WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flintlock touch holes Special type?

3 posters

Go down

Flintlock touch holes Special type? Empty Flintlock touch holes Special type?

Post by Kurt 28/03/23, 08:59 pm

Does anyone remember if there were touch holes made for Thompson Center and other flintlocks that had a special design to make them more efficient? I seem to remember they existed, and I believe mine went down the drain during one of my more recent cleaning sessions. I replaced it with one I had and for the first time in a long while I had the pan go off without igniting the powder in the chamber. Am I dreaming or did those touchholes really exist? Thanks, Kurt

Kurt

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Flintlock touch holes Special type? Empty Re: Flintlock touch holes Special type?

Post by FourtyDayCk54 27/04/23, 11:56 am

Hello Kurt: you might like this touch hole liner made by RMC. Here's the link: https://rmcoxyoke.com/product/rmc-flintlock-touch-hole-liner-replacements/

FourtyDayCk54

deerstalkert, Kurt and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Flintlock touch holes Special type? Empty Re: Flintlock touch holes Special type?

Post by Kurt 27/04/23, 03:30 pm

Thank you, I will look into those.

Kurt

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 04/06/23, 11:40 am

Kurt, if you have any way of inspecting the inside of the bore, check how much the liner intrudes into the bore. i have the best luck with no protrusion. for one thing cleaning patches won't hang up either.
i have a TC 54 cal flintlock with a GM barrel that would fire hit and miss until i shortened the liner to flush and polished the cone a bunch.
now it has about 200 shots without fail.
i really like the RMC liners too. use them in all my builds.

deerstalkert

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 04/06/23, 01:52 pm

deerstalkert, Thanks for the information. I will attempt to do that with ramrod feel. I was thinking about buying one of those things doctors look in your ear with but I'm not sure it will work, perhaps I'll see? Thank again.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 04/06/23, 04:50 pm

Kurt, Teslong makes some camera's on a wire . at least that's what i call them. drain cameras or endoscopes i guess is the right name. if you do get one, be prepared for sleepless nights. they show me way more than i care to know about the state of the bore. i wore out my shoulders cleaning what i thought were clean bores after getting a bore scope.
the best test is the patch getting hung up on the vent liner protruding into the bore.
it is kind of counter intuitive that my guns at least fire much better with the liner flush with the inside of the bore.
one would think introducing the flame and heat further into the main charge would be optimum. doesn't seem to work that way for me at least.
best of luck to you. tom

deerstalkert

Kurt and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down