WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing a Globe Front Sight

3 posters

Go down

Installing a Globe Front Sight Empty Installing a Globe Front Sight

Post by Admin 27/11/21, 05:48 am

How to install a Lyman 17 series Globe front Sight (Or Any Front Sight For that matter)

Things needed, Padded Vise, A Brass Drift Punch, and a 3 corner file with a “Safe Side” Both of these can be made at Home. A Modified Brass Bolt works fine, or better yet a piece of Round Stock brass about 3-4 inches long. The Brass Drift punch is so you Don’t damage the Barrel, Sight

It is VERY Likely your new 17 Globe Front sight will be to tight to fit your Dovetail, All of the Lyman 17 Globes i have done so far have been Tight, To tight, They needed Fitting to my Dovetail, Lyman makes them a little on the Large side so they can be fitted, 99.9% of Stock US Barrel Dovetails with be 3/8” (.375) The Lyman 17 Globes i have measured come in closer to .380
You can spend the BIG BUCKS and Buy an actual Gun Smithing Dovetail file like these, They have a “Safe Side” 1 of the 3 Flats is Smooth, this allows the file to slide back n forth in your Dovetail (Safe side down) and not cut, You are ONLY Cutting, enlarging the Dove Angle.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/60-dovetail-standard-slot-sight-base-files-prod698.aspx

Or you could get a Small 3 Corner file at your local Hardware like i chose to do, i ground 1 Cutting edge off Square on a Hard Bench mounted Belt Sander to make a “Safe Side” (mine is a Nicholson, AWESOME files :lewis:)
Installing a Globe Front Sight YLDGH2p

This is Somewhat of a Tedious process, GO SLOW and CHECK OFTEN!

If you only need a few Thou removed to fit, you can take it off the Bottom of the Sight Dove itself, I don’t recommend doing this if it’s Anymore than a few Thou, Any more than that and you need to Either Take material Away from the Front sight Dovetail (make it smaller) or Open the Barrel Dovetail (make it bigger) i have done both, i prefer slightly enlarging the Barrel Dovetail, I place the Barrel in a Padded Vise and Snug it up to do this.

On the other Hand, if your Front sight fits to loose in the Barrel Dovetail, If it is just loose enough that you don’t fully trust it from possibly moving, Use some Red Loctite! That will HOLD IT LIKE A ROCK, yet you can stil Drift it out. But if the Front sight is Quite loose, You will need to Build the Bottom of the Sight Dovetail up with Shim stock until you get it Tight.

NONE of this stuff is hard to do, grab the Bull by the Horns and do it! Quit Paying a Gunsmith to do these SIMPLE things!
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Back to top Go down

Installing a Globe Front Sight Empty Re: Installing a Globe Front Sight

Post by Admin 27/11/21, 05:55 am

I use the Lyman 17AHB on my TC Hawken’s and Renegades, This is Lyman’s Lowest Globe at .404 High

A few pics of 17AHB Globes i have mounted on my Rifles
Installing a Globe Front Sight YgNKL2f
Installing a Globe Front Sight OFkpDYz
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

EdMehlig, SharpTexan and SimonButler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SimonButler 07/12/21, 11:40 am

Idaholewis wrote:I use the Lyman 17AHB on my TC Hawken’s and Renegades, This is Lyman’s Lowest Globe at .404 High

Installing a Globe Front Sight YgNKL2f
Installing a Globe Front Sight OFkpDYz

Is that proper height for a Williams/Lyman tang sight or are you using that front sight with the Lee Shaver tang sight?

SimonButler

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 07/12/21, 04:59 pm

SimonButler wrote:
Idaholewis wrote:I use the Lyman 17AHB on my TC Hawken’s and Renegades, This is Lyman’s Lowest Globe at .404 High

Is that proper height for a Williams/Lyman tang sight or are you using that front sight with the Lee Shaver tang sight?

Yes, the Lyman 17AHB Globe (.404 high) is what i use with the Lyman and the Williams Tang Peep sights
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

SimonButler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 08/12/21, 08:42 am

wish I would of read this before I ordered the 17aEuropean dovetail for my GPR oh well lol 😆

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down