WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possibly my last big game hunt

+3
harry.combs
Ironhead
Grant Northcott
7 posters

Go down

Possibly my last big game hunt Empty Possibly my last big game hunt

Post by Grant Northcott 15/02/22, 03:50 am

I'm 65 as of last November and honestly, I think I'm nearing the end of my hunting exploits. I've so far used my modern rifles ranging from a .223 rem up to a .308 win for harvesting whitetail deer. If next year is to be my last big game hunt, I would love to use my .54 caliber Renegade to drop a nice deer. Lewis has injected much hope and excitement into me for this muzzleloading sport with his accuracy exploits!
Grant Northcott
Grant Northcott

harry.combs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Possibly my last big game hunt Empty Re: Possibly my last big game hunt

Post by Ironhead 16/02/22, 07:20 am

I guess we all get to that point where we should retire from hunting. I'm pushing 70 and I hope to get a few more years in the woods.
These last couple years, I've gone pretty much all traditional muzzleloading. Real black powder and patched ball.
I just picked up an older CVA 54 caliber. It's in pretty good condition and when I get the .530 balls and patch material for it, I'll be sighting in and plan to hunt deer with it next season.
I say to go for it yourself, enjoy your time in the woods.
Ironhead
Ironhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 16/02/22, 09:37 am

Grant Northcott wrote:I'm 65 as of last November and honestly, I think I'm nearing the end of my hunting exploits. I've so far used my modern rifles ranging from a .223 rem up to a .308 win for harvesting whitetail deer. If next year is to be my last big game hunt, I would love to use my .54 caliber Renegade to drop a nice deer. Lewis has injected much hope and excitement into me for this muzzleloading sport with his accuracy exploits!

Grant, don't sell yourself short. 65, you're still in the prime of life.
I don't know your health situation, that is your business only, however you do look like you can go for a good many years yet.
At 73 I still hunt the Colorado mountains with my 2 sons.

Back to top Go down

Post by harry.combs 12/10/22, 06:43 pm

Back 53 years ago when I started deer hunting the thought of quitting because of age was not on the table. Now I'm pushing 70 and had joints replaced in order to trudge the hills of Tennessee again like I always did has given me a whole new perspective. As long as I can climb up in a ladder stand or box stand, I'm stubborn enough to keep on going. Don't let age get in your way but if your health want allow, I totally understand. I have a collection of black powder guns and will be shooting 50 cal handgun. 50 and 54 cal. rifles. I wish you and everyone on here the best deer season ever! Take care, be safe, and have fun!

harry.combs

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusticbob 27/11/22, 04:25 am

Don’t give up yet!
I turned 70 this year, all my good hunting buddies have either died or moved away to warmer climates. Now I hunt alone. I was thinking of giving up deer hunting myself, but this past Friday I decided to take my “old reliable “ Ruger 77 in 30-06 for a walk in the rain.
About 9am a hot doe came running by with this 5 point buck in hot pursuit. He made the mistake of stopping in the goldenrod field at about 100 yards. I picked up my open sighted Ruger and shot him, he only went about 50 yards,(all downhill of course!).
I dressed him out and dragged him out by myself, not easy, but the Jetsled made the drag much easier.
If I can do it, anyone can. Don’t give up yet! I will spend most of today skinning and processing this nice fat little buck, and then get to enjoy eating him this winter. Possibly my last big game hunt Ca966510
Possibly my last big game hunt Eefb7510
Possibly my last big game hunt Ca966510
Rusticbob
Rusticbob

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusticbob 27/11/22, 04:27 am

Sorry for all the duplicate pictures, once I put them up on my post, I could not figure out how to erase the extras. I am technologically challenged!
Rusticbob
Rusticbob

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 27/11/22, 09:12 am

Rusticbob wrote:Sorry for all the duplicate pictures, once I put them up on my post, I could not figure out how to erase the extras. I am technologically challenged!
Nice buck RB. I'm fortunate that I will have 2 of my sons to always hunt with.
Good eating my friend.
Stan
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Rusticbob likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusticbob 27/11/22, 02:27 pm

I have two grandsons, but they are only 10 and 7. I hope to help them get their first deer someday. I plan on hanging around for a while
Rusticbob
Rusticbob

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 23/12/22, 10:42 am

Grant Northcott wrote:I'm 65 as of last November and honestly, I think I'm nearing the end of my hunting exploits. I've so far used my modern rifles ranging from a .223 rem up to a .308 win for harvesting whitetail deer. If next year is to be my last big game hunt, I would love to use my .54 caliber Renegade to drop a nice deer. Lewis has injected much hope and excitement into me for this muzzleloading sport with his accuracy exploits!

Well I sure hope you don't give up hunting. I'm 72 with lung issues and I can't climb the hills/mountains like I use to. But I still like to get out there, especially with my Grandsons. So don't give up yet! If you decide to stop and want to sell that Renegade let me know. I have a 45, 50 and would like to add a 54 cal someday.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 25/01/23, 02:18 pm

Grant, how did you make out this year, fall of 2022? If you are like me and have to hunt alone it can be challenging. I have gotten to where I quarter the deer and make several slow trips to get it out. I learned this year, something the old-timers would have known, when using a lantern to butcher it should be elevated rather than sitting on the ground.
I hope things went your way!

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down