WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long

3 posters

Go down

.58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long Empty .58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long

Post by CaptainNarwhals 21/03/22, 08:34 pm

Perhaps due to some form of insanity, I've decided to build a massive, .58-caliber, conical-shooting pistol. After doing some research, I've discovered the 1855 Pistol-carbine, which used a 450 gr. Minie ball over 40 gr. 2F, so I'm going to try to emulate this using more commonly available components. I figured I'd start a thread to document the build, and hopefully pick up some advice along the way.

Current build/parts list:
-Pecatonica "Trapper Pistol" stock in walnut
Small Siler percussion lock
Single trigger (a set trigger on something this ridiculous frightens me if I'm being honest)
-12" .58 barrel, 1-24" twist. Probably from Rice, need to see if they can swing the caliber/twist rate combo.
-Brass fittings- brass being more dense than steel. I'll need all the weight I can get.
Since the stock is intended for a 10.5" barrel I'll also need a brass nose cap: both to add weight at the muzzle and make up the difference in length
-Ramrod: I'll start with a standard hickory ramrod and move to solid brass if I need even more weight.

The only part that I've ordered so far is the stock. With that said, I'm not sure if I should use a barrel wedge and hooked breech or a solid breech and pins. I REALLY want to make sure that barrel stays put. If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it!
CaptainNarwhals
CaptainNarwhals

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

.58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long Empty Re: .58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long

Post by Northerngos 04/09/22, 11:09 pm

Any progress on the build? I have a scout pistol barrel out to be rebored in 58, also one in smooth bore 62 if there is enough meat to work with.

Northerngos

Back to top Go down

.58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long Empty Re: .58 Monster Pistol: Advice and Build-a-long

Post by CaptainNarwhals 05/09/22, 05:59 am

Unfortunately not, I've had to prioritize other projects. I've only got the stock and the lock, still need the barrel and everything else. I have decided that I'm probably going to pin the barrel given that there's only about a quarter inch of wood to work with.
CaptainNarwhals
CaptainNarwhals

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainNarwhals 07/02/23, 08:31 am

So, it's been nearly a year, I figure it's time for an update:

Life happened, and I had to pause this project as my money was required elsewhere until now. I've acquired the stock and the lock, but unfortunately Rice says they're out of 1" pistol barrels. I'm either going to have to go with a different manufacturer, or wait 6-8 months.

The stock is cut for a 10" barrel, and originally I was planning on using a 12" barrel and either letting the last 2" float or making up a longer forend cap. Now, I'm thinking that since this stock is already bigger than my Uberti Walker, I may just re-order a 10" barrel. Not sure that the extra length is going to help me out too much compared to the bulk. Had I know it would take this long, I might've just had a stock cut for 12"... oh well.

As for a projectile, I'm thinking about having Accurate Molds make up a standard hollow-base minie ball, but essentially with the tip snipped off. Perhaps 0.800 in. length, 0.400 meplat, and hopefully around 400gr. which should be more than enough to punch through anything in Texas.

If anyone knows of other pistol barrel manufacturers that might have a shorter lead time, I'd appreciate it.
CaptainNarwhals
CaptainNarwhals

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 07/02/23, 01:53 pm

CaptainNarwhals wrote:So, it's been nearly a year, I figure it's time for an update:

Life happened, and I had to pause this project as my money was required elsewhere until now. I've acquired the stock and the lock, but unfortunately Rice says they're out of 1" pistol barrels. I'm either going to have to go with a different manufacturer, or wait 6-8 months.

The stock is cut for a 10" barrel, and originally I was planning on using a 12" barrel and either letting the last 2" float or making up a longer forend cap. Now, I'm thinking that since this stock is already bigger than my Uberti Walker, I may just re-order a 10" barrel. Not sure that the extra length is going to help me out too much compared to the bulk. Had I know it would take this long, I might've just had a stock cut for 12"... oh well.

As for a projectile, I'm thinking about having Accurate Molds make up a standard hollow-base minie ball, but essentially with the tip snipped off. Perhaps 0.800 in. length, 0.400 meplat, and hopefully around 400gr. which should be more than enough to punch through anything in Texas.

If anyone knows of other pistol barrel manufacturers that might have a shorter lead time, I'd appreciate it.

That 400 gr should be enough to punch through about anything in Colorado to. Good fortune to you and pics as you go. I want to see that beast.
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down