WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions

3 posters

Go down

.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions Empty .45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions

Post by CaptainNarwhals 29/09/22, 08:26 am

I'm looking to purchase a mold for my 1911 in .45 ACP. I'd like a flat nose so that I can use it as both in a plinking load and possibly in a woods carry load for coyotes and other beasties. My issue is there's just too many to choose from! I know that the 1911 can be finicky with non-round nosed bullets. Mine seems to feed and cycle hollow points O.K. but I haven't had the opportunity to try flat noses. I've cast plenty of muzzle loader bullets but I've never cast for or reloaded cartridges before so I haven't pinned down what weight to use, lube vs. powder coat, etc. though I'll probably be using softer lead with a water quench.

I was wondering what molds/loads/methods you fine folks might be using that work for you. Thanks!
CaptainNarwhals
CaptainNarwhals

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions Empty Re: .45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions

Post by Bert621 30/10/22, 09:02 pm

I'm kinda looking too. The Lee 200gr rnfp cycles good for me and it's easy to cast. I powder coated them.

Bert621

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions Empty Re: .45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions

Post by Ivan Wagurak 18/11/22, 04:38 am

CaptainNarwhals wrote:I'm looking to purchase a mold for my 1911 in .45 ACP. I'd like a flat nose so that I can use it as both in a plinking load and possibly in a woods carry load for coyotes and other beasties. My issue is there's just too many to choose from! I know that the 1911 can be finicky with non-round nosed bullets. Mine seems to feed and cycle hollow points O.K. but I haven't had the opportunity to try flat noses. I've cast plenty of muzzle loader bullets but I've never cast for or reloaded cartridges before so I haven't pinned down what weight to use, lube vs. powder coat, etc. though I'll probably be using softer lead with a water quench.

I was wondering what molds/loads/methods you fine folks might be using that work for you. Thanks!

Hello I bought a mold from accurate molds, it’s a 200gr truncated cone bullet. It has a nice flat point leaves a good hole in the target and is verry accurate as well .45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions D8096a10
.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions 0ecbc910
.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions 3b6ae010
I usually just use lee’s liquid alox and have 0 leading and no alox buildup either, it’s just my preference. My 45 acp doesn’t like hollow points but this feeds just as good as a round nose. Normally I’m using wheel weight metal and let them air cool, and you will need to slug the barrel and go .001”-.002” over. Mine takes a .451” pretty typical. Also you will have to specify what metal you are using too. I hope this helps you
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 18/11/22, 04:43 am

Oh I forgot to mention Lyman pistol and handgun manual has a tons of good info, it’s the same info as the regular manual with out the rifle data. Blue dot is a good powder but dirty, 800x and universal is another good one just look at the manuals and decide what’s best for you
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 18/11/22, 04:53 am

.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions 1c19ae10
.45 ACP mold Decision Paralysis: need suggestions C3786f10

And one last but extremely important piece of info! Head spacing! You’ll probably have to trim your brass before you can use it. The pictures above have correct head spacing for my 45 acp, and when you expand the brass you only want to do so just enough to just start the bullet and no more
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down