WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang!

2 posters

Go down

Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang! Empty Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang!

Post by knifemaker3 28/09/22, 03:06 pm

Shared this on a couple other forums. Share here as well.

Video on how I took my navy replica , dunked the cylinder in a bucket of water for over an hour and was still able to make it shoot.

Read about this from some stuff written on Colt guns back in the day and wanted to see if it could actually be done. I proved to myself it can!

knifemaker3

CapnSchep likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang! Empty Re: Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang!

Post by CapnSchep 12/10/22, 05:33 pm

Good video, I watched a video where a guy sprinkled water 💦 on his Colt replica, he didn’t dry it off and it wouldn’t fire, he didn’t seal up the caps like you did so I can understand the powder getting wet but I thought for sure the caps would’ve fired but they did not .. It was a Colt replica, don’t know if a Remington would’ve done any better with a heavier hammer spring ..

CapnSchep

knifemaker3 and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang! Empty Re: Dunk your revolver in water and it still go bang!

Post by knifemaker3 12/10/22, 06:48 pm

CapnSchep, the only thing I dried off was the excess water so it wouldn’t drip down into my frame as bad.
Like I said in the video this was my mileage with what I did. Not saying it will work for anyone else. I do recommend on pietta made guns to hand chamfer the mouth of the cylinder. On this gun you could feel the burr left from the manufacturing process. Not sure if uberti guns are the same.
I don’t have a 58 Remington to test this on or I would.
I plan to see if I scrap all the excess wax off and just leave it on the come so the cap will seal and in the threads to see if it would work better. With the amount of wax I had on this test actually carrying the gun in dirty areas would collect dirt and crud and possibly make the gun inoperable.
But, I do know that it worked this way for me. Hopefully you have the same results should you try it.

knifemaker3

Back to top Go down

Post by CapnSchep 12/10/22, 07:08 pm

I’m not disputing whether the method that you used worked or not, obviously it worked great .. I was just pointing out that water on the back of the cylinder might hinder the caps from firing .. Just wondering if back in the day those cap and ball pistols would fire when wet on a rainy day .. Maybe that’s why most everyone used the flap type holsters .. Perhaps my comments are off subject and maybe I’ll try it sometime, I wouldn’t even load powder and try with just the caps ..🤠

CapnSchep

Back to top Go down

Post by CapnSchep 12/10/22, 07:14 pm

CapnSchep wrote:I’m not disputing whether the method that you used worked or not, obviously it worked great .. I was just pointing out that water on the back of the cylinder might hinder the caps from firing .. Just wondering if back in the day those cap and ball pistols would fire when wet on a rainy day .. Maybe that’s why most everyone used the flap type holsters .. Perhaps my comments are off subject and maybe I’ll try it sometime, I wouldn’t even load powder and try with just the caps ..🤠
The 51 Colt navy is the best looking revolver EVER ...!!

CapnSchep

Back to top Go down

Post by knifemaker3 12/10/22, 07:16 pm

Sorry I didn’t mean to make you think I was implying that I thought you were doubting me. I was trying to further explain what I had done. Some times I have problems articulating in print what’s on my mind!

https://www.frontieramericanillustratednews.com/post/colt-s-36-navy-revolver-the-lesser-known-tips-from-sam-colt-himself

Don’t know if this link will work but it’s where I read the piece of what was written about dunking the originals in water.

Hope this helps

knifemaker3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down