WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New join from Idaho

2 posters

Go down

New join from Idaho Empty New join from Idaho

Post by wowzers 26/11/23, 01:03 pm

Just got back from a muzzleloader elk hunt and I’ve got the itch to build up a hunting rifle that is going to be Idaho legal. I stumbled across the 1200 yd shooting video and it lead me here.

I like that Idaho has kept its hunting regulations pretty strict but I’m definitely looking to maximize what I can. Thanks for having me.

wowzers

188mule, squattingdog and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

New join from Idaho Empty Re: New join from Idaho

Post by squattingdog 26/11/23, 01:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. How did that elk hunt go?
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by wowzers 26/11/23, 05:04 pm

It was pretty tough hunt honestly. Think the weather had things screwed up and there just weren’t a lot of elk around. Screwed up a stalk on nice six point but ended up tagging a little five point.

wowzers

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 27/11/23, 08:07 am

wowzers wrote:It was pretty tough hunt honestly. Think the weather had things screwed up and there just weren’t a lot of elk around. Screwed up a stalk on nice six point but ended up tagging a little five point.

I know what you mean about tough hunt. Really glad you got one though.

We went ML season in Colorado, Sept 9-17. Rained and hailed most of the time. I think we had 3 non-consecutive hunt-able days. We never saw any elk. The boys went down deep in to a draw and were able to call in some elk, but, then they just disappeared.
We had 2-cow tag and 1 bull tag, 2 doe tags and 1 buck tag. My oldest tagged a doe. But, we had a great time together, kept dry except for the first night, plenty of good food.
squattingdog
squattingdog

Back to top Go down

Post by wowzers 27/11/23, 03:51 pm

Thank you. I’ve killed several cows up in the northern part of the state where it’s thick timber but this was big open sage country that was a whole new animal for me with the muzzleloader. We still have a couple weeks of either sex whitetail muzzleloader left so we’ll see what turns up for that.

Think my next venture is going to be seeing if I can draw a pronghorn tag for this rifle I’m going to build.

wowzers

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 27/11/23, 03:55 pm

wowzers wrote:Thank you. I’ve killed several cows up in the northern part of the state where it’s thick timber but this was big open sage country that was a whole new animal for me with the muzzleloader. We still have a couple weeks of either sex whitetail muzzleloader left so we’ll see what turns up for that.

Think my next venture is going to be seeing if I can draw a pronghorn tag for this rifle I’m going to build.

We haven't hunted Antelope in a few years. Thinking about the Spring turkey season now. Been seeing turkey all over the place near my property.
Good luck on the deer hunt. Keep us informed.
squattingdog
squattingdog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down