WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

+6
Ivan Wagurak
EdMehlig
Harleysboss
George_Kelley
Bushfire
Admin
10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt Empty .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

Post by Admin 29/11/21, 07:06 pm

I ran out this evening for a Quick Bullet Test in 1 of my Green Mountain LRH .54 Cals, Setup with a 3/32 Marbles Green Fiber Optic bead I purchased from BACO (Buffalo Arms Co.) I shot my Accurate Molds #54-510M (I made a few changes to it from the Catalog) I lubed the Bullets with my Modified Bullshop NASA Lube, Powder Charge was 85 Grains by Weight of Swiss 2F, And my Home Cut 1/8 Wool Felt Wads, Punched with a 9/16” Osborne Arch Punch (IDEAL for .54 Cal .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947 )

In short, The Bullet shot well .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947 I believe my 485 “i” Bullet Shot a little better than this, but it’s really close, either Bullet is a Winner .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947

Here is the Video, I smacked the Gong at the End, Gong would be about 170-180 Yards

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt FRQIKqO
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt ANUA8KY
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt K0V5dRs

3 Shots, 1-1/2 inches
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt PtZMFvw
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Bushfire, BrantSFGDS, George_Kelley, John Willoughby, Tank, Robwheeler, LR_Smoker and 1863johnhunt like this post

Back to top Go down

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt Empty Re: .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

Post by Bushfire 29/11/21, 07:11 pm

Great stuff mate, I reckon those elk are in trouble! Would you expect pass thrus at the ranges you'll be shooting? 

I've been wondering whether it would be worthwhile cutting out a section on the top of my lee shaver to let more light in.
Bushfire
Bushfire

Back to top Go down

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt Empty Re: .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

Post by George_Kelley 29/11/21, 07:15 pm

Will there be a hunting video? Smile
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29/11/21, 08:39 pm

Bushfire wrote:Great stuff mate, I reckon those elk are in trouble! Would you expect pass thrus at the ranges you'll be shooting? 

I've been wondering whether it would be worthwhile cutting out a section on the top of my lee shaver to let more light in.

I don’t expect Pass throughs on a Large Cow Elk with my PURE Lead Bullets, though it is Possible

I have no doubt that Cutting a Window in the Top of a Globe sight would Help some with Light, I am not sure how much it would help? The biggest Problem is the Tunnel, They block X Amount, and in low light they are tough to see through, at least for me. I have one of my Stainless GM LRH 50 Cals Setup for this Same Hunt, in case the Weather is nasty, These Stainless Barrels are the Cats MEOW In Fowl Weather .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947 That Said, The Stainless Rig has one of my 17AHB Globe Front Sights on it, and that makes me nervous in Low light, I just have to go with it and hope for the Best .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 29/11/21, 08:46 pm

George_Kelley wrote:Will there be a hunting video? Smile

I would love to, But these Elk are so far and few between here these Day’s, and this Country is so Brushy that it would be tough to get Video Footage, I will be lucky to even See an Elk, We just don’t have them like we use to, Most of what we have are down here in the Lowlands on Farm Land where they are protected, Most of these Elk live down here year around nowadays, They know what awaits them in the Mountains, WOLVES
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Bad Karma and IdahoPRB like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 29/11/21, 10:56 pm

I very much suspect that the "environmentalists" introduced wolves because they want to eliminate hunting as a game management tool.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 30/11/21, 10:40 am

George_Kelley wrote: I very much suspect that the "environmentalists" introduced wolves because they want to eliminate hunting as a game management tool.

A LOT of people feel that way, it wouldn’t surprise me a bit, It was sure a HORRIBLE thing to do
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Bad Karma and Last like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Harleysboss 01/12/21, 10:22 am

That 54-510M is going to be a game control tool if you get the opportunity. :07:

Harleysboss

Back to top Go down

Post by EdMehlig 01/12/21, 12:06 pm

Lew, I don't know why you would want to shoot that Punishing large 54 caliber bullet when you know your 45-340I or your 45-415I would give you the same results. (One dead Cow Elk). .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 1f602

You may find removing your aperture sight and just using it as a Ghost Sight would work out better for you. I found it made it easier to get on target especially when in the woods. Plus it would give you a wider field of view.
EdMehlig
EdMehlig

