WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long range build…or buy I can’t decide

+2
HC
Steelheader32
6 posters

Go down

Long range build…or buy I can’t decide  Empty Long range build…or buy I can’t decide

Post by Steelheader32 25/12/21, 03:54 pm

So I have been wanting a long range smoker for a while..the purpose will be for hunting but target shooting will of course be a bonus. I’m having a terribly tough time deciding what I want exactky and was wondering if I could get some insight..currently my option consist of both inline and sidelocks..

I have a spare T/C omega 28” ss setup that was a pawn shop find for cheap..it has some rust in the bore..was thinking of sending it off to mr hoyt for a fast twist barrel liner in .45 cal…this one peaks my interest because I love the omega platform..if any of you follow me on the other forums you know I have one of each model that was ever made..except for a 1/20 .45

Another option i have is with a sidelock..I have a hawken .50 cal barrel that is actually still in the white..but the bore is fairly rusted. I got this one at an estate sale. Serial number states it was from a kit rifle..unfortunately I couldn’t find the rest of the kit at the sale..anyways I figured this one would be great for a rebore as well..again I’d have mr hoyt install a barrel liner..

Third option would be to purchase a new smaller caliber inline..the Knight perigrine grabs my attention about ten times more than the cva Paramount..if I were to choose between the 2 the perigrine wins my vote…but the cost of each of these rifles is more than double the cost of the other 2 options…

Anyone ever had hoyt do work on an inline barrel? How about his fast twist barrel work in general? Any input on this stuff is appreciated

Steelheader32

Back to top Go down

Long range build…or buy I can’t decide  Empty Re: Long range build…or buy I can’t decide

Post by HC 25/12/21, 06:47 pm

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think he does in-line.

HC

Back to top Go down

Long range build…or buy I can’t decide  Empty Re: Long range build…or buy I can’t decide

Post by Steelheader32 25/12/21, 07:18 pm

He has been known to do a few. He prefers to work with the traditional stuff but I spoke with him last year about the omega barrels and he said to send them and he would do what he can do. I think it’s really l
About how the barrel is setup when he gets it..I plan to remove the sights, thimbles, etc..no sense on making him work harder than he has too for the price he charges

Steelheader32

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26/12/21, 05:56 am

You know me, I say the Sidelock

If i were to go with an inline it would be a Smokeless Build Very Happy  I am seriously contemplating doing one, They can get REALLY Expensive

If i had to choose between the CVA Paramount, and Knights new Peregrine i would go with the Knight, Though I’m not crazy about the idea of anything under a .45 Cal anymore. I have zero interest in CVA Rifles due to there QLA Muzzle Setup, There is just no reason for anything like that, i can’t make myself trust a Muzzle like that, I’ve seen to many Disasters with TC’s QLA Muzzle. So if i were to Buy a CVA Rifle i would have to Cut the Barrel back a 1/2” inch or so and Re-Crown it, That takes away any desire I might of had to ever own one
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelheader32 26/12/21, 06:16 am

A smokeless was an option..then I realized it’s not legal here in Michigan to hunt with..although I should probably look back into that since the mdnr allowed the use of shotguns and rifles during muzzleloader season the last 2 years..my first thought were a bestill omega..makes sense since I already have a platform to build from..I’m just not sure if I want to spend that much coin right now..it’s just shy of 5k for a build…

does anyone know if hoyts barrels with barrel liners installed can withstand magnum charges still like from the factory?

I mean I have also always liked the Knight mountaineers..a 45-1/20 would probably out perform my other rifles enough to make me happy

Steelheader32

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26/12/21, 06:45 am

Steelheader32 wrote:A smokeless was an option..then I realized it’s not legal here in Michigan to hunt with..although I should probably look back into that since the mdnr allowed the use of shotguns and rifles during muzzleloader season the last 2 years..my first thought were a bestill omega..makes sense since I already have a platform to build from..I’m just not sure if I want to spend that much coin right now..it’s just shy of 5k for a build…

does anyone know if hoyts barrels with barrel liners installed can withstand magnum charges still like from the factory?

