WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raised garden

+3
Admin
HC
idahoron
7 posters

Go down

Raised garden  Empty Raised garden

Post by idahoron 15/03/22, 09:44 am

Has anyone done a raised bed for just salad greens? I'm thinking about going this route but not sure if the raised garden is appropriate for this.

idahoron

Back to top Go down

Raised garden  Empty Re: Raised garden

Post by HC 15/03/22, 06:44 pm

They would be a lot easier to harvest that’s for sure.

HC

Admin and idahoron like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 16/03/22, 04:54 am

Raised beds are nice! Jax keeps asking me to build some, and now with my Chainsaw mill i can do so without it costing a Fortune
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

idahoron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by knifemaker3 16/03/22, 08:26 am

I've raised black seeded simpson lettuce in cattle lick tubs in the shade during the summer to extend the season. It worked great.

knifemaker3

idahoron likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by idahoron 16/03/22, 09:18 am

knifemaker3 wrote:I've raised black seeded simpson lettuce in cattle lick tubs in the shade during the summer to extend the season.  It worked great.

I was thinking about something like that

idahoron

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnum 16/03/22, 06:51 pm

I never grew in a raised bed but thought it would be nice. I always thought the soil would require more frequent watering but that’s an assumption.
I’m thinking of growing some taters in the fabric sacs they ball trees and shrubs in at the nurseries. They come in many sizes and are inexpensive.

Magnum

Back to top Go down

Post by 30338 18/03/22, 09:21 pm

Built these out of an old grain bin I disassembled. They have worked well for a few years now. The fence keeps the deer out nicely.
Raised garden  S1nNH1
Raised garden  44zKJP

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JCamp 22/03/22, 10:33 am

What do you consider “raised”. I do it in some shorter raised beds but they are maybe 10 inches. The taller you go it’ll still work but require more watering.

JCamp

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 30338 22/03/22, 11:36 am

My soil at home sucks so I have about 16" of fertile stuff in those beds I have. Our humidity tends to be very low and average rainfall is around 15" these days. So I tend to water a bit but not sure it is a fair comparison.

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 30338 24/03/22, 02:59 pm

Should note that before I filled those gardens all the way up, I had placed 8 straw bales into them. Using nitrogen starting in early April, I watered them heavy every few days. The combination of nitrogen and water helped to get them rotting. The internal temp went way up and I successfully planted tomatoes, green peppers, and cucumbers directly into the bales. May actually add bales around the perimeter of each garden this year for more space.

Do an internet search and you'll see its wildly popular.

Back to top Go down

Post by JCamp 10/04/22, 07:35 am

Over the last week or so me and my dad have each hauled 10ish truck bed loads of horse manure to add to our gardens. I’d highly recommend that in poor soil. It sure made my Ohio clay look a lot better. Guessing my garden will do better and not need the lime and fertilizer that I usually have to add as well. Also you can compost leaves, saw dust and grass clippings for a while and add them and that’ll help the soil regain some organic content and retain water.

JCamp

Admin and Magnum like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum