WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

question about patched ball accuracy

5 posters

Go down

question about patched ball accuracy Empty question about patched ball accuracy

Post by bullshop 29/03/22, 07:14 pm

I have always been a loaner in life as well as my recreational shooting so I don't have anything to compare to. My question is , " what is considered good accuracy shooting a patched ball from a conventional cap lock rifle shooting at 100 yards "" ? There will likely be as many different opinions on this as there are shooters but I would like to hear them. Thanks!

bullshop

Back to top Go down

question about patched ball accuracy Empty Re: question about patched ball accuracy

Post by 30338 29/03/22, 08:00 pm

I don't shoot with others much so not into comparing. For me I figure if I can get 2" groups at 100 yards with patched roundball that is pretty good. Anything over 4" and I need to start looking at load components. Just my opinion and experience.

Back to top Go down

question about patched ball accuracy Empty Re: question about patched ball accuracy

Post by bullshop 29/03/22, 08:14 pm

I guess we should also look at sights when comparing groups. So with what type of sight is a 2" group at 100 yards good? I dont think it fair to qualify a certain group size as being good with all type of sights. I know I can do better with a tang mounted peep than with a barrel mounted buckhorn and then better with a scop that with a peep.
So the 2"/100 yard standard is with what type of sight ?

bullshop

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 30338 29/03/22, 08:38 pm

Those groups are with German Silver front blade and a Hawken rear sight. A guy can hold pretty tight with those really.

Back to top Go down

Post by bullshop 29/03/22, 09:51 pm

I agree 2" at 100 yards with a patched ball and those sights is good shooting. I cant do it. I think I can with a peep sight but I still have to prove it.

bullshop

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mcknight77 30/03/22, 09:21 am

2" is what I strive for, for both PRB and conicals, but I need a peep sight to do it consistently. Therefore, I've got peep sights on all my rifles. Without the peep sight I'm just wasting powder and ball trying to shoot groups, not knowing if it is the rifle or me that needs work.

mcknight77

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 30/03/22, 04:09 pm

Shooting small groups is what all of us aim for (hmmm I just made a pun).  However unless you have exceptional sights 2" groups or better @ 100 yards with open sights and PRB is exceptional shooting.  I've done it a time or two but that's not the norm.  With peep sights and globe front and conicals or saboted bullets 2" is usually not a problem.
We all tend to get hung up too much on accuracy. Now that's not a bad thing and we all try for perfection but when you get right down to it a 4" group is more than adequate for most deer hunting from 100 yards and in.
What I like about shooting muzzleloaders is the fact that no two are alike and even the smallest change can make a huge difference.  A couple thousands in patch thickness, a 5 or 10 gr change in charge volume, patch lube, powder size (granules).  I enjoy finding the best combination for my muzzys and try to squeeze every drop of accuracy out of them. This is a group (3 center shots) taken with my .58 @ 100 yards after a couple sight adjustments. This is the first time out with this rifle and custom barrel.  I still have some playing around to do.

question about patched ball accuracy _58_re11

This is a paper patched conical from my .45 Hawken GM LRH barrel open sights @ 100 yds.
question about patched ball accuracy Accura10

Last edited by Bronko22000 on 30/03/22, 04:44 pm; edited 4 times in total
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

MR-FLOPPY-SOCKS and EasternOregon .50cal GPR like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 30338 30/03/22, 04:12 pm

My last 3 deer killed on the plains have been 22 yards, 100 yards and 30 yards. We definitely overthink things. I'd hunt a 4" load anytime. I'd be thinking how to tighten it up the whole time lol, but nothing you can't do with a 4" shooting rifle.

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullshop 30/03/22, 05:23 pm

I guess I should have been more specific about the reason for asking the question. It should have included, " for competitive shooting "" The rifle would probably be classed a light target.

bullshop

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30/03/22, 05:28 pm

bullshop wrote:I have always been a loaner in life as well as my recreational  shooting so I don't have anything to compare to.   My question is ,  "  what is considered good accuracy shooting a patched ball from a conventional cap lock rifle shooting at 100 yards "" ?    There will likely be as many different opinions on this as there are shooters but I would like to hear them.  Thanks!

Dan, I have been able to get True 1” Groups at 100 Yards with my Green Mountain Roundball twist Barrel, I have the same sight system here as i am using on my Long Range Bullet Rifles which is a BIG KEY to being able to do this, this sight system is about 600 Dollars. Lee Shaver Long Range Soule Tang peep, and Lee Shaver adjustable windage Front sight with Spirit level.

question about patched ball accuracy Gm4zpyi
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

MR-FLOPPY-SOCKS likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullshop 30/03/22, 05:33 pm

May I ask about specifics of the load such as , powder type and volume, caliber and ball diameter, patch type and thickness, lube ?

bullshop

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 30/03/22, 05:54 pm

Bullshop then you're going to need top quality sights. I don't need them for my PRB shooters because in my hunting area 100 yards is almost impossible except for a couple spots. Most of my shot are 75 yards and in. I shoot a semi-buckhorn sight and gold bead front sight.
I use the Marbles 64H semi-buckhorn rear sight on my hunting rifles but definitely not good enough for competition. I can normally keep My PRBs inside 2" with this set up.
Lewis has likely the best sight set up you can buy.

Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30/03/22, 07:58 pm

bullshop wrote:May I ask about specifics of the load such as , powder type and volume, caliber and ball diameter, patch type and thickness, lube ?

I shoot Swiss 2F, 80 Grains by Weight. .50 Cal, .495 Ball cast of Pure Lead, .020 Dril Cloth from Joann Fabric, Lubed with Stihl HP Ultra 2 Stroke Engine oil & 100% Peanut oil mixed 50/50 in a Small Spray Bottle. I am using an Over Powder Patch (Just another Patch pushed down on the Powder, this is to help protect the Patched Ball)

This load is TIGHT, It is a Target/Bench Load. I am loading with my OC Solid Brass Range Rod, This Rod makes sending a Tight Load down the Bore easy question about patched ball accuracy 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

MR-FLOPPY-SOCKS, TD BRIGHT, Bronko22000 and SJHANSEN94 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bullshop 30/03/22, 08:01 pm

Thank you !

bullshop

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down