WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine

4 posters

Go down

I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine Empty I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine

Post by George_Kelley 02/10/22, 06:16 am

I needed an inexpensive percussion rifle for loaning out to people I take to the range for instruction on muzzleloading firearms. I found this old Connecticut Valley Arms Frontier Carbine for low cost at a pawnshop. It was dirty on the outside with some dings, scratches, and light surface rust, but an inspection with a bore light showed that the bore is clean and the lock is functioning like it should. Price tag showed $149.95, it came to $165.39 after tax, a bargain in these times of hyperinflation and shortages. I cleaned it up that night when I got it home, then shot it the next morning. The performance surprised me as I came in 5th place out of 11 guys at a casual ML rifle match at distances of 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

.50 caliber, percussion lock, I was using .490 ball with pre-lubed patches over 75 gr volume of FFG Shuetzen blackpowder. When that ran out I used the cheap stuff, FFG equivalent American Pioneer Powder which I don't like using because it does not flow well through a spout. The carbine didn't care, it performed flawlessly.

I am thinking of refinishing the barrel. Likely going to use Birchwood Casey's plum brown for a winter project.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

CapnSchep, squattingdog and Dylan84 like this post

Back to top Go down

I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine Empty Re: I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine

Post by George_Kelley 02/10/22, 06:18 am

I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine 31029310
I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine 31032710
I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine 31037210
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

squattingdog and Dylan84 like this post

Back to top Go down

I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine Empty Re: I found a bargain while pawnshopping - CVA Frontier Carbine

Post by squattingdog 02/10/22, 08:16 am

George_Kelley wrote:I needed an inexpensive percussion rifle for loaning out to people I take to the range for instruction on muzzleloading firearms. I found this old Connecticut Valley Arms Frontier Carbine for low cost at a pawnshop. It was dirty on the outside with some dings, scratches, and light surface rust, but an inspection with a bore light showed that the bore is clean and the lock is functioning like it should. Price tag showed $149.95, it came to $165.39 after tax, a bargain in these times of hyperinflation and shortages. I cleaned it up that night when I got it home, then shot it the next morning. The performance surprised me as I came in 5th place out of 11 guys at a casual ML rifle match at distances of 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards.

.50 caliber, percussion lock, I was using .490 ball with pre-lubed patches over 75 gr volume of FFG Shuetzen blackpowder. When that ran out I used the cheap stuff, FFG equivalent American Pioneer Powder which I don't like using because it does not flow well through a spout. The carbine didn't care, it performed flawlessly.

I am thinking of refinishing the barrel. Likely going to use Birchwood Casey's plum brown for a winter project.

Looks like you found not only a good bargain, but a very, very good shooting ML.
5th place isn't only due to the gun, but the operator of it. Congratulations on 5th place. Excellent with a new gun that you never shot before!!
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

George_Kelley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 12/10/22, 08:13 am

Well I just moved to Idaho, and had to reduce my baggage. So I gave the carbine to a young friend to get him started in muzzleloading. He likes to hunt and knows that this weapon will give him a longer season with less pressure. He is also interested in the novelty of a traditional gun, so this was a good gift idea as the accuracy of this particular carbine will keep his interest in muzzleloading.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 12/10/22, 08:19 am

George_Kelley wrote:Well I just moved to Idaho, and had to reduce my baggage. So I gave the carbine to a young friend to get him started in muzzleloading. He likes to hunt and knows that this weapon will give him a longer season with less pressure. He is also interested in the novelty of a traditional gun, so this was a good gift idea as the accuracy of this particular carbine will keep his interest in muzzleloading.

Very nice gift and speaks well of you George. That friend will remember you.
Also, congrats on moving to Idaho and getting out of Washington.
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

George_Kelley, CapnSchep and UFFDA like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CapnSchep 12/10/22, 05:06 pm

Nice find ..! I need to check the pawn shops more often around here, lots of pawn shops in Florida .. I’m going to a gun show the end of October to see if I can find any deals on ML’s ..

CapnSchep

George_Kelley and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by UFFDA 12/10/22, 05:08 pm

Great buy George, never know what you get for a bargain. Course your friend who received it will certainly remember who sent him down the ml rabbit hole!

UFFDA

George_Kelley, CapnSchep and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down