WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol

4 posters

Go down

Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol Empty Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol

Post by Dasblanc 26/09/22, 11:24 am

Just curious how it performs I would be using it for hunting bear and elk with heavy conicals. I see them advertised around 375.00 I'm sure tempted.

Dasblanc

harry.combs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol Empty Re: Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol

Post by harry.combs 12/10/22, 07:41 pm

I shoot that pistol during deer season. It's very accurate and got plenty of power to 50 yards. I use a 2x Burris scope, 250 grain TC Shockwave, Blackhorn 209 powder. It knocks them for a loop!

harry.combs

Dasblanc and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol Empty Re: Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol

Post by Dasblanc 13/10/22, 09:28 pm

Nice to hear someone else here shoots black powder handguns. I see them going for 348.00 now so I'm ordering one now.

Dasblanc

harry.combs likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by harry.combs 14/10/22, 07:11 am

Dasblanc just a warning when loading that MZ handgun for deer. Make sure you use both hands while shooting. Otherwise, it will be flying around out of control.

harry.combs

Back to top Go down

Post by squattingdog 14/10/22, 08:13 am

Dasblanc wrote:Nice to hear someone else here shoots black powder handguns. I see them going for 348.00 now so I'm ordering one now.
I shoot the Uberti Replica Colt 1847 Walker .44. Fun shooter.
squattingdog
squattingdog

https://www.mountaingnome.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 14/10/22, 11:28 am

harry.combs wrote: Dasblanc just a warning when loading that MZ handgun for deer. Make sure you use both hands while shooting. Otherwise, it will be flying around out of control.
Ha ha ha been there done that. I have a Traditions Buckhunter pro 14" and when I load it with 80gr T7 with a 400gr great plains bullet the finger under the trigger guard always gets bloody.

Dasblanc

harry.combs and squattingdog like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 19/10/22, 11:06 am

Got the pistol in the mail yesterday and only a bit of fit/finish issue yo deal with at the rear of forend the sides were splayed out away from the frame. The hinge pin was the culprit on the right side but on the left the plastic flap overlapped the frame recess so sanding was required also use if a heat gun to reset the memory of the plastic/nylon flaps took care of the problem. Normally tapping the forend mount forward an 1/8th inch would have worked except the machining was done too far back so tapping the mount forward wasn't  an option.Anyone here shoot the cva optima pistol 16661910

Dasblanc

Dasblanc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironhead 22/10/22, 06:20 pm

I love my pistol. Hornady 240 grain XTPs with the green sabot. 80 grains by volume of Blackhorn 209 with a Federal 209A primer.
I bought the adapter from Farrow tech. And have mounted a AR style butt stock.
Now it's a little carbine.
Great treestand gun
Ironhead
Ironhead

squattingdog likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 23/10/22, 12:22 am

Hey iron head you better post a pic of that carbine cuz pistols/carbines kinda get me me all messed up in the head ya know it's that real wide gray line in the sand that gets me all excitedI. I have a 35 whellen AI at 16 3/8" encore pistol or rifle.Now I've spent all day casting 400gr +- conicals for the new optima pistol I may go up to the mountains tomorrow to test fire for Elk season come nov 23.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironhead 23/10/22, 06:31 am

Here's my carbineAnyone here shoot the cva optima pistol 20220111
Ironhead
Ironhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironhead 23/10/22, 10:15 am

Forgot to mention my scope.
It's an older model Burris Timberline, 4x20 MM. Heavy duplex reticle.
Ironhead
Ironhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Dasblanc 24/10/22, 09:10 am

That looks cool where did you find the adapter type grip.

Dasblanc

Back to top Go down

Post by Ironhead 24/10/22, 11:24 am

I got the adapter from a company called FarrowTech
They sold it for the CVA Scout centerfire pistol but it fits the CVA Optima Pistol too.
They have two different styles to choose from and retail for about 90 bucks or so.
You can find them online.
Ironhead
Ironhead

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down