WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help wanted

3 posters

Go down

Help wanted Empty Help wanted

Post by Shorty 04/12/22, 09:21 am

Hello all. Can someone point me in the right direction. I have a .54 cal. Lyman plains rifle, i want to shoot it bullet to bore. How does one go about starting this procedure? Where is the reading i need on this forum. Ty shorty..

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Help wanted Empty Re: Help wanted

Post by Kurt 28/04/23, 12:09 pm

Shorty, the "bore' as I'm sure you know is the diameter from one Land to another in a rifle with an even number of lands and grooves. Your first step would be to determine that measurement. You can do it three ways 1. remove the breach plug and push a soft lead slug through(soaped bore), 2. push a soft lead slug with a hole drilled through it about a 1.5" and a rod attached to pull it back(soaped bore) or, 3. measure from one land to its opposite with a dial caliper using the inside measuring portion. You can also use inside calipers and a micrometer. If a Lyman has an odd number of lands you measure and extrapolate by taking the measurement of land and groove and adding the determined groove depth. The last portion of the barrel near the muzzle is the important part as it most affects the accuracy of the rifle. Once you know what your bore diameter is you can work to find a bullet that fits or can be sized to that diameter. Here is an online article that will explain it better.
https://www.bevfitchett.us/firearms-identification/measurement-of-bore-and-groove-diameters-1.html

I hope this is of some help in starting you out.

Kurt

Shorty and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 29/04/23, 07:17 am

Kurt wrote:Shorty, the "bore' as I'm sure you know is the diameter from one Land to another in a rifle with an even number of lands and grooves. Your first step would be to determine that measurement. You can do it three ways 1. remove the breach plug and push a soft lead slug through(soaped bore), 2. push a soft lead slug with a hole drilled through it about a 1.5" and a rod attached to pull it back(soaped bore) or, 3. measure from one land to its opposite with a dial caliper using the inside measuring portion. You can also use inside calipers and a micrometer. If a Lyman has an odd number of lands you measure and extrapolate by taking the measurement of land and groove and adding the determined groove depth. The last portion of the barrel near the muzzle is the important part as it most affects the accuracy of the rifle. Once you know what your bore diameter is you can work to find a bullet that fits or can be sized to that diameter. Here is an online article that will explain it better.
https://www.bevfitchett.us/firearms-identification/measurement-of-bore-and-groove-diameters-1.html

I hope this is of some help in starting you out.

Kurt, thanks for helping Shorty. As a matter of fact, I found that article very interesting also. Thanks again.
Stan
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Kurt and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 29/04/23, 03:39 pm

Great reading for a simple solution to my problem..ty all…

Shorty

Kurt and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down