WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Casting Video (How i do it)

+5
EdMehlig
jcnull2305
George_Kelley
earlyg
Admin
9 posters

Go down

My Casting Video (How i do it) Empty My Casting Video (How i do it)

Post by Admin 28/11/21, 08:12 am

Here is a Link to my Casting Video My Casting Video (How i do it) 3355125947

https://rumble.com/embed/vnwlcg/?pub=4

Last edited by Idaholewis on 10/12/21, 06:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

EdMehlig, earlyg, HC, Big Sky Bryan, ourway77 and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

My Casting Video (How i do it) Empty Re: My Casting Video (How i do it)

Post by earlyg 30/11/21, 03:40 pm

That's what I was looking for, specifics on the details.  Thanks My Casting Video (How i do it) 3355125947

earlyg

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 30/11/21, 09:26 pm

How much undersized are the paper patched bullet designs to accommodate the paper patch for the intended rifle bore size?
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by jcnull2305 09/12/21, 05:15 pm

So, it appears that the (F)UToob gun police took that video down!!!!
jcnull2305
jcnull2305

Back to top Go down

Post by earlyg 10/12/21, 07:33 am

Figures…Utoob morons. The link above is to Rumble.com, the video is still there. I just downloaded it, so I don’t have to worry about it being taken down.

earlyg

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10/12/21, 11:38 am

earlyg wrote:Figures…Utoob morons. The link above is to Rumble.com, the video is still there.  I just downloaded it, so I don’t have to worry about it being taken down.

I created an account with Rumble and uploaded it their last night, YouTube is against my Casting Videos for whatever reason? This is the 2nd Casting Video of mine that they have Removed? I prefer YouTube’s Platform simply because i am accustomed to it, But i am thinking seriously about moving all of my Content to Rumble? But then again this Casting Video is the only one that they have had any issues with, Which makes absolutely no sense to me? I am NOT making ammo, I am casting a Lead Bullet for Crying out loud, They have Other Casting videos on YouTube, What makes mine different?
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

EdMehlig, jcnull2305 and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by earlyg 10/12/21, 12:38 pm

I think they just don’t like the bottom pour method…😂

earlyg

EdMehlig and jcnull2305 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jcnull2305 10/12/21, 04:59 pm

Move all your stuff to Rumble, but use that disclaimer I sent you for YouTube.  It's a liability thing for them, in case some dumbass (like myself) burns a finger off with molten lead after watching your video and think it makes them an expert.

You make it look too easy!
jcnull2305
jcnull2305

Admin and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 10/12/21, 07:12 pm

Can’t hurt Lew send it to them and see what they say and menttthe other videos. Was watching a YouTube video on making 280Rem bullets. Guess that’s not a threat as to casting and making your own bullets??🙄🙄
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 10/12/21, 08:56 pm

jcnull2305 wrote:in case some dumbass (like myself) burns a finger

My Casting Video (How i do it) 1139610133
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

jcnull2305 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by knifemaker3 11/12/21, 10:26 am

Nice video!

knifemaker3

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 31/01/22, 10:56 am

I was watching Lewis' video on casting big bullets from a bottom pour mold. I have never found a problem casting them but I did pick up a couple tips from the video. I usually have a few cast and remelt until my mold heats up so I found the torch trick pretty clever. Here are some of my 500 gr 45 cal bullets.
My Casting Video (How i do it) 500_gr10
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Admin, EdMehlig, ourway77 and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 20/02/22, 08:04 am

George I have my Accurate 390-P mold made to cast a .444" bullet for my 45 cal GM LRH barrel with a bore diameter of .451". This give me a slip fit but snug enough that I don't have to worry about the bullet coming off the charge. The bullet will obturate and engage the rifling.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

George_Kelley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by HC 24/03/22, 06:18 am

I just watched the video, again. Great video Lew, thank you.

