WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pyrodex and Homemade BP vs Swiss

3 posters

Go down

Pyrodex and Homemade BP vs Swiss Empty Pyrodex and Homemade BP vs Swiss

Post by Tradbowhunter 31/12/23, 10:39 pm

Hello my name is Adam. I am 37, from MT and just recently got into muzzleloading. I don’t have access to BP and can only find pyrodex in my area. I’ve been watching videos on how to make BP and am curious if you can get the same kind of accuracy with homemade powder or pyrodex as Idaho Lewis can get with Schuetzen and Swiss? Or anything close to it? I understand he is a fantastic shooter. Any advice or insight would be appreciated. Thank you

Tradbowhunter

188mule, squattingdog and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Pyrodex and Homemade BP vs Swiss Empty Re: Pyrodex and Homemade BP vs Swiss

Post by Kurt 02/01/24, 09:25 am

Tradbowhunter, Welcome to the board. I assume you are shooting percussion guns so in my humble opinion, accuracy is in the bullet, ball/patch fit, the amount of powder, the sights, and your eyesight. I have seen Pyrodex produce great accuracy in inlines using jacketed bullets. Here in PA Pyrodex is cheaper than BP possibly because of our flintlock season and the higher demand for BP. I have shot Pyrodex through my percussion guns and my accuracy is acceptable for me and my poor eyes along with my 70 years old everything else. I'm sure you have seen the videos by Everything Black Powder. He has a lot of good info on making Black. Personally, I'd go all muzzleloader but for the Right removers scaring me into holding on to my other stuff. I wish you a lot of fun in your experimentation!

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Tradbowhunter 02/01/24, 06:37 pm

Thanks Kurt for the reply, I had watched the videos Lewis had posted on the TC Renegade muzzleloader. So I found a .54 percussion model and will see how I do.

Tradbowhunter

Rustycorvair likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 03/01/24, 06:56 pm

I have a TC renegade flintlock. The Renegades are great practical muzzleloaders.

Kurt

Rustycorvair and Tradbowhunter like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 10/01/24, 08:04 am

I watch Everything Blackpowder on you tube. He makes his own and doe some testing between his and factory powders. Also has a video showing a tumbler made from a old tread mill

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 10/01/24, 08:20 am

I used only substitutes for 20 years. Pyrodex and blackhorn. They work. Started using real Black powder about 7 years ago and I will not go back to substitutes. It's just so much better than substitutes. And way cheaper if you order enough to spread out the hazmat. Just saw powder valley has GOEX in stock $28 shuetzen was $23 I think. And swiss for $34. Swiss out of stock at powder valley. Found some swiss 2f for $38 at Graf and sons ordered some.

188mule

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down