WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies

+2
Admin
54renegade
6 posters

Go down

54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies Empty 54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies

Post by 54renegade 01/12/21, 02:08 pm

Hey Idaho Lewis and forum members.
Montana recently adopted a late season traditional muzzleloader season for general deer and elk which prompted me to get into muzzleloading.
I picked up a TC Renegade Hunter and also the set trigger model.
Looking for a supply list to pick up for a beginner as well as load advice.
I saw Idaho Lewis' over-powder patch round ball video and liked it.
I'm wanting a simple, accurate load to take deer and elk at ethical range.

Thanks much

Will
Western MT

54renegade

Admin and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies Empty Re: 54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies

Post by Admin 01/12/21, 08:28 pm

It is really hard to say exactly what your rifle will shoot best, But I would say a Good Safe bet to Start with would be a .530 Roundball, and get some .015 and some .018 Patches. If you can get Swiss 2F Powder i would definitely get a can of it, I shoot Swiss 2F Blackpowder and absolutely swear by the Stuff. As for the Substitute powders such as Pyrodex and Triple Seven, I would go with Triple Seven 3F first & Pyrodex P Last. I would start at 80 Grains of Powder, Then try a Group of 70 Grains and then 90 Grains, see what Groups the Best? I have found 80 Grains of Swiss 2F to be the Ticket in just about everything i Shoot 54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies 3355125947

If you end up going with Substitute Powders, You need to know your Nipple Hole size? You need about .032-.033 to get good Reliable Ignition, You don’t want to guess here! Be precise with this! These Nipple Flash Holes are tiny for good Reason, There is a TON of Pressure behind the Nipple, a REALLY Large Flash Hole is DANGEROUS!!! I use precision pin gauges to check flash hole size
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

George_Kelley, 54renegade and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies Empty Re: 54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies

Post by 54renegade 01/12/21, 10:12 pm

Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I'll get cracking on this - I have an owners manual on the way from TC and I'll also get a ball starter, powder measurer, etc..any recommendations on what brands and websites to use?

54renegade

Ivan Wagurak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/12/21, 10:42 pm

54renegade wrote:Wow, thank you for the quick reply. I'll get cracking on this - I have an owners manual on the way from TC and I'll also get a ball starter, powder measurer, etc..any recommendations on what brands and websites to use?

There are a few good ones out there, Track of the Wolf is one, I personally use Buffalo Arms Co. I live close by them, They have about everything you could need 54 Caliber TC Renegade Elk and Deer loads, supplies 3355125947

Here is a link to Track of the Wolf
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Index.aspx

And here is a Link to BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.)
https://www.buffaloarms.com/
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

54renegade and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 01:59 am

Ballistol is a really good product for firearms, especially if you are in wet weather as it is water soluble. Just spray onto your rifle and wipe it down at the end of the day. It protects the metal, the wood, and your leather too.

https://ballistol.com/
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by 54renegade 02/12/21, 04:15 pm

What should I get for cleaning my muzzleloader?

54renegade

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 05:19 pm

54renegade wrote:What should I get for cleaning my muzzleloader?

A range rod, which is longer than your ramrod and it has a handle.

A cleaning jag. This is a must have.

Hot soapy water is best for cleaning at the end of the day when you get home. I like Ballistol for the range, it is also good for lubricating the firearms after cleaning.

You will need cotton rags and a sharp knife for cutting patches.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 11:28 pm

It is also a good idea to have a patch worm, a ball puller, a nipple wrench, and a vent pick in your shooting box too. I like an old toothbrush for cleaning the threads of the nipple. You will want some kind of grease for the threads when you reattach the nipple. T/C Bore Butter is good for that, I sometimes still use it for lubricating the bore.

George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 16/01/22, 06:43 am

Don’t forget to have an extra nipple or 2 on hand too. I found out the hard way 2 years ago when my charge wouldn’t go off and I pulled the nipple out and because I couldn’t feel my fingers the nipple dropped in to a foot of snow…… Crying or Very sad and no extra nipple on hand
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 16/01/22, 07:53 am

See the attached post from Idaholewis for Breech Plug grease. You can order it via Cabelas's if you can't find it locally.

https://idaholewis.forumotion.com/t137-breechplug-nipple-grease-best-stuff-i-have-ever-used
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Admin and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 16/01/22, 02:22 pm

Since you are starting out, you really need the printed catalog from Dixie Gun Works. They have a chapter in back of the book with all kinds of useful information on blackpowder and muzzleloading.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Savage50s 22/01/22, 02:39 pm

If I may I use window wash cleaner to clean barrel at range then blessoil at home and on locks I've use transmission fluid for oiling insides of transmission don't rust 40 years of this hammer goes every time

Savage50s

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down