HC

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 09:28 am

Lew on your lee pots are you useing 110v or 220v models if you use both does your casting routine change with one vs the other.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 24/04/22, 12:04 pm

I’m almost positive Lew’s models were the 110V.  I use basically the same model except I don’t have the bottom spout.  I use a ladle to cast my conicals.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 02:48 pm

I was hoping 110v was the case though I've got 220 in my garage it would be a hassle to deal with. Now its funny you use a ladle because I ordered a 20# 110v pot but have used a bottom pour for many years or as they say a dripomatic. I'm sure the ladle routine is going to feel odd for awhile but I suppose I will get used to it.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 24/04/22, 03:16 pm

I cast for years with a Coleman camping stove and a cast iron pot and ladle! I do like the bottom pour elec pot. Once I get the correct pour rate adjusted to where I want it its great. Drips a little but when it builds up enough I just pick it up and drop it back into the pot.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 06:10 pm

My 10# production pot was dripping so bad when I fired it up last week after 22 years of non use that I welded the spout shut and bought a rcbs ladle however its a small pot for a ladle thats why I ordered the 20#. I may still pickup a 20# bottom pour I see midway has them for $90. w/free shipping. We'll see.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 24/04/22, 07:46 pm

I did the exact same thing with my original 20# bottom pour pot. After it started to fall apart I bought the 20# pot without the bottom pour spout and haven’t looked back. But whichever one you buy I’m sure you will be happy with it. You could always buy another bottom pour spout pot and it you don’t like it you can plug the hole and remove the lever to release the lead.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 10:24 pm

When I started casting around 98' it was just for casual low volume elk hunting conicals I figured if I got 6" at a 100 yds that was good enough for black powder. The inline I had then was a traditions 50cal buckhunter I still have along with the matching pistol. Last month I picked up a CVA Optima that shoots NE conicals pretty darn good but I'm too cheap to spend 75 bucks for a 100 bullets so here I am casting again. The big difference now is I stumbled onto a forum with a greatly bunch of guys like yourself that are willing to show how casting high quality conicals is really done.

Dasblanc

Rustycorvair likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/04/22, 11:07 pm

When I started casting around 98' it was just for casual low volume elk hunting conicals I figured if I got 6" at a 100 yds that was good enough for black powder. The inline I had then was a traditions 50cal buckhunter I still have along with the matching pistol. Last month I picked up a CVA Optima that shoots NE conicals pretty darn good but I'm too cheap to spend 75 bucks for a 100 bullets so here I am casting again. The big difference now is I stumbled onto a forum with a greatly bunch of guys like yourself that are willing to show how casting high quality conicals is really done.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 27/04/22, 11:55 pm

Sorry I managed to double post above reply

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 28/04/22, 08:08 am

Dasblanc wrote:When I started casting around 98' it was just for casual low volume elk hunting conicals I figured if I got 6" at a 100 yds that was good enough for black powder. .

Not to sound nasty Dasblanc but 6" at 100 yards is not nearly good enough. Especially for most of us.  Heck if I personally get that with open sights I'm looking to see what's going on.  With my inlines I'm looking for under 1.5".  And to be honest, most of today's inline muzzleloaders can do that with the load combination it likes.  Some on here have shot 1/2" or less @ 100 yards with their muzzleloaders.
The most important thing is consistency.  Weigh each bullet and keep the weights within 1/2 - 1 gr.  Make sure the bullet's base is flat with sharp corners. Same with your powder charge.  Weigh each charge.  What I'll do is pour a charge by volume - say 80 gr. and weigh it on my scale.  If I get a weight of 75.5 or similar, I round it up or down to the next whole grain (75 or76 gr).  Now with a base line of 75 grains by weight I'll load some weighted charges with 70, 75, 80, and 85, maybe 6 each charge and head to the range and see what shoots the best. (remember some rifles shoot best with a slightly fouled barrel. So Have an extra load to shoot off to foul the barrel then shoot your 3 shot groups. I like to swab my bore between shots with 1 wet and 1 dry patch - I swab with a 50/50 solution of windex and alcohol.
Loading technique is also important.  Many don't realize how important consistent load compression is for accuracy.  And don't bang on the bullet with the ramrod to make sure its all the way down. That damages the bullet's nose which affects accuracy.  
Once you find a load your rifle likes, put a reference mark on your ramrod. One more thing. Don't throw your bullets into a box and travel around with them.  After I inspect my bullets for weight and flaws I put them into one of those pistol ammo 50 round boxes to protect them from damage.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum