WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for answers about a gun

4 posters

Go down

Looking for answers about a gun Empty Looking for answers about a gun

Post by thesethawa 18/10/22, 09:05 pm

Does anyone here have one of those stupid .54 cal Traditions blunderbuss shotguns? Can you load like 0 or 00 buck in a bore that small? I'd like to know the limits of what I can actually shove down there. I guess if you aren't limited to a shot shell, you could just throw any bunch of balls smaller than bore down there. I'm wanting to get one to goof around with, but I don't want it if it isn't actually good enough to load up like a person would want to load a blunderbuss (like using small pistol balls as shot or something dumb like that)

Looking for answers about a gun Screen10

thesethawa

CapnSchep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Looking for answers about a gun Empty Re: Looking for answers about a gun

Post by George_Kelley 18/10/22, 10:29 pm

.54 caliber = 28 gauge
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by thesethawa 19/10/22, 05:52 am

Yeah.

thesethawa

Back to top Go down

Post by CapnSchep 28/10/22, 08:41 pm

A .54 would be 30 gauge according to the bore-gauge calculator I used which would be pretty nice for small game or use a PRB for big game .. The short barrel would definitely effect the velocity ..  Hovey Smith messed around with one for hunting, may check on his YouTube channel .. Just search  ‘Hovey Smith Blunderbuss’ on YouTube and you’ll find it, he did a few videos with it called  ‘Blunderbuss chronicles’ .. He hunted squirrels and Turkey, then he shoots a .535 round ball with it but for some reason doesn’t use a patch so his groups past 25 yards weren’t good .. Wish someone would chrony one of those with PRB .. Interesting 🧐 ..!

CapnSchep

Back to top Go down

Post by thesethawa 16/11/22, 04:56 pm

CapnSchep wrote:A .54 would be 30 gauge according to the bore-gauge calculator I used which would be pretty nice for small game or use a PRB for big game .. The short barrel would definitely effect the velocity ..  Hovey Smith messed around with one for hunting, may check on his YouTube channel .. Just search  ‘Hovey Smith Blunderbuss’ on YouTube and you’ll find it, he did a few videos with it called  ‘Blunderbuss chronicles’ .. He hunted squirrels and Turkey, then he shoots a .535 round ball with it but for some reason doesn’t use a patch so his groups past 25 yards weren’t good .. Wish someone would chrony one of those with PRB .. Interesting 🧐 ..!
Honestly, I have a hard time making myself listen to hovey smith...

thesethawa

Buckskins&BlackPowder and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by CapnSchep 16/11/22, 05:16 pm

He’s the only one I could find on YouTube that messes around with one, I think that the original blunderbusses were of far bigger bore and were often used on the old sailing ships .. With that funnel on the end of the barrel were convenient for putting whatever loose projectiles the shooter had on hand ..
I’d bet they were handy for clearing a quarterdeck full of mutineers lol 😂 ..,!!

CapnSchep

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 19/11/22, 05:13 am

I would order 28 gauge wads for over powder, cushion wads, and over shot wads. Try using # 4 buckshot for medium game like deer.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 19/11/22, 07:48 am

Its equal to a 28ga.

Admin
Admin

https://www.BS-BP.com

Back to top Go down