WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

4 posters

Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by AJHS 25/02/22, 05:16 pm

I saw a post of Idaho Lewis' elsewhere where he found that Schuetzen 2F was considerably less energetic than an equivalent amount of Swiss powder.  At the moment, I can get my hands on Schuetzen and not Swiss.  Anybody have any data on how much Schutzen to use to get a 385 grain bullet to about 1400 FPS?  Would it be better to use 2f or 3f In a .50 cal 24" barrel percussion rifle to get that velocity...I know that usually it is 2f for .50 cal, but the same way Idaho Lewis used 777 3f in the .50 cal for a specific reason, maybe 100 grains 3f of schuetzen would be more energetic than 100 grains of 2f but still within the pressure tolerances of the barrel.


Last edited by AJHS on 25/02/22, 05:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)

AJHS

Posts : 19
Join date : 2022-02-18

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Bronko22000 08/03/22, 07:54 am

In that short a barrel I'd personally go with the 3f. Start off with 80 gr. I never checked the velocity of my muzzys but I had one t/C Hawken that liked 100 gr of Goex 3f
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 08/03/22, 11:49 am

Shoot what gives you your best accuracy.

_________________
Buckskins & Black Powder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Admin
Admin

Posts : 112
Join date : 2021-11-26
Age : 40
Location : Colorado

https://www.BS-BP.com

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Admin 08/03/22, 05:27 pm

AJHS wrote:I saw a post of Idaho Lewis' elsewhere where he found that Schuetzen 2F was considerably less energetic than an equivalent amount of Swiss powder.  At the moment, I can get my hands on Schuetzen and not Swiss.  Anybody have any data on how much Schutzen to use to get a 385 grain bullet to about 1400 FPS?  Would it be better to use 2f or 3f In a .50 cal 24" barrel percussion rifle to get that velocity...I know that usually it is 2f for .50 cal, but the same way Idaho Lewis used 777 3f in the .50 cal for a specific reason, maybe 100 grains 3f of schuetzen would be more energetic than 100 grains of 2f but still within the pressure tolerances of the barrel.  

Schuetzen is some really weak stuff, I doubt you will get a 385 Grain Bullet to 1400 Fps with it? My findings have been Anything much over 100 Grains of powder it doesn’t burn efficiently. If Schuetzen is what you are stuck with, i would try 100 Grains of 3F

If you can find some Triple Seven 3F you will get that 385 Grain Bullet to 1,400 Fps No problem! 70 By weight or 80 By Volume is a serious Load
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 677
Join date : 2021-09-19
Age : 40
Location : Eastern Colorado

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Bronko22000 and AJHS like this post

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by AJHS 10/03/22, 06:34 am

[quote="Idaholewis"]
AJHS wrote:
Schuetzen is some really weak stuff, I doubt you will get a 385 Grain Bullet to 1400 Fps with it?

If you can find some Triple Seven 3F you will get that 385 Grain Bullet to 1,400 Fps No problem! 70 By weight or 80 By Volume is a serious Load

What caps do you use to ignite 777 3f consistently? I was using Winchester magnum caps with 777 2F and there was a delay... Does 3f ignite faster? Does it ignite with standard caps or has to be magnum?

AJHS

Posts : 19
Join date : 2022-02-18

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 10/03/22, 09:46 am

Swap the nipple to a knight redhot or the spitfire nipple. Either provide more volume from the cap to reliably set off subs.

_________________
Buckskins & Black Powder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Admin
Admin

Posts : 112
Join date : 2021-11-26
Age : 40
Location : Colorado

https://www.BS-BP.com

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by AJHS 10/03/22, 10:55 am

Buckskins&BlackPowder wrote:Swap the nipple to a knight redhot or the spitfire nipple. Either provide more volume from the cap to reliably set off subs.

Thanks. I cannot tell if the redhot fits a 6x1mm nipple, it is for a Traditions Deerhunter

AJHS

Posts : 19
Join date : 2022-02-18

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 10/03/22, 11:08 am

yes 6-1mm would be correct. BTW, I do not believe i'd try pushing a 385gr conical at 1400 through a deerhunter unless that stock is bedded.

_________________
Buckskins & Black Powder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Admin
Admin

Posts : 112
Join date : 2021-11-26
Age : 40
Location : Colorado

https://www.BS-BP.com

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by AJHS 15/03/22, 06:59 am

Buckskins&BlackPowder wrote:yes 6-1mm would be correct. BTW, I do not believe i'd try pushing a 385gr conical at 1400 through a deerhunter unless that stock is bedded.

Hogdon's load data says that 80 grains of 2f will push the Hornady Great Plains 385g at 1423, so I imagine that Swiss 2F would be similar...I've shot that out of my Deerhunter and it worked well. Why would the barrel needed to be bedded {and, ah, rookie question...what does bedded mean!?)


AJHS

Posts : 19
Join date : 2022-02-18

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Bronko22000 15/03/22, 11:58 am

Bedding is the process of adding a material to the barrel channel giving the barrel a consistent bed to set in which aids in accuracy. It also adds rigidity to the stock.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Posts : 373
Join date : 2022-01-20
Age : 70
Location : Locust Gap, PA

stikshooter and HC like this post

Back to top Go down

How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use? Empty Re: How much Schuetzen 2f or 3f to use?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum