WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullet mold not filling out

+3
Admin
HC
Muzzlestuffer
7 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Bullet mold not filling out - Page 4 Empty Re: Bullet mold not filling out

Post by Muzzlestuffer 15/02/22, 08:03 am

Frosting is not always a bad thing if you have to get the mold to fill out imo

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15/02/22, 08:26 am

Bronko22000 wrote:Lewis I see you like casting right around 800*!  That really surprises me.  When I'm at 750* I start getting frosted bullets. Is this from the alloy being too hot or the mold?
I normally run at 700* to prevent this. Is there a temp where the frosting goes away or maybe I also have a bad thermometer!
I see Lyman makes a digital one with a thermocouple "wand" you dip into the lead. The one I have clips to the side of my pot.

You probably need a new Thermometer. Something to remember, These Lead thermometers are NOT Intended for Constant use. I wish i had a dollar for every Lead thermometer that has been Ruined by Casters leaving them in the Lead Pot. They are designed to Check the Temperature and then Remove them.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 15/02/22, 08:35 am

Idaholewis wrote:
Bronko22000 wrote:Lewis I see you like casting right around 800*!  That really surprises me.  When I'm at 750* I start getting frosted bullets. Is this from the alloy being too hot or the mold?
I normally run at 700* to prevent this. Is there a temp where the frosting goes away or maybe I also have a bad thermometer!
I see Lyman makes a digital one with a thermocouple "wand" you dip into the lead. The one I have clips to the side of my pot.

You probably need a new Thermometer. Something to remember, These Lead thermometers are NOT Intended for Constant use. I wish i had a dollar for every Lead thermometer that has been Ruined by Casters leaving them in the Lead Pot. They are designed to Check the Temperature and then Remove them.
I agree but that's how I monitor my temperature I am planning on getting a digital temp regulator set up to maintain constant temp so far I've been using mine for about 5 years still works but not sure if it's dead nuts or not ? My only indication is correct bullet weight and getting mold to fill out properly especially on those BIG suckers !

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 15/02/22, 08:50 am

There is an infrared (not for human) thermometer on Amazon that sell for about $20 and has a review rating of 9.6 based on over 1000 reviews. The temp range is -58* to 1022* F. I'm thinking of getting it.
I didn't know my other one was to be used then removed. Why in the world would they put a clip on it if it wasn't for continued use??
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Muzzlestuffer likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 15/02/22, 09:11 am

Bronko22000 wrote:There is an infrared (not for human) thermometer on Amazon that sell for about $20 and has a review rating of 9.6 based on over 1000 reviews.  The temp range is -58* to 1022* F.  I'm thinking of getting it.  
I didn't know my other one was to be used then removed.  Why in the world would they put a clip on it if it wasn't for continued use??
You should buy two one for me one for you ! Lol

Muzzlestuffer

Muzzlestuffer and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzzlestuffer 10/12/23, 07:51 am

Idaho are you still around I sent you a few private messages and never heard back unless your trying to tell me something ? lol

Muzzlestuffer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4