WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASA lube question

4 posters

Go down

NASA lube question Empty NASA lube question

Post by Bronko22000 29/03/22, 05:20 pm

OK Lewis this one is directed at you. How much Sthil synthetic 2 cycle oil do you add to a 1 lb block of NASA lube to make it I guess semi-hard? Something about the same hardness/texture of Crisco that I can apply with my fingers or pan lube.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

NASA lube question Empty Re: NASA lube question

Post by Harleysboss 29/03/22, 09:28 pm

If it helps at all, I added 1 of the 2.6oz bottles to a pound of the NASA lube. It made it softer but not as soft as Crisco. I use it both ways, hand applied/rubbed into the grooves and pan lubing.

Harleysboss

Admin, HC and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30/03/22, 10:19 am

Bronko22000 wrote:OK Lewis this one is directed at you.  How much Sthil synthetic 2 cycle oil do you add to a 1 lb block of NASA lube to make it I guess semi-hard?  Something about the same hardness/texture of Crisco that I can apply with my fingers or pan lube.

Try one of the little Bottles first and test, i use 2 Of the small 2.6 Fluid ounce bottles to 1 pound of NASA, Thinner Lube ALWAYS Wins for me. It’s much messier than the Thicker Lube, and it don’t work worth a Darn for Pan Lubing, But my thinner Lube has always Outshot the Thicker stuff the way it comes. Accuracy is the most important thing to me, i don’t mind the thinner, messier Lube NASA lube question 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Magnum, HC, LR_Smoker and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 30/03/22, 01:09 pm

I would do what Lew recommended by using 1 bottle to see how you like it. You can add half a bottle at a time to get the softness you are looking for. It's kinda like sizing bullets or ordering a new mold. You can size the bullets smaller, you can't make them bigger. Well, I guess you can if you want to roll them between two files? NASA lube question 1986740415
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Admin, Magnum, HC and Bronko22000 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 06/04/22, 10:05 am

OK but what about if you make it thin and keep the rifle charged for a while - like a week or so during hunting season?  Will the lube contaminate the powder or will a felt wad protect the powder from the lube?
Another question: will any synthetic 2 cycle oil work or is the Stihl a special blend?
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

Back to top Go down

Post by Harleysboss 06/04/22, 01:07 pm

I’m thinking that you should stick to the Stihl brand (tried and true). As far as it contamination of your powder, that’s something I would test well ahead of your hunt. Make up your lube to your desired consistency, treat a bullet then load up your rifle. Take her out a week later and see if she goes BOOM. I’M guessing that you won’t make it so thin that it migrates off your bullet though.

Harleysboss

Bronko22000 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 06/04/22, 02:31 pm

Being the lube will only be in the interior bands on the bullet, I don't think it would be possible to contaminate the powder?
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Bronko22000 06/04/22, 02:42 pm

You guys are probably right. Especially if its a tight fitting bullet. But possibly shooting a slip fit it could seep down into the powder. A felt wad would soak up any minor seeping I'm sure.
And Ed you know how our early season is. One day you'll be wearing a heavy coat and the next you could be in shirt sleeves.
Bronko22000
Bronko22000

HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 06/04/22, 03:35 pm

Clem, you are right about the felt wad soaking up any lube that might drip down although I think it's highly unlikely it would happen.

You are so right on how the weather can change overnight.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

HC likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down