I mean I have also always liked the Knight mountaineers..a 45-1/20 would probably out perform my other rifles enough to make me happy

The cost of a Smokeless Rig is the hangup for me as well, I don’t have any real purpose for one? They would not be legal for any Muzzleloader hunt around here, and for good reason. No doubt i would enjoy tinkering with one, but once i got it Dialed in it would likely spend most of the time in the Gun Safe, The High BC Bullets that really make these Rigs Shine are very expensive as well at over 100 Bucks per 50 Shocked Then ad a TOUGH, Proven Scope such as a Nightforce you are looking at well over 5K, probably closer to 7K for what i would want. Maybe someday? But not in my immediate future that’s for sure
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26/12/21, 06:48 am

I am not sure how Durable Hoyt’s Liners are? That is a Good question, I am curious to know as well
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Steelheader32 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelheader32 26/12/21, 07:18 am

Yea..bestills rigs are good for 500 yards with plenty of retained energy for whitetail..right around 1100 if I recall..part of me thinks I could get close to that with bh209 powder in a Knight or custom omega if it would hold up..even a sidelock with a stout load of Swiss with a long 45 caliber chunk of lead will retain quite a bit of energy

Steelheader32

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 26/12/21, 08:12 am

Steelheader32 wrote:Yea..bestills rigs are good for 500 yards with plenty of retained energy for whitetail..right around 1100 if I recall..part of me thinks I could get close to that with bh209 powder in a Knight or custom omega if it would hold up..even a sidelock with a stout load of Swiss  with a  long 45 caliber chunk of lead will retain quite a bit of energy

There is nothing like Big Lead for energy retention, Good example of this is my 1,200 Yard Shoots, My .300 Winchester Magnum with 180 Grain Jacketed Bullets traveling at nearly 3,000 Fps at the Muzzle doesn’t do anything visible to my 20” inch Steel Plate (This Plate weighs 60 pounds) Hits are not even detectable at Long Ranges, You don’t hear the Gong Etc. My big heavy Muzzleloader Bullets on the other hand, leaving the Barrel at only 1,350 Fps Hit with SERIOUS authority, Even at 1,200 Yards, You can clearly see the Big Steel Plate Swing, and a Very Audible Ring come back from the Hit.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Maxjon, Bighilt, Shorty and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Steelheader32 26/12/21, 08:33 am

It makes ya wonder just how much energy those big heavy slugs retain at that range..my ballistics calculator I refer to doesn’t have much for muzzlelaoder stuff..but I can type in hand load info for rifles such as a 45-70 and I’m sure I could get a rough idea

Steelheader32

Admin and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hillbill 06/01/22, 05:14 pm

Long range and smokeless go hand in hand but yes they do get expensive.
Keep in mind that you can also shoot Black Horn 209 in these guns very accurately with some pretty good speeds.

I have made some pretty long kills with these guns, much longer than with a centerfire but these days I don't shoot one much either.

Hillbill

Admin and Steelheader32 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 09/01/22, 09:47 pm

Hillbill wrote:Long range and smokeless go hand in hand but yes they do get expensive.
Keep in mind that you can also shoot Black Horn 209 in these guns very accurately with some pretty good speeds.

I have made some pretty long kills with these guns, much longer than with a centerfire but these days I don't shoot one much either.

Bill, What are the “stats” of your current Smokeless Rig? (Bullet, Weight, velocity, Etc) Is it More of a Hunting Rifle than a Bench Gun? What Scope are you running on it?
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 10/01/22, 07:47 pm

Steelheader32 wrote:

Another option i have is with a sidelock..I have a hawken .50 cal barrel that is actually still in the white..but the bore is fairly rusted...

I would start with a copper wire brush and solvent to get that rust out, then go to a cleaning jag and patch with JB bore paste and kroil.Then inspect the bore to see if there might be pitting. If there is no pitting then experiment with paper patched bullets. I would get the same bullet molds that Idaho Lewis is using, copy success.

BTW, consider browning that in the white barrel and use gun wax on both metal and wood for a final finish. Birchwood Casey has the products needed.

Last edited by George_Kelley on 10/01/22, 07:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : addendum)
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Africa58X 15/03/22, 06:24 pm

In my opinion, Sidelock. My Renegade Gm Lrh .45 can reach… with decent sights it’s a shooter. I just look at a person a tad different when they can accurately hit at distance with old school gear- as to someone with a calculator, $5k Hubble scope and charts.
Class and style are part of rifles and I just aquired my classic .50- a Tc Cougar with a Gm Lrh in SS- ita good looking rifle to say the least. I’m sure with Harder cast lead than pure ita shoot with them in lines. Just sold a Savage ML10 and encore SS.50 to go this route. Old school is cool

Africa58X

Bad Karma likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down