WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How tight should the patch and ball be?

+3
Admin
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Shorty
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How tight should the patch and ball be? Empty How tight should the patch and ball be?

Post by Shorty 14/01/22, 09:54 am

Got the smoker out after a 20 year run with the inlines. I have a .54 cal. Lyman trade rifle, watching Idaholewis and others got my thirst up for more smoke. My question is,  how tight to patch the ball. I have .530 balls and .018 pillow ticking. It loads sorta easy with a quit hit on short bullet starter, then easily pushes down bore to powder. I am going to joan fabrics with my calipers today. I am going to try to buy 100% cotton pieces at .022 and .024 to try. Am i on the right road? My gun shot pretty good groups at 50 yds. With the .018 but i want  a better group. Thanks shorty..

Shorty

Back to top Go down

How tight should the patch and ball be? Empty Re: How tight should the patch and ball be?

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 14/01/22, 10:18 am

Whats more important, is what the recovered patch looks like. Normally, if its load easily, the patch will be cut, burnt, or blown out. I like a very snug load, but one that i can reload on multiple times without ever swabbing the bore. I'd go to .020" and give that a try before using the thicker .022-.024" patching. Look for those patches on the ground, they'll tell you if theres a problem.
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Admin
Admin

https://www.BS-BP.com

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

How tight should the patch and ball be? Empty Re: How tight should the patch and ball be?

Post by Shorty 14/01/22, 01:05 pm

Found a couple, there was fraying around the edge. That was all. Forgot to take pics. Ty

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 14/01/22, 06:07 pm

Got the pic, found 3 or 4, they all look like this..How tight should the patch and ball be? 20220114

Shorty

Maxjon, MR-FLOPPY-SOCKS and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 14/01/22, 06:12 pm

I certainly respect Mr. IDAHOLEWIS, for all the valuable work he has shown us. But i live in a noncomputer world, my wish. The damn smart phone kickes my but. BUT this sight is very, very difficult for us old guys to maneuver around in. Is there any secret or am i just to old fashion? Am i the only one who is having this trouble?

Shorty

Ivan Wagurak and Last like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Buckskins&BlackPowder 14/01/22, 06:18 pm

Looks good to me. Never hurts to try a tighter patch though.

No trouble moving around on the site. Whats the problem?
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Buckskins&BlackPowder
Admin
Admin

https://www.BS-BP.com

Ivan Wagurak and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 15/01/22, 05:37 pm

Trying to oost pics. Gave me 3 different options. Then wants me to join a place to store my pics. Do not need that. I guess i am not familiar with site and need to spend more time just maneuvering on it. Ty

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15/01/22, 06:56 pm

Patches look Great Shorty How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947 Do you live anywhere near a Joann’s Fabric store? If so, Give their Drill Material a Try, I swear by the Stuff! It is pretty much all i use

This is the one, I took this picture of it recently when i picked up another Yard of it. Here is a Link to it as well, i see it’s on Sale right now to boot How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947

https://www.joann.com/jo-ann-stores-unbleached-drill-fabric/683532.html

How tight should the patch and ball be? 6IRlRtX
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Ivan Wagurak, 188mule and Shorty like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15/01/22, 06:58 pm

That Drill Material measures .020 Thick, It is Some AWESOME Patch Material How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947

How tight should the patch and ball be? 66GYOuo

Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 15/01/22, 07:01 pm

If you end getting some of that Material, I advise you to Wash and Dry it one time, No soap, Just a Normal Wash cycle without Soap and simply hang it up to Dry
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 16/01/22, 12:23 pm

Mr.idaholewis, thank you for the reply, i did actually buy some of that same material the other day. Took calipers and went in, great place to shop.  Having wife wash as we speak. Will let you  know the results this week, thank you...

Shorty

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 17/01/22, 03:49 am

Shorty wrote:Mr.idaholewis, thank you for the reply, i did actually buy some of that same material the other day. Took calipers and went in, great place to shop.  Having wife wash as we speak. Will let you  know the results this week, thank you...

