WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies

5 posters

Go down

Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies Empty Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies

Post by Admin 29/12/21, 06:54 am

I have 4 of these now, 2 .45s and 2 .50s, I can’t speak highly enough of these Hankin’s Stainless Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies, they are Very High Quality, and being Stainless they are Durable Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947  I use to use RCBS Case Lube-2 to Lube my Lead Bullets before Sizing, This lube is Water Based and will Badly Rust a Lee Sizer Die if you forget to Clean it good & Oil after use (ask me how i know Very Happy ) I have since moved away from RCBS Case Lube-2 and went to other NON Water Based Bullet Lubes for my Lead Bullet Sizing. That said, I have intentionally left Lube in my Stainless Hankins Sizers for a few Months, they show ZERO sign of corrosion  Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947

My first test run with these Dies was my Big 610 Grain .50 Cal Grease Groove Bullet, My bullets were Right on .500, They are Cast of 20-1 Alloy, the fit was to TIGHT for my liking in my 1-24 Twist Rice Barrel. I needed my Bullets .4995, With the Die SNUGGED up good in my Press with the Supplied Wrench, I ran a Bullet up in the Die and Stopped as the nose started out the Top, i started adjusting the Die til it ”Just” Grabbed the Bullet, I then sized in tiny increments until i got what i needed. I was EASILY able to obtain EXACTLY .4995, You can REALLY Dial a Bullet in to a Bore with these Things  Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947

I couldn’t be happier with these Adjustable sizer Dies, they are VERY HIGH QUALITY. This is the Long Push Stem/Rod, I use a Redding Big Boss Reloading Press and these Long Stem/Rods are a Perfect fit. The .50 Cal Push Stem/Rod measures .492 in Diameter. The Expander Plug measures .505
The .45s Measure .436-.437 for the Push Stem/Rod, And the Expander Plugs Measure .453
Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 4GZqI7J

Here is Jeff Hankins (Maker) explaining how to use his Adjustable Sizer Dies

Last edited by Idaholewis on 04/01/22, 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Maxjon, Mouldy, .50calcoyote, LR_Smoker, PUKATEA BOY 45, Gunpa and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies Empty Re: Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies

Post by Admin 29/12/21, 07:13 am

I am in the process of making (a friend with a Lathe Very Happy ) Some Extra Brass Expander Plugs, .450, .451, and .452 for my .45s (My Dies came with .453 Expanders, Sure i could use a .451 & .452 Jacketed Bullet, But what would be the fun in that? Very Happy )

And in .50 Cal, a .500, 501, .502, .503, and .504 (My Dies came with .505 Expanders)

The Size will be Clearly stamped in these Extra expanders, This will allow me to Easily jump to the Closest Size i need for a Particular Bore Without having to Adjust down in Tiny increments, I simply back the Large Nut off all the Way and Run the Expander i need through the Die, I can now make Fine increments to Get the Exact fit i am looking for Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947

Part of the Fun in having NUMEROUS Barrels with Various Bore Diameters Very Happy They each have their own Bullet Size Requirement
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

EdMehlig, Maxjon, HC, Tank, EasternOregon .50cal GPR, McLoader, PUKATEA BOY 45 and Gunpa like this post

Back to top Go down

Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies Empty Re: Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies

Post by Hillbill 06/01/22, 05:04 pm

I have several of Jeff's dies as well as Swinglock dies, both work well,Jeff's are SS, Tom's are not, keep in mind any kind of lube will make sizing inconsistent, at least that's my finding with cup and core bullets, cast bullets could be different.

I have sized literally thousands of bullets with these dies for several different calibers.

Hillbill

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 09/01/22, 09:51 pm

Hillbill wrote:I have several of Jeff's dies as well as Swinglock dies, both work well,Jeff's are SS, Tom's are not, keep in mind any kind of lube will make sizing inconsistent, at least that's my finding with cup and core bullets, cast bullets could be different.

I have sized literally thousands of bullets with these dies for several different calibers.

I am extremely pleased with mine Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947  

With Cast you really should use Lube (I even Pre-Lube the Die before i Start Sizing) a guy can easily damage the Bases of Cast Bullets, the easier you can make the Trip through the Sizer Die the Better off you are with Cast.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

LR_Smoker likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLoader 17/01/22, 05:03 pm

Those are really slick! What is made for .58 caliber along these lines? I really was hoping to buy one to size .58 bullets, now realizing they are not made bc standard press dimensions do not allow for this. It’s almost making me want to switch gears and just buy a 15/16 .50 barrel for my ML. If I ever get this rifle running I’m going to build a PowerPoint of resources for people trying to hunt with the .58 in 1:48 rifling. Seems like one roadblock after another!

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 07:39 am

McLoader wrote:Those are really slick! What is made for .58 caliber along these lines? I really was hoping to buy one to size .58 bullets, now realizing they are not made bc standard press dimensions do not allow for this. It’s almost making me want to switch gears and just buy a 15/16 .50 barrel for my ML. If I ever get this rifle running I’m going to build a PowerPoint of resources for people trying to hunt with the .58 in 1:48 rifling. Seems like one roadblock after another!

With .54 and .58 you are pretty much forced to use Custom dies that are a Set Whole size, and They are about 50 bucks a Piece. You need to know EXACTLY what size you need, Say you get a .581 and that ends up being a bit small, you order another one in .582, you are now easily at 100 Dollars in 2 Push through Sizers, it can get Expensive. I wish i had one of these Adjustable sizers for .54 Cal but that is not an option, they are made in .40, .45, and .50

Here are some of my Push through Sizers before i got my Hankins adjustable Sizers, Remember these are about 50 Dollars a Piece, there is a Lot of money sitting here on my Loading bench
Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies UkxzWZO
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLoader 18/01/22, 07:53 am

Who are you using to get the .54 custom die? Also what is your recommendation for measuring the bore exactly? I was going to use a graduated taper gauge, but I have odd numbered rifling so I’d be measuring top of land to bottom of groove. Was thinking of ordering some chamber cast alloy and doing it with a micrometer or caliper.

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 03:57 pm

Lee is where i got several of them from But i don’t believe they make Custom bullet sizer Dies anymore? I haven’t looked on Lee’s Website in a Long time. I have 2 Sizers from Tennessee Bullet Molds, they are kind of an odd design, but they get the Job done (if you look at my picture above you can see them, they are the 2 Short ones in the back) There is a Guy on The Castboolit Forum that makes them, he goes by Ammohead, also 2 other guy’s there on the Castboolit forum that go by Buckshot, and Lathesmith. Buckshot don’t make them anymore but he had several of different sizes from back inventory.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 04:06 pm

McLoader wrote:Who are you using to get the .54 custom die? Also what is your recommendation for measuring the bore exactly? I was going to use a graduated taper gauge, but I have odd numbered rifling so I’d be measuring top of land to bottom of groove. Was thinking of ordering some chamber cast alloy and doing it with a micrometer or caliper.

For measuring Bore diameter you are better with Pin Gauges. I have a Set of Hole gauges but they are tough to get an accurate reading with. Pin gauges are slick, they either fit or they don’t. In .58 Cal i would get a .580, .581, .582 and .583 to Start with, this should be all that’s needed, these will get you Darn close.

I don’t personally worry about Bore diameters, I do know what all of my Bores are. What i do is go by Bullet sizes, and what Fits each of my Bores best. I have Numerous Bullet Sizers that makes it easy for me to Figure out Bore Diameters really Close
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLoader 18/01/22, 05:25 pm

I was worried it may come down to the dowel and hammer style. That was worrying me. If that’s the case, I have access to machinery for these types of things😉. I really hate to go there if someone else is already doing it though. Thanks for the references. So just to be sure, the diameter I need for the die, and the mold, is the diameter of the bore at the top of the lands, or at the bottom of the grooves?

