WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

traditions crockett rifle kit

+5
Bronko22000
188mule
EasternOregon .50cal GPR
Buckskins&BlackPowder
TheMightyQuinn
9 posters

Go down

traditions crockett rifle kit  Empty traditions crockett rifle kit

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 01/05/22, 08:17 am

I pickup up a traditions crockett rifle kit and was wondering what your guys experience was with them. traditions crockett rifle kit  20220411
traditions crockett rifle kit  20220410

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

traditions crockett rifle kit  Empty Re: traditions crockett rifle kit

Post by TheMightyQuinn 01/05/22, 11:08 am

I’ve never built one of the kits but I’ve read enough posts about them to have learned that they aren’t always perfect but in the end people got them put together.
I do own 2 of the Crockett rifles that I’ve picked up used and I love the rifles, they hang nicely and the drop in the stock is perfect for me. I also have .32 Cherokees and a .32 Seneca (aftermarket barrel of some sort?). The Cherokees are difficult for me to shoot because the comb is too high, the Seneca is better but the Crockett is perfect.
TheMightyQuinn
TheMightyQuinn

Cliffdweller, EasternOregon .50cal GPR and Last like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 01/05/22, 11:22 am

the tc rifles don't have enough drop for me either I dropped the barrel in the stock of the crockett I think it will work nice for me now I just need time to work on it lol

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

TheMightyQuinn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 01/05/22, 03:37 pm

they make a great kit! Just go slow and be patience. Power tools are a big no no, so be sure to get some good files, sanding block and inletting chisels.

Admin
Admin

https://www.BS-BP.com

EasternOregon .50cal GPR and harry.combs like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 02/05/22, 02:35 pm

traditions crockett rifle kit  20220510
well it's together. not done just together and everything works now had to do some work on the trigger. still got to play with the some stuff to get a better fit

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 07/05/22, 09:17 am

What metal finish are you going with?

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 07/05/22, 10:09 am

Nice rifles. I always had a hankering for a 32 cal Crockett rifle and bought one several years ago.  I planned on using it for hunting squirrels but I just couldn't get it to shoot good enough for my liking.  I tried so many different charge weights, patches and balls but just couldn't get it to shoot.  Ended up selling it along with the special sized short starter and ramrod ends and balls.
I'd really like to get my hands on a .36 cal.Seneca at a decent price.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

CapnSchep, EasternOregon .50cal GPR and Last like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 07/05/22, 11:15 am

Bronko22000 wrote:Nice rifles. I always had a hankering for a 32 cal Crockett rifle and bought one several years ago.  I planned on using it for hunting squirrels but I just couldn't get it to shoot good enough for my liking.  I tried so many different charge weights, patches and balls but just couldn't get it to shoot.  Ended up selling it along with the special sized short starter and ramrod ends and balls.

Was looking hard at the crockett kit several years ago. Ended up buying a .32 cal seneca with a 32" green mountain barrel. Paid around $500. Well worth it! I use .310 hornady RB .18 patch with wonder lube and 25 grains 3f goex. Puts 3 balls into a couple inches at 50 yards! Bought some maxi balls from track to try 3 foot group at 100 yards.

188mule

EasternOregon .50cal GPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 07/05/22, 11:33 am

EasternOregon .50cal GPR wrote:traditions crockett rifle kit  20220510
well it's together. not done just together and everything works now had to do some work on the trigger. still got to play with the some stuff to get a better fit
Just finished a traditions Kentucky flintlock. In letting was pretty good. Tons of extra wood to be taken away on the outside. Filed the metal parts to fit. All brass needed to be filed and sanded. Rear tang needed to be filed and fit to allow the breech plug to seat against the stock. Nose cap had a 1/16th" gap between wood and brass. So I hammered a 14 gauge ground wire flat and soldered it to the back of the nose cap then filed it flush. Used laurel barrel brown on the barrel, brass black on the brass and linspeed on the wood.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironhead 09/05/22, 07:16 am

I bought a kit some years back. I has to change the front sight as the gun was shooting high. Once I got the sights squared away, that little rifle shot great with the .310 ball, .010 patch over 10 grains of 3f Goex powder. I ended up selling it to finance the purchase of a 45 caliber rifle.
Ironhead
Ironhead

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 09/05/22, 07:43 am

Not going to lie that's what I was hoping to here. I was hoping to make this my small game rifle/varmint control around the farm gun. was hoping to find a good accurate light load for it

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 09/05/22, 07:48 am

Has anyone tried Brownells Oxpho-blue. I was thinking of bluing the rifle and if I didn't like it I would brown it

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 09/05/22, 07:56 am

EasternOregon .50cal GPR wrote:Not going to lie that's what I was hoping to here. I was hoping to make this my small game rifle/varmint control around the farm gun. was hoping to find a good accurate light load for it

Have you looked down the bore? Wondering how it looks? Was surprised at how smooth the bore is in my traditions kit rifle.

