T0HTJpi

Some say it's Rust RW37WEE
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

EdMehlig and PaleRider like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 07/02/22, 05:40 pm

My Stainless Rifle above (The Stock anyway) is a TC Hawken “Silver Elite”

TC Also made a Hawken “Cougar” Rifle, The Cougar has a Medallion in the Buttstock
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 07/02/22, 05:53 pm

Wow! Beautiful barrels! I like those for sure. I bet your ATV has curb feelers on it huh!
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 07/02/22, 09:12 pm

Some say it's Rust Stainl10
this one always makes me think of "My cold dead hands" will be the last one to go. it is a .54
shoots like a dream and takes no time to clean. i have two Investarms with stainless barrels also. love them.

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 14/02/22, 08:49 pm

It makes sense to go with stainless steel if barrels and hardware are going to be in the white.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 25/02/22, 05:40 pm

Yes if you clean with hot water you will get flash rust in the bore of a chrome moly barrel. But its easily removed with a couple oiled patches. Nothing to worry about.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum