WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning a rifle?

2 posters

Go down

Cleaning a rifle? Empty Cleaning a rifle?

Post by Kurt 12/12/22, 10:25 am

I read a posting by Idaho Lewis and in it, he states that he uses gun oil to protect his barrel from corrosion and does not care for Bore Butter. I consider him the final arborator on this kind of thing based on his phenomenal accuracy at any range. So my question is related to the info I have gathered over the years that petroleum oils contribute to fouling build-up in the barrel, of which I assume requires a solvent to clean when swabbing between shots and greater difficulty cleaning at the end of a session or hunt. I have always used Bore Butter for that reason but my rifles don't shoot as they once did and it is either barrel degradation or me degradation, but alas I am my only constant for comparison. So. is the petroleum-based oil fouling thing a wives tales, or if it is not how is cleaning done using it since I assume petroleum resists water and detergent? And, is the Bore butter okay as a patch lube? I am considering some corrosion cleaning of my barrels and petroleum protection for the future. Thank you.

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Cleaning a rifle? Empty Re: Cleaning a rifle?

Post by Last 12/12/22, 04:39 pm

I went today forgot my spray bottle so just slobered on the patch and wipes it still shot 1 hole at 50 yds off bench at home I just wipe with alcohol wet patch till comes out clean then use wet WD40 wipe and box it. Done. It for years barrel stays shiney from one time till next.
Last
Last

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurt 12/12/22, 07:22 pm

Last, you mean you don't pump detergent water through your rifle barrel to get all the black powder residue out and dilute the salts it makes? You just wipe it with alcohol patches and coat it with WD40? Wow, if that is all that is needed I've been making a fool of myself for fifty years!

Kurt

Back to top Go down

Post by Last 14/12/22, 02:09 am

No don't stop  what u doing is best but I got a scope on mine and can't stick it in a bucket of water without removing it every time I shoot so yep I just wipe, wipe and wipe ,. R seldom do I pull nipple and  clean. When I do I suds it up.  I don't know about bore butter never used it .
Last
Last

Kurt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down