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 01/12/21, 04:53 pm

All I have for my tc new englander is prb’s, I had to take and file a little on the original front sight because I couldn’t see it in low light , so I may just replace the factory sights when there is more parts available, but I need to get it sighted in with something so prb it is and 80 grains of 2f goex by weight it is for now I was hoping to use mine for muzzle loading season here in maine but it’s already started so I’ll just have to use my in-line this time, Good shooting as always Lewis (I’ll keep the spray bottle of alcohol handy too 😉) I forgot to mention the n/e is a 54 cal with a 1:48”,
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/12/21, 08:35 pm

EdMehlig wrote:Lew, I don't know why you would want to shoot that Punishing large 54 caliber bullet when you know your 45-340I or your 45-415I would give you the same results.  (One dead Cow Elk).  .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 1f602

You may find removing your aperture sight and just using it as a Ghost Sight would work out better for you.  I found it made it easier to get on target especially when in the woods.  Plus it would give you a wider field of view.

The problem here is our .45s are Not legal for Elk, Believe me If i could use my .45s for Elk i would .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947 This is one of them Laws that makes no sense? No doubt the reason is due to Patched Roundball, a .45 Roundball is only 130 Grains, Which is Awful lightweight for Critters the size & toughness of Elk. NO doubt a .45 PRB would be DEADLY on an Elk with proper Shot Placement, they just don’t leave much, to any room for error
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

IdahoPRB likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 01/12/21, 08:38 pm

Harleysboss wrote:That 54-510M is going to be a game control tool if you get the opportunity. :07:

The toughest part of this is gonna be finding an Elk, We just don’t have them like we use to, I’m gonna give it a Serious go! It opens in the Morning .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Bad Karma likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 01:51 am

Ivan Wagurak wrote:All I have for my tc new englander is prb’s, I had to take and file a little on the original front sight because I couldn’t see it in low light , so I may just replace the factory sights when there is more parts available, but I need to get it sighted in with something so prb it is and 80 grains of 2f goex by weight it is for now I was hoping to use mine for muzzle loading season here in Maine but it’s already started so I’ll just have to use my in-line this time, Good shooting as always Lewis (I’ll keep the spray bottle of alcohol handy too 😉) I forgot to mention the n/e is a 54 cal with a 1:48”,

A .54 patched ball with 80gr of FFG will kill an elk just fine. But you will want to get in some range time before you use that on a hunt that has already started.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/12/21, 04:24 am

Definitely plan on getting range time for sure. I don’t like feeling unprepared and wishing I had shot more prior to the season, I’m planning on using it next year so I have time to be ready and I’ll have time to order powder in advance. Does anyone know of a good bullet mold for the 54, it’s a 1:48” and i f I remember right it’s .535” bore by .545” groove, and before I forget again I want to replace both of sights but I cant seam to locate any place that has them in stock any ideas?? Thanks
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 09:38 am

Consider getting a .530 ball mold from Lee.

They're aluminum, so they don't rust. But you gotta read the instructions, they need to be cleaned and you gotta smoke the mold cavities with a kitchen match as the carbon is a release agent.

As for the conicals, that is a question for Idaho Lewis.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/12/21, 09:47 am

Its kind of funny I actually have the lee real 54 380gr mold just haven’t used it due to the numerous complains about poor accuracy
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 10:02 am

Ivan Wagurak wrote:Its kind of funny I actually have the lee real 54 380gr mold just haven’t used it due to the numerous complains about poor accuracy

I would experiment to see what happens. Two rifles of the same make and model, same caliber, might like two different loads.

I would also try the T/C Maxi-Balls, but I very much think the best accuracy will be the paper patched heavy conicals that Idaho Lewis is using.

BTW, try the liquid alox on the REAL bullets as well as borebutter and other lubricants to see what works best in your rifle. Also try the felt wads over the powder. Might also try a cardboard wad with a grease cookie.
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/12/21, 03:04 pm

I’ll try that I’m supposed to be going out to the range Sunday to play I’ll cast up a bunch and see what make them tick, I’ll report the results with them good bad or otherwise, thanks
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin and George_Kelley like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by tx_basser 02/12/21, 06:52 pm

Lewis what is rhe low down on your aperture/disc? Size, Make, etc. I switched over to the same TC sight on my Hawken after watching your vids but can't seem to locate a similar disc that looks like your. I have a small one that came with the sight 1/2 diameter maybe .91/.92 hole.

tx_basser

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 02/12/21, 10:04 pm

tx_basser wrote:Lewis what is rhe low down on your aperture/disc? Size, Make, etc.  I switched over to the same TC sight on my Hawken after watching your vids but can't seem to locate a similar disc that looks like your.  I have a small one that came with the sight 1/2 diameter maybe .91/.92 hole.