I use a lighted arrow nock to light my bores for inspection. Had to file it a bit to fit in my .32.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 09/05/22, 08:04 am

188mule wrote:
EasternOregon .50cal GPR wrote:Not going to lie that's what I was hoping to here. I was hoping to make this my small game rifle/varmint control around the farm gun. was hoping to find a good accurate light load for it

Have you looked down the bore? Wondering how it looks? Was surprised at how smooth the bore is in my traditions kit rifle.

I use a lighted arrow nock to light my bores for inspection. Had to file it a bit to fit in my .32.
 I found a borescope that hooks to my smartphone and it only cost 47 bucks on Amazon. I took a look real quick. I need to clean the bore. it seems that it has a nice thick layer of what looks like coszmoline to protect the bore. that said it still looks alot better the my lyman GPR when I started with that

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 188mule 09/05/22, 08:18 am

Got a link to that bore scope? I assume that's what you were using on your Lyman? Looked to work really well.

188mule

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 09/05/22, 08:27 am

188mule wrote:Got a link to that bore scope? I assume that's what you were using on your Lyman? Looked to work really well.
Teslong ngt100 on Amazon
traditions crockett rifle kit  Screen17

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 09/05/22, 08:28 am

188mule wrote:Got a link to that bore scope? I assume that's what you were using on your Lyman? Looked to work really well.
I was really happy with it for no more than it costs.
the price went up to 55 dollars but I think it is still a good buy

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

188mule likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SharpTexan 10/05/22, 08:11 am

I have the kit. I bought idk 4 months ago. I am going to start it in August when my shop is done. I need it for squirrel season. Reading on other forums about the best accuracy of the rifle. Shooting .319 .320 balls it will shoot tiny groups. I have already bought some fromTrack of the wolf. I want to rust blue it.

SharpTexan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyQuinn 10/05/22, 09:12 am

SharpTexan wrote:I have the kit. I bought idk 4 months ago. I am going to start it in August when my shop is done. I need it for squirrel season. Reading on other forums about the best accuracy of the rifle. Shooting .319 .320 balls it will shoot tiny groups. I have already bought some fromTrack of the wolf. I want to rust blue it.
Are they shooting those with no patch?
TheMightyQuinn
TheMightyQuinn

Back to top Go down

Post by SharpTexan 10/05/22, 01:34 pm

I don't see how you could patch it. But idk. I got it from the forum The high road. It's in the blackpowder area just search: What accuracy should I expect in a tradions Crockett. 32. He states "0" buckshot it is 320-323 dia.

SharpTexan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMightyQuinn 10/05/22, 05:24 pm

My Lee mold is either.310 or .311 and my T/C molds are .315. I would think you’d have to hit a .320 ball with a mallet to start it but maybe not?
TheMightyQuinn
TheMightyQuinn

Back to top Go down

Post by SharpTexan 10/05/22, 06:28 pm

I say shoot it like you have it. Try different patches, then before you buy any new molds try some balls from track of the wolf. It would be less frustrating besides every gun shoots different. You just got to find what it likes.

SharpTexan

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 23/05/22, 03:47 pm

Bronko22000 wrote:Nice rifles. I always had a hankering for a 32 cal Crockett rifle and bought one several years ago.  I planned on using it for hunting squirrels but I just couldn't get it to shoot good enough for my liking.  I tried so many different charge weights, patches and balls but just couldn't get it to shoot.  Ended up selling it along with the special sized short starter and ramrod ends and balls.

Try lapping the bore and see if that don't get it to shoot accurately.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Last 01/12/22, 02:54 pm

I got one shot good right out of box, no problem squirrel hunting with it . Shooting 10 and 15 gr. Goex 2f
Last
Last

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down