WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks

5 posters

Go down

Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks Empty Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks

Post by Grifm 05/06/22, 09:51 am

Good morning all,   I’m in the process of getting back into shooting muzzleloaders and this go around I want to get a side lock.   The main objective is hunting (deer/hogs mostly but ultimately want to get into hunting elk). Max range on game would be 100yds +/-

My past experience has all been with inlines and I still have my encore 209x50 but haven’t shot it in probably 15-20 years.  Based off the experience I had with my encore I’m leaning towards a 54 cal.  Most shooting would be with a PRB but I would like the option to shoot the smaller conicals (Lyman’s plains bullet/“I” bullet)

Right now I’m leaning towards buying a used TC renegade 50 cal and sending to to Bobby Hoyt and having him rebore to 54 cal. My question is, what would you recommend as for twist rate?  Obviously I could stick with the 1in48 but would it be worth it to tweak it one way or the other?

The other option I’ve thought about is getting the renegade barrel cut for PRBs and also sending my encore barrel and having it bored to a 54 fast twist.  

Edit: forgot my second question… for those of you with a TC renegade/hawken/similar rifles. What is the point of the spur on the trigger guard and does it get in the way at the range or while hunting? It just seems like it might hook things or be on comfortable when holding/carrying the gun in certain positions.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/inputs.

Matt

Grifm

Back to top Go down

Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks Empty Re: Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks

Post by EdMehlig 05/06/22, 01:10 pm

For me it doesn’t get in the way hunting/target shooting. In fact I find it very helpful in steading the rifle when shooting when I use it to help pull the rifle to the shoulder.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Grifm, Bronko22000 and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks Empty Re: Getting back into muzzleloaders/new to side locks

Post by Grifm 05/06/22, 03:15 pm

Just to make sure I’m following, you hook your middle finger on it while shooting? Don’t know that it would have ever occurred to me to do that.

Thanks

Grifm

Ivan Wagurak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 05/06/22, 03:41 pm

Yep
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Grifm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusticbob 08/06/22, 03:56 am

T/C would be a great choice. You can still buy Renegades and Hawken in .54, no need to wait. Check the Modern Muzzleloader and Traditional Muzzleloader forums both have .54’s for sale now.
Rusticbob
Rusticbob

EdMehlig and Grifm like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifm 08/06/22, 04:07 pm

Rusticbob wrote:T/C would be a great choice. You can still buy Renegades and Hawken in .54, no need to wait. Check the Modern Muzzleloader and Traditional Muzzleloader forums both have .54’s for sale now.

I’ve been lurking around on modernmuzzleloader and themuzzleloadingform but haven’t seen any renegades recently. I’ve been watching the auction sites as well. I tend to get a bit nervous buying a used firearm over the internet, that’s the main reason I’ve been leaning towards getting a 50 and sending it to Bobby Hoyt to make a 54…. It will take a bit more money and time but I know it will have a good bore. If I see a 54 that looks good we’ll maintained/cared for id probably get it, worst case would be to have it bored out to 58. I’m gathering that a 58cal PRB will do everything I want it to do just with a little bit different trajectory.

I’ll keep looking on the other sites for a good gun. Thanks for the reply.

-Matt

Grifm

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 09/06/22, 08:24 am

Grifm wrote:
Rusticbob wrote:T/C would be a great choice. You can still buy Renegades and Hawken in .54, no need to wait. Check the Modern Muzzleloader and Traditional Muzzleloader forums both have .54’s for sale now.

I’ve been lurking around on modernmuzzleloader and themuzzleloadingform but haven’t seen any renegades recently.  I’ve been watching the auction sites as well.   I tend to get a bit nervous buying a used firearm over the internet, that’s the main reason I’ve been leaning towards getting a 50 and sending it to Bobby Hoyt to make a 54…. It will take a bit more money and time but I know it will have a good bore.   If I see a 54 that looks good we’ll maintained/cared for id probably get it, worst case would be to have it bored out to 58.  I’m gathering that a 58cal PRB will do everything I want it to do just with a little bit different trajectory.  

I’ll keep looking on the other sites for a good gun.  Thanks for the reply.

-Matt

Wish you had checked the classified here. Jonathan just sold one 2 days ago.
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifm 09/06/22, 03:47 pm

I’ve been watching here too. I saw the single trigger one, not sure if that’s the one your talking about. I’ll keep looking, I’m not in a huge rush.

Thanks

Grifm

Grifm and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 28/06/22, 06:18 pm

Grifm wrote:Just to make sure I’m following, you hook your middle finger on it while shooting?   Don’t know that it would have ever occurred to me to do that.

Thanks
I love the trigger guard on the T/Cs. In fact for me its uncomfortable shooting a muzzy without that "hook"
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

EdMehlig likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down