The Aperture i use is a 1” inch Williams Target, they have a .050 Hole, I like the larger Diameter Aperture, They help me with peripheral distraction

This is the one, and where i have bought mine (i see they don’t have them in stock right now)
https://www.buffaloarms.com/williams-regular-eye-cup-1-di-wgs49891.html
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

George_Kelley likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by George_Kelley 02/12/21, 11:58 pm

Ivan Wagurak wrote:I’ll try that I’m supposed to be going out to the range Sunday to play I’ll cast up a bunch and see what make them tick, I’ll report the results with them good bad or otherwise, thanks

Give us a detailed range report. .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947
George_Kelley
George_Kelley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 04/12/21, 03:43 pm

Say,  what’s a good cold temp patch lube peanut oil or Crisco or both, I’m going to the range first thing tomorrow morning and it’s going to be below freezing
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 05/12/21, 02:51 pm

Update time! Went to the range this afternoon started back at the 50 yard mark with the prb’s and the usual charge of 2f goex. Didn’t turn out the way I had hoped. I’m actually disappointed. Best group I could get was minute of pie plate. Used .020” preluded patches 80 grains by weight of goex 2f .530” swagged rb’s and cleaned between shots, it wouldn’t hold a group to save my life, patches recovered looked good, so I had a few .542” bullets  I pored on hand and figured what do I have to lose, here’s where I got optimistic the group was about 1” maybe 1-1/2”  but this is at 50 yards so I went to the 100 yard target. I did manage to get 2 consecutive shots dead center and about 3” high with in 1/2” of each other, other wise 8 high by 8 wide, the factory sights are a big contributor to the inaccuracies, the charge for the bullets went from 80 to 90 grains, and I used a lubed felt over powder wad, the gun bled from 85-90 but I need to get new sights before using it for hunting I think. It’s a t/c new-englander 54 cal 1:48” twist .535 bore .547” groove (i slugged it). But at 100 yards the front sight just about blocks the whole 13” target the bullet mold was a lee 540-415 that I had modified so it was no longer a minie, I machined the core pin down for a flat base and obviously the weight went from 415gr up to 485 +-1 gr (everything above or below was rejected) as far as bullet lube goes it was what ever I had on hand, probably bb, (having a hard time getting bees wax)
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin, George_Kelley and Kurt like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 05/12/21, 05:35 pm

Ivan Wagurak wrote:Update time! Went to the range this afternoon started back at the 50 yard mark with the prb’s and the usual charge of 2f goex. Didn’t turn out the way I had hoped. I’m actually disappointed. Best group I could get was minute of pie plate. Used .020” preluded patches 80 grains by weight of goex 2f .530” swagged rb’s and cleaned between shots, it wouldn’t hold a group to save my life, patches recovered looked good, so I had a few .542” bullets  I pored on hand and figured what do I have to lose, here’s where I got optimistic the group was about 1” maybe 1-1/2”  but this is at 50 yards so I went to the 100 yard target. I did manage to get 2 consecutive shots dead center and about 3” high with in 1/2” of each other, other wise 8 high by 8 wide, the factory sights are a big contributor to the inaccuracies, the charge for the bullets went from 80 to 90 grains, and I used a lubed felt over powder wad, the gun bled from 85-90 but I need to get new sights before using it for hunting I think. It’s a t/c new-englander 54 cal 1:48” twist .535 bore .547” groove (i slugged it). But at 100 yards the front sight just about blocks the whole 13” target the bullet mold was a lee 540-415 that I had modified so it was no longer a minie, I machined the core pin down for a flat base and obviously the weight went from 415gr up to 485 +-1 gr (everything above or below was rejected) as far as bullet lube goes it was what ever I had on hand, probably bb, (having a hard time getting bees wax)

Sounds like you are on to Something Ivan .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt 3355125947 Regular open sights are TOUGH, I struggle with them as well, I have learned to shoot them well, But they are nowhere near as nice to get a sight picture as my Globe Front sights. That said, My Globe front sights SUCK in Low light. I prefer a Small Fiber optic bead for Hunting
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ivan Wagurak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 05/12/21, 05:38 pm

Ivan Wagurak wrote:Say,  what’s a good cold temp patch lube peanut oil or Crisco or both, I’m going to the range first thing tomorrow morning and it’s going to be below freezing

My Patch Lube is Stihl HP Ultra (Full synthetic 2 Stroke engine oil) and Peanut Oil mixed 50/50

I keep my Patch Lube in this little Spray Bottle, Simply Spritz the Patch before i load
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt ILjULNg
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

EdMehlig and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next