I am looking forward to your Results Shorty. Aim small, miss small Very Happy  and have fun How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 21/01/22, 05:23 pm

I agree with Lewis and Jon. those patches look great to me. I like my PRB tightness to be where I have to give it a fairly smart smack with the short starter then a good push with the longer end of the starter. By then the patch/ball should be into the rifling and a firm even push down to the charge. You don't want to be banging the ball down the bore. Just a solid firm push. You get your patches too thick and you may have trouble getting the ball seated.
Like Jon said a fairly tight patch will also reduce the fouling in the bore.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 21/01/22, 05:52 pm

Got to shoot the drill material. It loaded fine but the snow, wind, and cold  made it unbearable to shoot for groups. Having a new problem of cutting the patches. I see that everyone is using a modified hole saw. Looks slick to me. What size hole saw with the .54 cal. Would you use, and then can i use my hand drill? As i never bought a drill press.  Ty all..

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 21/01/22, 08:36 pm

Seems to me a hole saw would rip the material unless the edge was more like a knife edge than a saw blade. If you want to cut at the muzzle just cut the material in 1.25" (or there abouts) strips. Or you can cut the material in 1.25" squares.
You'll waste less material cutting it into squares. The patches don't need to be round.
I use a fabric roller type cutter and board you can buy at Walmart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-Fabric-Cutting-Set-2-Piece-Rotary-Cutter-and-Cutting-Mat/17354461

Just watch your fingers. that blade on the roller is super super sharp.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 21/01/22, 09:48 pm

Lewis has a good post of him making one of the hole saws into a fine cutter. He grinds the teeth off, rotates it with a drill and uses a file on the outside at a bevel to create a cutter. Finishes with sandpaper. What i want to know is the size cutter i need for the .54 cal. Ty..

Shorty

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21/01/22, 09:55 pm

These How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947 They are super easy to make, and you can cut a PILE of Patches in a Hurry, I use my little benchtop Drill press.

How tight should the patch and ball be? Q8y9Acm
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 21/01/22, 09:56 pm

Shorty wrote:Lewis has a good post of him making one of the hole saws into a fine cutter. He grinds the teeth off, rotates it with a drill and uses a file on the outside at a bevel to create a cutter. Finishes with sandpaper. What i want to know is the size cutter i need for the .54 cal. Ty..

The 1-1/4” is perfect for .54 Cal How tight should the patch and ball be? 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Shorty and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 22/01/22, 05:04 am

Thank you Lewis, that is what i have been waiting to hear. Will get one today. Found the german number 1075 caps, and black powder at the back creek gun shop, nice people..good prices..ty

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 22/01/22, 05:10 am

P.s. love your videos lewis, they are spot on and very informative. We are following what you put down. I quit facebook a couple years ago because i am for a free vioce in a free country. Srew u tube for what they have done to you also, their are other sites that will welcome you. Thanks again for all your contributions...

Shorty

Back to top Go down

Post by Roblynch 24/01/22, 06:41 am

Lewis are you using the 1 inch patch for 50 caliber?

Thanks Rob
Roblynch
Roblynch

Back to top Go down

Post by Shorty 24/01/22, 10:56 am

Made my patch cutter yesterday, just as Lewis makes his. Folded drill material up so i did not have to drill so many holes. I used an old plastic cutting board and my cordless drill. Wow, this is definitely the way to go, made 450 patches in about 15 minutes, every hole you drill got 8 patches.  Great idea..ty

Shorty

Roblynch likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 24/01/22, 04:55 pm

Yes I think I am also going to do that. I got to thinking when I said you get more material waste making round patches but that wasn't accurate. When you shoot with square patches the corners are not used so in either way you'll use the same amount of material. Us old guys know what I'm talking about when I say sometimes my brain just locks up!
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 25/01/22, 09:15 am

I washed my drill material the other day (wow does that stuff shrink). Going to Ace Hardware today and picking up a 1.25" hole saw and file and sandpaper (I don't have many tools here and my winter nest) and make my patches also.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Shorty likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 26/01/22, 01:43 pm

Well I started with a 1.25" hole saw and got it all ground down and an edge put on it. But when I cut the patches they came out at 1.125". I didn't account for the interior diameter. These are pretty close to being too small for my .58 cal. (by my calculations a 1.125" patch will give me less than 1/4" extra. That's not much on each side of the ball.) I may have to go with a 1.5" hole saw.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

EasternOregon .50cal GPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next