WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my whatzit build

4 posters

Go down

my whatzit build Empty my whatzit build

Post by deerstalkert 19/02/22, 07:26 pm

traded a TC Hawken 50 to a new to muzzle loading fella for an assortment of parts.
included were a .32cal barrel, 2 flintlock locks, a stock that was partially uh, well actually totally screwed up except for the barrel inlet. also there was a blade trigger, a trigger guard and nose cap. also were two under ribs each 30 inches long! Score!
at least the barrel hadn't been drilled for the vent, and the locks were complete. one a early Ketland and the other a early pedersoli marked Ashmore warranted imported and marked inside by Dixie gun works.
the barrel is marked on top R. Nesbit 1983 and is 13/16 x 32 straight.
the stock when i got it had been started out to be a Hawken style. it had a cheek piece that stuck out 1 1/2 inches on the right and ran from 1 inch forward of the butt plate to almost even with the back of the tang.
first thing i did was get my 2inch wide by 14 inch long hoof rasp and reduced the butt thickness about 2 1/2 inches!
the lock inlet had been started and fit the Ashmore so i finished it and got the trigger installed.
trigger was set up for a tang screw so i drilled the tang and got it all set up.
the first beaver that had chewed on this stock had put a stamped nose cap on, full length, probably not knowing it could and should have been shortened. damn thing sticks out front like Jimmy Durante's nose.
then the busy beaver drilled the Ram rod hole. actually got it straight. then tried inletting for a entry pipe with a flared tail. broke through the web into the RR channel.
i tried forging a entry pipe to cover the mess but twice broke them so gave up and poured a entry pipe in place.
finally got that done and the wedge plates made and inlet. sanded everything to 220 grit and hit it with aqua fortis. then gave it coat of oil.
that is when i discovered i had completely spaced out on sanding the right side of the butt from the wrist to the plate.
senility is my only excuse! there were rasp marks that with the oil on them looked like the stock had been clawed my whatzit build 20220212
my whatzit build 20220211
by a whole pride of lions. maybe sabre tooth squirrels. it is a squirrel gun after all.
just finished sanding for two days to get the new finish off, remove the scratches and smooth the whole thing out.

deerstalkert

Harleysboss likes this post

Back to top Go down

my whatzit build Empty Re: my whatzit build

Post by Harleysboss 19/02/22, 10:34 pm

Some real nice curl in that chunk of wood. I'm working on an underhammer right now. I'm eventually going to start a thread about it. Love the Aqua Fortis finish. My stocks are curly maple and they will be finished with Aqua Fortis. Keep up the good work my whatzit build 3355125947

Harleysboss

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 20/02/22, 09:06 am

Thanks Harley,
just put another coat of finish on the stock. hung it on the drying rack by the stove. sat down to have a cuppa and the hook gave loose dropping the stock on the toe then onto its side behind the wood stove.
yesterday was my day to vacuum and clean. guess where i didn't clean. now the new coat of oil looks like a dust bunny
back to the drawing board.
i swear this stock is cursed.
just found the poured entry pipe is loose. crap! Mad

deerstalkert

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 20/02/22, 09:54 pm

took a deep breath and finished the Whatzit except for rr pipes and sights.my whatzit build 20220213

deerstalkert

Admin and Muzzleloader hunter like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Harleysboss 20/02/22, 10:13 pm

Lookin mighty fine!

Harleysboss

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20/02/22, 11:55 pm

Harleysboss wrote:Some real nice curl in that chunk of wood. I'm working on an underhammer right now. I'm eventually going to start a thread about it. Love the Aqua Fortis finish. My stocks are curly maple and they will be finished with Aqua Fortis. Keep up the good work my whatzit build 3355125947

I am looking forward to seeing this one my whatzit build 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 20/02/22, 11:56 pm

deerstalkert wrote:took a deep breath and finished the Whatzit except for rr pipes and sights.

NICE looking Rifle!!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 21/02/22, 09:35 am

Harleyboss, you have me thinking now of duing an underhammer. have never had one. have never even shot one. Heck i have never even held one.
i had a Tanegashima Matchlock for a while but it was original and the bore was nonexistent.
I suppose i am going to have to start selling some of these. the BOSS is starting to ask if they are fornicating at night and giving birth every morning!

deerstalkert

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Harleysboss 21/02/22, 10:33 am

I will say that an Underhammer ain’t everyone’s cup of tea. I like them. They’re just a simple straightforward design gun.

Harleysboss

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21/02/22, 10:50 pm

deerstalkert wrote:Harleyboss, you have me thinking now of duing an underhammer. have never had one. have never even shot one. Heck i have never even held one.
i had a Tanegashima Matchlock for a while but it was original and the bore was nonexistent.
I suppose i am going to have to start selling some of these. the BOSS is starting to ask if they are fornicating at night and giving birth every morning!

You gotta have at least 1 under hammer! Very Happy  I see them as a thing of Beauty, They are simple, durable, and just plain Cool looking! No Patented Breech, Funky Fire Channel Etc. They are like an inline, Direct shot ignition my whatzit build 3355125947

This is my 12 Gauge Under Hammer Shotgun with a Nice Gobbler i killed with it last year.
my whatzit build LRNBG5m
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

deerstalkert and Muzzleloader hunter like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by deerstalkert 21/02/22, 10:58 pm

nice! and the Tom too!
i guess a cyber trip to the candy store (muzzleloadingbuilders) is in my future.

deerstalkert

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jims 24/03/22, 08:19 pm

Nicely done.

jims

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down