WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idaho Lewis Question

5 posters

Go down

Idaho Lewis Question Empty Idaho Lewis Question

Post by Big Sky Bryan 12/02/22, 08:45 pm

What length barrel is that 50 cal you were shooting at 1200 yards? Was powder charge still 100gn?
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

Back to top Go down

Idaho Lewis Question Empty Re: Idaho Lewis Question

Post by Admin 13/02/22, 07:22 am

Big Sky Bryan wrote:What length barrel is that 50 cal you were shooting at 1200 yards?  Was powder charge still 100gn?

It is 32” inches Long, and my powder charge was 100 Grains of Swiss 2F Idaho Lewis Question 3355125947

Something to keep in mind, If a guy is looking to have a new Barrel made, You really need to think about what you will be doing with it mostly? For Target/Bench Shooting i absolutely love a 32” Inch Barrel, even a 34” would be Great, But for Hunting (Walking) this is to Long for my Style of Hunting (Walking, Timber, Etc), For my hunting i MUCH prefer a 28” inch Barrel. Yes i can hunt with my 32” inch Barrels, But at that long they are cumbersome to Walk around with, especially in this Brushy country. In other words, My 32 inch Barrels would be my Last choice to Hunt with, and My 1st Choice to Target/Bench Shoot. To Each their own here, Just thought i’d give my .02 Cents
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Big Sky Bryan, PaleRider, Grant Northcott, wpd10@comcast.net and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by harry.combs 12/10/22, 07:04 pm

Idaho Lewis, I have a question that has been bugging me since I started watching your YouTube channel. You are one fine shot with open sights and commend you for the videos you share with us. I have one question about your targets. Fred Bear taught me to shoot a long bow many years ago. The first thing he did was teaching technique of repetitive actions using proper anchor, and sighting. First day of class he had us shoot at a deer size target and the target had a 6" red bullseye on it. As he watched us shoot and hitting the big red circle randomly for a short while, brought us together and told us we had the wrong idea about aim point. He removed the target and replaced it with a same size target only it had a dime size black circle on it. He had us all take 5 arrows and do a reshoot. After we started shooting at a dime rather than a 6" circle everyone started grouping much better. To this day I shoot at 1" circles out to 100 yards with open buckhorn sights while others shoot at 3 to 6 inch circles. They are amazed a old man can shoot better than any of them until I show them the old Fred Bear secret, I learned in the early 70s. Why are you shooting at those 6" circles at under 400 yards? Thanks so much for your hard work!!

harry.combs

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 17/10/22, 06:34 am

I can’t speak for Idaho Lewis, but I can share what I do.
When I am shooting targets with a peep sight and the globe front sight with the sight inserts I like to find a sight and target that match each other.
So if I am shooting 100 yards for example and I have the fine bead insert in the front globe I like a target size that shows up just alittle bigger than the bead so the bead doesn’t cover the target. Your eye naturally wants to center that front bead in the target “center a smaller circle in a bigger circle”. Since the target I choose is slightly bigger than the bead, the bead has perfect even ring around it when I pull the trigger
You can do this with a small target and small bead or larger target with larger bead as long as the target is slightly bigger than the bead so when the bead is centered you have nice ring around it that is easy for your eye to center

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

harry.combs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by harry.combs 17/10/22, 07:55 am

EasternOregon .50cal GPR I can relate to that. The only gun I shoot with globe front sights is my Quigley 45-70. I use this method with it and shoot very tight groups. Don't know why I didn't put that together when watching his videos, but you cleared it all up for me. I do more hunting in low light conditions and my peeps are no asset, so I shoot very little with them. Thanks for the response!

harry.combs

EasternOregon .50cal GPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Sky Bryan 17/10/22, 09:25 am

Question for Eastern Oregon, since he brought it up. How do you go about determening what target size matches your sight best? This has been something I've messed with especially on my handguns with open sights at 100 yds and beyond.
Big Sky Bryan
Big Sky Bryan

harry.combs and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 19/10/22, 10:07 pm

Big Sky Bryan i have found that a lot of it has to do with lighting condition
If it is cloudy or sunny or with snow on the ground
I pick the size that I can easy see at a given distance, then I go through the different inserts to see what gives me a good sight picture on the target
My favorite shape of target are circles
If i am shooting at something that isn’t a circle then my go to is the fine crosshair
I should add that even if your going to use the gun as a hunting rifle and not target shoot with it. I still put a globe sight in to do the load Development and find the best load once that is worked out then take the globe sight off and put the sight that you are going to hunt with on and sight in with your developed load.

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Back to top Go down

Post by exarcherman 20/10/22, 08:14 pm

Harry Combs... I Met Fred Bear in Gainesville at the Southeastern NFAA field championships In early 80's & had him sign a copy of his "Field Notes" book,, A real treasure!! Your name sounds familiar,,, where in Tn;?).. (Kirk) Sorry for being a little off topic here..

exarcherman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum