WELCOME to High Plains Muzzle Loading Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

+6
Ivan Wagurak
EdMehlig
Harleysboss
George_Kelley
Bushfire
Admin
10 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 Empty Re: .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

Post by Ivan Wagurak 02/01/22, 06:09 pm

Lewis I did end up shimming it, it looked to me like it was pointing up and over the front sight and now it’s pointing right at the sight like it’s supposed to. And with that fp hawken I can actually see my front sight and the targets clearly 😁 but I got rained out today so it’ll have to wait till next time
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 2edfe610
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

EdMehlig and EasternOregon .50cal GPR like this post

Back to top Go down

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 Empty Re: .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt

Post by Admin 03/01/22, 06:39 am

Ivan, I say you have it WAY over Shimmed, and in the wrong direction to boot. 1 washer up front, and 2 in the back are all i have ever had to use, I have done this to 15-20 Rifles.

Here is one of my FP Hawken’s on a TC Hawken Rifle, here you can see i only have 1 Shim and it’s in the Front
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 5Sjy5Up

And here is my TC New Englander with Lyman 57SML, I went 2 in front and 2 in back just to raise the sight some, My New Englander really didn’t need Shimmed to correct Forward Tilt
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 7ZkM9Xe

Here is what you want, Pull the Slider and lay a Level on the Flat top of the Sight base, the level should run right with the Barrel

Here you can see how much tilt forward is needed to correct, I used a Level, but you can use any straight edge that is Long enough to run out by the Stock Forend so you can see What’s going on, and how much Shim you need to correct it
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 4lkomkE

And here you can see after i Shimmed, this is what you are looking to achieve, you want the Straight edge to run true with the Stock, It doesn’t have to be perfect, just as close as you can get it
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 IDBhXmu

Last edited by Idaholewis on 03/01/22, 07:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://WWW.BS-BP.COM

Ivan Wagurak and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 03/01/22, 06:50 am

If i were to setup 15 TC Rifles, 14 of them would need 2 Washers in front, and 1 in the back. Like i said above, my TC New Englander didn’t even need Shimmed for Tilt/Lean, i added them to Raise the Sight slightly, and i kept them even

Do the Straight edge thing i showed above and it will show you how much Tilt/Lean there is, and what you need to do to correct it
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Ivan Wagurak likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 03/01/22, 07:39 am

Good to know I’ll run a straight edge over the base and see definitely appreciate the info for sure
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 03/01/22, 08:29 pm

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 124dfc10

Lewis I took the front shim out and 2 of the rear shims out. It set high on the front with the straight edge but not by much. Me being me I wasn’t happy where you said get it as close as possible so I got to thinking if 3 is too much and 2 isn’t enough……. Do you smell any smoke in Idaho yet?😂 I thought what do I have that can give me 1/2 thickness of a washer. Well it was an add a weight washer from one of my old broad heads and it’s as perfect as I’m going to get it 😁thanks
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 03/01/22, 09:07 pm

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 Image10
Forgot to add this one Lewis 😁
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin and LR_Smoker like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 05/01/22, 08:00 am

Lewis I have a question on lube thickness and consistency. I stumbled across a forum on rokslide that you wrote and you mentioned “good soft lube”. Can you explain this more for me? Does it smear easily and so on. You were talking about bullet lubed and you mentioned your modified nasa lube and what you did with it. I just having a hard time picturing the consistency and how it should feel in my fingers so I know if what I have is close to being right. I don’t have the nasa lube yet I have a bunch of stuff on hand. But you also mentioned “keep it thin to win” too. Those phrases in quotes have been sticking in my head. Thanks for your explanations. I’m going to the range tomorrow weather is supposed to be good enough so I have time to alter what I have if need be
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 05/01/22, 08:53 am

Sight looks PERFECT Ivan .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 3355125947

As for Lube thickness and consistency, I have proven over & over that a Thin Lube will outshoot a Thicker Lube, Certain thick lubes in Deep Grease Groove Bullets will not Shed away evenly as the Bullet Exits and Travels toward it’s destination. In my experience from LOTS of Testing this uneven Lube dispersion causes poor Accuracy, like a Car Tire that is “Out of Round, Out of Balance”

Thickness, Consistency is hard to explain, I have a “Feel for it” My Lubes are just thick enough to Stick in the Grooves reasonably well. My Lubed Bullets can be messy, and need to be handled gently, I don’t mind dealing with my Thinner Lubes, They will outshoot Thicker Lubes any day .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 05/01/22, 10:35 am

Lewis it sounds like it has a similar consistency to say bore butter for lack of better terms, Just that thin and pliable is what i mean, but way way better. The stuff i have is good but i feel is way to stiff. I can take a piece and work it 1 second in my fingers and it will soften and smear. Im just not sure if this is not soft enough
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 05/01/22, 08:19 pm

Ivan Wagurak wrote:Lewis it sounds like it has a similar consistency to say bore butter for lack of better terms, Just that thin and pliable is what i mean, but way way better. The stuff i have is good but i feel is way to stiff. I can take a piece and work it 1 second in my fingers and it will soften and smear. Im just not sure if this is not soft enough

It would be fairly similar to Bore Butter consistency, This is just MUCH MUCH better Lube .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 3355125947 I am Looking forward to your Results with your new Lube, definitely keep it posted .54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 3355125947
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 06/01/22, 05:16 am

Thanks Lewis! What’s neat with mine is it has the same texture if you will and consistency at 10*f, as it does 70*f. Just for the fun of it I put some on a patch and froze it for 6 hours, then pulled the patch out and it was still just as flexible and if there was nothing on it, I lubed just one side of the patch but when I pulled the patch out you could tell there was just a tad bit of something on the other side kinds of like bear grease I guess. I’ve have to wait till the range opens today before I can start shootin
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 06/01/22, 11:54 am

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 48dd6b10
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 07561c10

Got some range time in today. Here’s couple of 50 yards groups, not all of them these are after I got the new sight dialed in better. They could have been a bit tighter for my liking though. I think my lube is still too thick also. These were from my 54 ne. Not all the repair stickers were from today I only shot 24 times 😁 it’s an old target for sighting in. The shots at 100 leave a lot to be desired though I pulled 2 go figure. I think the vertical adjustment is good but way right, and not right at all, nice and flat but 8” wide so that may be me or I need to change something those pics will follow this. I’m shooting 777 3f 70gr but I weigh them out so it’s 53gr on a scale to keep thing consistent and musket caps for a little more heat. I used Lewis’s cleaning method between and solution shots again for consistency. And I used an actual bench rest for the for-end. So the big ? is what to change next. I used 70gr volume only for a starting point and didn’t change it while sighting in

Last edited by Ivan Wagurak on 06/01/22, 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 06/01/22, 12:05 pm

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 Cb50ee10
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 Af255110

I also found 2 of the over powder wads in good shape too. I did try a few prb’s but something isn’t right I usually use a .020” and these are .018” 2 are pre lubed the one with the semi square side is my lube so beings that weren’t working I decided it was better to shoot the big lead the 54-510M to be exact 😁. But as you can see 100 yards isn’t working at all. 1st shot Bottom center, 2nd pulled that shot just right of the first, adjusted sight up, 3rd right on the 10 ring, 4th pulled again hit the repair patch🥺, 5th way right but height was good. Good thing I’ve got more powder 😂
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 06/01/22, 12:44 pm

I only have 1lb of real black but I got 3lbs of pyrodex rs (nasty stuff) that was given to me, 3lbs of 2f t7 and 3lbs of 3f t7 I can use. So as you can see I have a few options but right now Swiss is like $53 a pound so I’d like to shoot what I have for the moment lol. Once it’s dialed in then I can get something better and really fine tune it, but I’ve got to say I like the clean up with t7 though, yes still clean it as soon as I get home just like bp though just doesn’t take as long
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 06/01/22, 02:38 pm

But I can say the over all at 100 is better with the new rear sight, the over all was twice as high and twice as wide. So it’s still an improvement over all. My ne still has the original front blade sight, which has that huge built in bead. I’m wondering if I should file that down some to give me a finer point of aim. I filed it some and now it’s only covering 1/2 the 9 ring and in. hmmmmm

Before I forget any charge of the t7 3f over 75 gr by volume is a guarantee miss fire 7 out of 10 times. The ignition source doesn’t make any difference either #11’s all brands and types and musket caps alike. Seems like my ne is being finicky lol. I may just bite the bullet and use the last of my goex and see
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by EasternOregon .50cal GPR 07/01/22, 05:55 am

I have a slimed down t/c front sight I will mail you if you want it

EasternOregon .50cal GPR

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 07/01/22, 06:30 am

EasternOregon .50cal GPR wrote:I have a slimed down t/c front sight I will mail you if you want it

Sure I’d appreciate that thank you. I’ll pm you my address
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

EasternOregon .50cal GPR likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 09/01/22, 06:31 am

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 B28ac410

Figured out the patch problem. Seems like the ticking isn’t compressing like the other cotton patches . I figured where I was using .020” cotton the .018” ticking would load easier….. Nope they loaded harder for me and damaged the ticking patches when starting them. (Doesn’t do it with the cotton one). the rb’s I use are hornady swaged balls are ..530” but when I measured them they were .533”  so I’ll pour some today and see if I can get them to drop closer to .525”. The mold I have drops spot on at .530” with wheel weight so I’ll at least try with the dead soft lead I have and see
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 09/01/22, 01:39 pm

.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 24484810
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 3464b610

Got the rb’s to drop smaller and They are snug but not overly tight so they don’t need a hammer like in my previous post. They load with the ticking way better. Does any one think the patch is still being damaged? To me it looks like it’s just pressing the lube out of the fabric. I’m open to opinions and thoughts. I can’t get to the range till next week end. Thanks
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/01/22, 06:08 am

If you are not confident in your front sight i would Start there. Try and find a Small 1/16” or even a 3/32” Fiber Optic Bead.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 11/01/22, 07:25 am

Yah the front bead covers just about the whole target at 100 making it kind of difficult to get any serious accuracy
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/01/22, 07:51 am

Ivan Wagurak wrote:Yah the front bead covers just about the whole target at 100 making it kind of difficult to get any serious accuracy

I struggle with this same thing when i use Regular Open Sights, Most of my Rifles are setup with Tang Peep sights and Globe front sights, I use Lee Shaver inserts in my Globes, they allow me to get the Finest sight picture possible. I can literally hold on a Pop can at 100 Yards and not cover it up
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

George_Kelley and Ivan Wagurak like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/01/22, 07:57 am

Give you an idea what i’m talking about

This is one of my Lee Shaver 17 series Globes, they come with a Spirit Level
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 HI5L7nF

And here you can see the Difference between a Lee Shaver insert (Right) and Regular Bead & Blade front sights that come standard on most Rifles, there is simply NO Comparison
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 FBEdZTc
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin 11/01/22, 08:05 am

The Lyman 17AHB is my Favorite Globe sight for Rifles i don’t plan to Shoot over 300 or So yards. My Long Range Rifles on the other hand Have Adjustable front sights with Spirit levels in them

One of my Long Range Globes
.54 Cal Green Mountain LRH, Prep for upcoming Cow Elk Hunt - Page 4 IJLLuhg
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ivan Wagurak 11/01/22, 09:22 am

The 17AHB is actually the sight I’m looking at getting for that very reason. I can put in what ever insert for what ever reason. 👍
Ivan Wagurak
Ivan Wagurak

Admin likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next