WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alloy or pure lead

3 posters

Go down

Alloy or pure lead Empty Alloy or pure lead

Post by Bronko22000 17/02/22, 08:24 am

I'm looking at a mould for both my 45 ACP and should I ever get a 44 BP revolver. The mould is the Lee 90351 which is a .452" 228 gr round nose. My question is do I need a pure lead for the revolver and an alloyed one for the 45 ACP. Or another way to put it - can I shoot a harder bullet out of the BP revolver?
Another option is to cast pure lead then lube the bullets for the revolver and powder coat the ones for the 45 ACP.
Thoughts and advice please.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Alloy or pure lead Empty Re: Alloy or pure lead

Post by Jitterbug 18/02/22, 06:30 am

“Another option is to cast pure lead then lube the bullets for the revolver and powder coat the ones for the 45 ACP.”

I think you’re on the right track, with this idea. I would DEFINITELY recommend pure lead for the revolver.

If you’re loading “on the revolver” vs. using a separate cylinder loading tool, you can potentially bend the loading lever!  What a Face

Using overly large balls, or anything harder than pure lead, tends to increase this possibility.

***There have been some reports of folks bending the loading levers on their revolvers, even with the Ruger Old Army.*** I suspect that the lead must have been way too hard, as well as possibly oversized balls.

The ROA revolvers are discontinued, and parts like the loading lever are scarce!

Jitterbug

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunpa 13/04/22, 10:51 am

Pure lead and 454 balls in mine. You want a snug fit and 451 or 452 conicals should work. I'd always go bigger on balls than conicals.

Gunpa

deerstalkert likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down