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 05:38 pm

McLoader wrote:I was worried it may come down to the dowel and hammer style. That was worrying me. If that’s the case, I have access to machinery for these types of things😉. I really hate to go there if someone else is already doing it though. Thanks for the references. So just to be sure, the diameter I need for the die, and the mold, is the diameter of the bore at the top of the lands, or at the bottom of the grooves?

You need the Bore Diameter, Which is Land to Land. Groove Diameter means very little to us Muzzleloader Guys, Cartridge Guy’s on the other Hand use Both Bore and Groove Diameter. If us Muzzleloader Guy’s tried to Load a Groove Diameter Bullet we would need a BIG Hammer, and some attitude Very Happy

Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies IFuhAES
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

TD BRIGHT, Gunpa and Dasblanc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by McLoader 18/01/22, 09:35 pm

So in the example you are giving above I order the accurate mold .450 (-0.000/+0.002) and the sizer should size the bullet to a final diameter of .450 (accounting for spring back, die deformation, and other factors).

McLoader

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 10:17 pm

McLoader wrote:So in the example you are giving above  I order the accurate mold .450  (-0.000/+0.002) and the sizer should size the bullet to a final diameter of .450 (accounting for spring back, die deformation, and other factors).

Once you know your Bore diameter order the Mold at .001-.002 over that Size, Then get yourself a Sizer Die that is Exactly what you need for your Bore. So lets say you have a .45 Cal with a Bore diameter of .451, You should Order the Mold to Drop at .452, and remember if using Accurate Bullet Molds he has a Tolerance Window of .002 (This is a rather Large Tolerance window) This is where your Sizer comes in, You should have a Sizer of .452, I like my Hunting Bullets about .001 over Bore Diameter so they go down Snug, and Will stay Put on the Powder Charge, For Target/Bench Shooting i prefer my Bullets to “Land Ride” I want them to Just Touch the Rifling on the Way down, I don’t want to Force them down

Last edited by Idaholewis on 18/01/22, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

TD BRIGHT and Blueberry like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 18/01/22, 10:19 pm

McLoader wrote:So in the example you are giving above  I order the accurate mold .450  (-0.000/+0.002) and the sizer should size the bullet to a final diameter of .450 (accounting for spring back, die deformation, and other factors).

Here is my “How to” When ordering from Accurate Bullet Molds
https://idaholewis.forumotion.com/t129-ordering-an-accurate-bullet-mold-how-to
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Blueberry and Rustycorvair like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Blueberry 16/02/22, 08:32 am

Best explanation ever. Thank you!!
Blueberry
Blueberry

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 54caliber 22/02/22, 03:25 pm

Lewis, I was wondering what you use for sizing your 54 caliber bullets or if someone sells a sizing pack of bullets. I used the sizing pack from No Excuses bullets for my 50 caliber and was surprised in the difference .001 will make. It would be nice if someone made a sizing pack for the .54. I am shooting a Renegade in .54 , want to use the I bullet and not sure where to start.

54caliber

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 22/02/22, 04:16 pm

54caliber wrote:Lewis, I was wondering what you use for sizing your 54 caliber bullets or if someone sells a sizing pack of bullets. I used the sizing pack from No Excuses bullets for my 50 caliber and was surprised in the difference .001 will make. It would be nice if someone made a sizing pack for the .54. I am shooting a Renegade in .54 , want to use the I bullet and not sure where to start.

I have 3-4 Custom Dies i had made by Lee, and TN Bullet Molds, There are a few guy’s stil making Custom Bullet sizing Dies, I just can’t think of them right now? I will post back when i do.

I would ask Forum member Bullshop on here (he is a Member here, name is Dan) I think that he Offers a Sizing pack for .54 Cal, i could be wrong though? Contact him, he is a great guy Hankin’s Adjustable Bullet Sizing Dies 3355125947

And yes .001 Makes a HUGE difference! You really need to Load each size and Pick the one that Fits YOUR Particular Bore the Best
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

HC and 54caliber like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down